main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ModSquad Update - July 20 to July 26, 2003

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Genghis12, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The rule's NOT changing, and only one of us (two of us?) has felt compelled to resign due to the issue. I think anyone else that was going to would have by now.

No offense, but if that's the case, you guys have lost a bit of respect for not standing up for your convictions.

Anata baka?

2. BOBAFETISH

BOBAFETISH Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    I find it strange that an issue like homosexuality, which is so divisive in the rest of the country, is so overwhelmingly agreed on by the TFN core staff.

It sounds a little like the voter results in Iraq not so long ago. Now I am not saying that Josh is Hussein like or anything like that. I'm just saying that these results make me think that either:

A: One requirement to be a TFN core staff member is to share Josh's sensibilites.

B: Josh's staff are all yes men who will not question.

3. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    A: One requirement to be a TFN core staff member is to share Josh's sensibilites.

Most people in interviewing and hiring in the private sector take the value system of prospective employees into account. I don't see how this is a bad thing. Also, I know it's hard for you to believe, but even the latest polls show at best an even number of people that do not see homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle as do. That said, is it so surprising that the staff might agree with Josh on this issue?

As an aside, I was told by a staff member a while back that the decision was reached by the staff as a whole, not just by Josh. So, though he is the enforcer and final arbiter, the rule is not his and his alone.

4. BOBAFETISH

Feb 19, 2001
    Qui-Gon-Jim 23

I didn't state that his hiring practices were bad, just that these were potential reasons why what is normally divisive recieved 100% agreement in this case.

Also, I mentioned that this was a divisive issue- You countered by saying that almost 50 percent feel one way. Is this not in agreement with my satement? Or are you just stating random facts as usual in lieu of adding anything useful to a debate, and generally pandering to the staff? This , as far as I know, is a forum for communicating with mods and admins, not wanna-be mods and admins. If and when you become a mod(for your loyalty), I will listen to you and believe you speak for the staff. Until then, try and read a post before you chime in.

Dagsy edit: Removing unnecessary attack

5. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Nice. That statistic was simply stated as a demonstration that those who disagree with homosexuality as viable lifestyle is not the vast minority you portray it to be and that it's probable that the entire staff would agree with it.

Now if you were in Comms for more than your semi-regular gay issue crusade and had read my posts for once, you might actually notice that I disagree with the adminstration quite often. I would appreciate in the future if you have no real answer to my arguments that you kindly not respond rather than tossing about weak, uninformed insults.

6. BOBAFETISH

Feb 19, 2001
    Wow. I should read more of your past posts before responding to your response to my post? Ummm...no.

Again- I said divisive. You apparently seem to think this word means minority. The very root of the word divide means to cut into two parts! Therefore, your statement that nearly 50% of people feels one way BACKS UP MY STATEMENT! If HALF usually feel one way, it is strange that ALL in the TFN staff feel the same way. Not evil, not bad...just strange.

I will now accept your apology.

7. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Thanks dp-4m, a straight answer!
    Not sure why it took 200+ posts to get but....thanks anyway.

:)

8. BOBAFETISH

Feb 19, 2001
    I'm still waiting for my apology. I'm already on the verge of a possible ban for my uneccesary attack(is there a necessary attack?). I was right.Say it. Bobafetish was right. I argued with him without knowing what I was saying or what he was saying. Say it!

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No offense, but if that's the case, you guys have lost a bit of respect for not standing up for your convictions.

I support capitalism, since that's the primary ideology of the United States. Under that rule, a private owner is free to do as he or she pleases with their businesses.

Will I go out to gay clubs with my gay friends? Hells yes, I like the 80s music and cheaper drinks I get there.
    Will I support my gay friends with their lifestyle? Hells yes, I think everyone from a legal standpoint deserves to be treated equally.

None of those are contradictory to my support of the TF.n Staff with their decision here.

Out of curiosity, did you write letters to Augusta National demanding that they admit women into the golf club, or did you say "Meh" like the other 90% of the people who didn't care (like me)?

EDIT: Thanks dp-4m, a straight answer!

No pun intended, I'm sure... ;)

10. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Josh told at60 he would sell his part of tfn for $50,000 US funds, so the obvious solution is to buy his 1/3 and then change the rules.

