main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Moments of funny, Hmmm?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sariel2005, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    "Why, once Han thought about it, there was no telling what you could do with a whuffa!"

Children of the Jedi would have been the best novel in all of SW if it was told entirely from the POV of the Affytechans.

2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    "Nobody move. This is a hold-up."
    "HAN!"
    "Right, sorry. Nobody move, this is a coup."

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Three words that make me crack up (and now tear up, RIP Aaron) every time they appear.

"Yub yub, Commander."

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ben: "We're choosing new names?"
    Luke: "No."
    Ben: "Oh. That's sad. I was looking forward to being Sparky."
    Luke: "Sounds like a name for a monkey-lizard."
    Ben: "And you could be Grand Master Whango Mittphool."
    Luke: "Not in this lifetime."

KamNale, Iron_lord and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, where is that from?

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    the books that should not be named

Breaking that, I would guess Outcast.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Even within a horrible series, Allston still gave us memorable, funny dialogue. The worst thing about the newer books coming is that he won't be writing any; I'd have loved to see his name on a cover again.

8. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Per DM, it's Outcast. Allston's books always were the best in those series. :(

9. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    "Please don't resist, sir... I'm only working as a security officer to help me through school!"

10. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    My favorite unintentional (I presume) line of humor comes from the Glove of Darth Vader Glossary:
    "Whaladons: Whale-like mammals that live underwater on Calamari, the water world that is the home of the respected Rebel, Admiral Ackbar, a fishman."
    Apparently it is vital to understanding what a Whaladon is that you know that Admiral Ackbar is a fishman.

Honorary mention - Artoo's infamous one-liner from the same novel: "Dweeeet bchooo tzniiiiiiiit!"

11. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Pretty much the entire chapter portion pertaining to Hobbie, but as the cherry on top:

Hobbie: "Have I told you today how much I really, really hate you?"
    Janson: "Oh, sure, your lips say 'I hate you' but your eyes say—"
    Hobbie: "That someday I'll murder you in your sleep?"

- Hobbie & Wes, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Stover wrote Hobbie and Janson like they were straight out of Starfighters of Adumar. It was amazing.

jSarek and Iron_lord like this.
  13. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    The whole friggin' book was amazing. :D

Iron_lord and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Bumped at request!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    JediBatman’s recent remarks in the Lit social thread about the Death Trooper audiobook made me think of this thread:

I love unintentionally or mildly intentionally funny stuff in the middle of a story, even if it’s not intended to be LOL-worthy. Some of the ones in the new EU that come to mind:

-Han’s increasingly bizarre pronunciations of “Droid Gotra” in Most Wanted

-Holdo, at least as written by Claudia Gray (although I don’t think many others have tried). Like when she stows away unknown to some Quarren shipping pilots in the Princess Leia novel, and then they start so awkwardly making out with suckers and tentacles when they think no one is looking, and Holdo shouts “I’m so happy you two have found each other!”

-Speaking of, same novel: when Mon Mothma and Bail fake a love affair when Tarkin crashes their rebel-planning Alderaan dinner party. And Leia thinks it’s real, and cries. And Tarkin storms out of the room with a literal “I bid you good day!” before slamming the doors because it’s so incredibly awkward. Honestly that’s probably one of the best humorous scenes ever, even though it eventually leads to the most dire consequences.

-The Canto Bight novel had some really good ones, by all four authors… like the two creepy rich twins who try to take something from every hotel they visit out of amusement, and end up taking a poor desk clerk because they ran out of ideas.

There are a lot more, and I haven’t read any of the new comics and I’m sure those have a ton.

16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My favorite entry from the FACPOV anthology ("An Incident Report" by Mallory Ortberg) was Motti's grievance filed to Imperial HR about an instance of workplace harassment:

From an interview with the author:

And from the comics, a gag in issue #23 of Soule's Darth Vader series: Every time one of Momin's designs for Vader's fortress fails, Vader kills the mask's host body, then quickly finds a replacement for the mask to possess, at one point even using a lava flea.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why is a Jedi never lonely?
    Because, the Force is always with them!

JediBatman and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Sarn Shild: "It is my intention to wipe out the smuggling trade, and bring the Hutt crimes lords to their knees! ... Um... figuratively speaking, of course."

19. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Allston was tough to beat, for humour, certainly. And I've always found Courtship of Princess Leia pretty underrated, as books go (even if Zsinj's and Melvar's characterizations were a bit jarring, read after Solo Command) It certainly has some funny Threepio and Han scenes.

20. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Allston is the first to spring to mind. Though there are some great moments in the newer books, too. Kanan trying to flirt with Rae Sloane always made me chuckle.

"I'm Dod. This is my brother Fod. Also from Agamar. This is my brother Lod." "Also from Agamar." "Oyah. That's right. You're pretty sharp for a city man."

21. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Oyah (bobs head)

Cracian_Thumper and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    "I'm too old for this, I'm a businessman, I'm too old for this, I want a drink!" - Lando's battle chant, from Enemy Lines I Rebel Dream.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Palpatine in Clone Wars is really great.

Grievous: [smashes through window]
    Palpatine: "How dare you barge into my private residence? Who do you think you are?"

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This was one of the best scenes in cartoon history.