Modsquad Update For The Week Ending July 21, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. MrEmh Jedi Knight

star 2
  2. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    I know when PreacherBoy was running Games, they started to institute the Games topics in Games only threads strictly. That was a year ago, at least. howlrunner was more lenient about it though, and there were a few Games topics in YJCC... they all sunk to the bottom, below the heaps of spam in Community.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The YJCC and Games policies are fine as they are when it comes to what's allowed in them, concerning game topics.
  3. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "My point is that Games needs all of the traffic it can get."

Like I said, this will not affect the status quo of Games in any way. Having one or two "community" threads about games in YJCC will not suddenly make Games a desolate wasteland.

For the record, these are the type of threads that would be allowed in YJCC if this goes through:

* General "favorite games" or "favorite console" threads.

* Appreciation threads for games that have branched out into the non-gamer world (like Mario, Zelda, Street Fighter or Final Fantasy).

* Community-type threads about video game characters, storylines, dialog, childhood experiences, etc.. Examples: "Who would win in a fight, Lara Croft or Samus Aran?", "Video game quote-a-thon!", "Which is the hottest video game babe?", "Weirdest arcade experiences".

* Discussion threads for when certain "event" games come out (the next Final Fantasy, Halo 2, the next Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, etc.).

Yes, there will be a bit of overlap, but it will not suddenly become Games Jr. Games will still be the place for in-depth discussion, as it has always been.

4. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    SotS, I can't think of a "best game thread" that would not degenerate into console vs desktop.

not to mention quickly having to create speerate catagories by types of games.

Feel free to try though, just make sure they got moderated.
  5. Obi_Wan_01 Force Ghost

star 5
    SOTS... I think the last point you made there should be left in the Games Forum.
  6. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "SotS, I can't think of a "best game thread" that would not degenerate into console vs desktop."

This happens all the time in Games. What's your point?

" not to mention quickly having to create speerate catagories by types of games."

I don't think that will come up. And if it does, it would be no different than the many similar movie or music threads.

" Feel free to try though, just make sure they got moderated."

Of course.

" SOTS... I think the last point you made there should be left in the Games Forum."

Yeah, that's a tricky one, which is why I left it for last.
  7. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    The Gatherer wondered, "I wanted to post a fiction story I was working on to the Fan Fiction forum, but the thread came up with (nt) after the title, and the thread was blank. Do we have a post size limit?" Consensus: probably, but we don't know the exact size.

I know that Oakessteve posted a TPM re-write in the TPM Forum ( not that I'm plugging his re-write in anyway ). It's large, a full lenght script, and it's appeared just fine.

One solution to this is just to break it up into multiple posts, which will load quicker when people want to view it, so I'd say is a generally good idea.

Celebration quickly ensued, with Gandolf the Grey voicing what was on all our minds, "LOL. We find a way around sticky topics, and then we get them a few weeks later. " Look for them soon in a forum near you!

So, does this mean that we'll do away with the headers? Honestly, I thought the new headers looked a bit cluttered, myself. I can say that in the Houston Fanforce forum, once sticky's are available, I will reduce the headers, if not get rid of them entirely, so I'm curious if that's what the administration had in mind?
  8. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    No, the headers will be staying. It turns out that the sticky thread feature isn't what we were hoping for. You can only make new threads "sticky", meaning we'd have to repost a whole lot of threads to make them appear at the top. And there are also problems with making the threads "unsticky".
  9. JangoFettClone Jedi Master

star 4
    I say put the Games forum under Community since it's not only for star wars related games now.
  10. SaberSlinger Jedi Master

star 4
    Hurry up homerun, you're gonna be a permanent resident

Who's homerun :confused:

o]||||{ -------SaberSlinger-------
  11. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I say put the Games forum under Community since it's not only for star wars related games now.

Alot of games are EU based, hense why it is in EU and is fine there.

And it hasent been just 'for star wars games' since chyren left, so about 2-2 1/2 years.

12. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, but more games are non EU-Based, which is why we're thinking of moving it too community.
  13. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

I would think moving the forum to Community would generate more traffic for Games...

Or am I wrong?