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    << Checks Mega millions numbers

*drat*

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Again- I said divisive. You apparently seem to think this word means minority. The very root of the word divide means to cut into two parts! Therefore, your statement that nearly 50% of people feels one way BACKS UP MY STATEMENT! If HALF usually feel one way, it is strange that ALL in the TFN staff feel the same way. Not evil, not bad...just strange.

Actually, if an issue is merely 50/50, it's not at all unlikely or strange that 9 people would agree. 9 is hardly a viable statistical sample size, so it's very unlikely that any 9 random people would be split 50/50 (assuming it could happen, I'm well aware 9 is an odd number).

Amazing.

13. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    dp4m

I'm not talking about those who are ambigious on this issue, or "meh" as you put it, but I'm talking about the mods who claim to not like the rule at all.

Either you voice your concerns to J*sh, or stop saying you don't like the rule.

If you're "meh" on this issue, don't try to pander to both sides on the issue.

"I think the rule stinks, but I'll continue to do as J*sh says."

If you don't like it, then stand up for your convictions. At the very least say you're doing it under duress. And I mean be public about it.

I know alot of you like being mods, but is it worth your convictions for a little bit of psuedo-power?

Anata baka?!

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If you don't like it, then stand up for your convictions. At the very least say you're doing it under duress. And I mean be public about it.

Okay, let me be more clear:

"I do not like the rule LESS than I believe a free-market owner has the right to run their business the way they see fit."

Coo'?

15. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    dp4m

That's what I'm asking for.

Anata baka?!

16. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    No one is disputing that Josh and co. have the right to make any rules they want. Legally, they have that right. But it seems alot of people, including alot of mods, believe the rule to be ethically wrong. If anyone believed it was legally wrong, we would be suing, rather than discussing it here.

He has the right to make whatever rules he wants.

We have the right to disagree with them.

If he wants to be a real hardass about it, he has the right to ban people for disagreeing.

17. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    If you disagree with the rules so much, why stay on the site complaining about it? If it's obviously not going to change, why not just leave?

I'm not telling you to go away, I'm asking you a question. If this rule offends you so much, why not find a site that fits your standards and post there?

I personally don't have a problem with this standard because it's obviously what the management wants. I really don't see why this has to become an issue here. It sucks for anyone who's gay or wants to write gay fanfic or whatever, but that's just not accepted here. I'm sure there are a thousand other sites where it could be posted/read.

I dunno, maybe I just don't get it.

18. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Because aside from a few of the rules, I generally like this place and think it's worth improving.

What you suggest is the equivilant of a boycott. However, I don't think that will be very effective in this case. So I'm doing the equivilant of writing complaint letters. Both are valid ways of expressing disagreement with a private establishment.

19. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I dunno, maybe I just don't get it.

Maybe you don't.

Look, no one ever changed anything by shutting up or running away, that's why we keep talking about it.

Anata baka?!

20. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    the way i see it- this is some guys site- his choices! whether i disagree or agree with him- its his site. simple.

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    the way i see it- this is some guys site- his choices! whether i disagree or agree with him- its his site. simple.

No one's disputing that.

But we can appeal to him to change the rule.

Thus this post and many others.

Anata baka?!

22. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
  23. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    It seems, however, like you're harrassing the site owner's employees rather than writing in letters of complaint. If it were a letter campaign, you would PM the person who made the decision, not continually post to his underlings about how unfair it is.

That's just my opinion, obviously. It just seems that you're going out of your way to do nothing but complain fruitlessly.

24. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    If he wants to be a real hardass about it, he has the right to ban people for disagreeing.

Well seeing as how nobody has been banned for simply disagreeing, your "hardass" theory goes out the window. I think Josh is just avoiding this as much as possible so as not to stir the pot anymore.

He's already set down his position.

25. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    It seems, however, like you're harrassing the site owner's employees rather than writing in letters of complaint. If it were a letter campaign, you would PM the person who made the decision, not continually post to his underlings about how unfair it is.

Well, I'm not whining to them about how the rule is unfair, I'm whining to them, because they claim to be against the rule while not actually doing anything about it.

Anata baka?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.