14. Master Salty Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I don't see where it would hurt to move it to Community. I think more users would see the Games forum if it was listed with the Senate, YJCC, Amphitheater, Census, and Big Brother House.

There are a lot of us that play video games online. To me, the Games Forum should be another part of the JC "community". It would fit in nicely with all the forums in the Community section.
  15. Dan Force Ghost

star 6
    Games will get more traffic in the EU section. An example:

I come to these boards looking for some cool Star Wars discussion. Not for talking about non-Star Wars games. However, I do like Star Wars games a bit.

Since I like SW games, I would logically look under the EU section of a Star Wars board to discuss Star Wars games. I wouldn't go to a miscellaneous section of a SW message board to look for SW games discussion.

That's my take on the situation, though I could be wrong (but the last time I was wrong was like 42 years ago ;)).

As for your four examples, SotS, I guess I really can't argue that too much, although I'd still like to not see it happen.

I think #3 is a definite-okay for YJCC.
    #2 is a bit iffy, but we have plenty of those threads in Games... I see no need for that in YJCC, really. And #2 would be okay, I suppose. There's already a rather large FF thread there.

But I cannot tell you how much I disagree with #4. That one would take away from Games traffic. Who would post in Games when they have a large thread in Community already? And that sort of thread is exactly the sort of thing that goes well in Games. We have several of them in there right now. Of all your options, I really don't think #4 would be a good idea at all.
  16. -Soup Jedi Youngling

Consoles are crap. Look what a console did to Deus Ex! Down with wannabe mods, they're very annoying. Face it, Great console games are about as compelling as mediocre pc games. You got nothin! c64 forever
  17. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wow.

And what the hell does that have to do with anything?
  18. -Soup Jedi Youngling

Everything.

We need to focus on what is really important. Not what mod x ate for lunch!
  19. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I had watermelon. It was tasty and sweet.
  20. -Soup Jedi Youngling

We grow watermelons here. I'll tell you tho, we have more tomatoes than anyone on the planet, they're all over the kitchen counters. We even found ants trying to get into them. I'm just a newbie farmer tho, so they're not the best on the planet. We have watermelon, tomatoes, ocra?, cantalope. It's rediculous. I can feed the whole jc. I know I'm off topic so I'll leave it, unless someone says "You suck!" or something. Then I'll have to come back and speak more truth.
  21. Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Ok, since it looks like it could be harmful to Games, you can take away #4 from the proposed list of topics for YJCC.

As for #1... one official "favorite game" and one "favorite console" thread started by a moderator would be fine, IMHO. As Games and YJCC are each frequented by different people, the opinions would be different. And with their official status, they would be the only threads on those topics there; any others would be closed.

22. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    A replacement #4 could be the old chestnut PS2 vs. NGC vs. X-Box "discussion", SotS.

[face_mischief]

Edit: I guess that would fall under "favourite console" wouldn't it? Move along...
  23. WSAENOTSOCK Jedi Knight

star 1
    I had a rather pithy commentary about Games being moved to YJCC when Debo (a while back)made his comms thread about change proposals. I won't bother digging it up as jp and Dan and the others have covered most of it. But I'll add a few more:

Why not put "Favorite console/computer games" and your other games-related thread proposals in Census instead?? It'll achieve the same effect, albeit less banter and less traffic. This way, it eliminates ambiguity concerning what topics are allowed and who are allowed to post it. Who gives the call on what games are popular enough to put in YJCC?? Is it too hard for YJCCers to click an extra link to go to the Games board?

On the other hand, I don't see any problems with Games going under Community instead of EU.

As for the character limit, I believe AlienAcid had a thread about it a while back (a year or so?) but was quickly shut down because the mods thought it was spam/unnecessary. This was despite someone mentioning that at least it was for informing people of the character limit.
    If I remember correctly, it was 10,000 characters.
  24. AlienAcid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    haha omg that was for the forceboats 1000 post

and it was about 99 pages in word pad at 12 font.
  25. Red-Seven Manager Emeritus

star 5
    SS, I think he has misheard Han's line to 'Goldenrod' and heard 'homerun' in ESB.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.