Before Moments that Bind....when Qui becomes deathly ill, Obi reflects....mush...CONCLUDED 11/20!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Oct 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Title: Moments that Bind
    Author: Durhelediel
    Rating: PG
    Disclaimer: All Star Wars characters that have received screen time belong to George Lucas. Master Healer Han'yaie belongs to Layren, and we share Padawan Anya. Tangoria is my special name for Earth and if you use it in that context, please ask me first. Thanks!
    Dedication: This fic is specifically written for Layren by request. This is my "get well" gift to her as she recovers from pneumonia. Enjoy, Layren!

Chapter One

A hard, rasping cough jolted Obi-Wan Kenobi out of a deep sleep. Frowning in the grey of early morning, the fifteen year old Jedi Padawan tuned his ears to a high sensitivity as he listened for that which woke him so abruptly and left him feeling as though something was just not right. After a moment, the wracking cough came again from the living quarters near his own.

Slipping out of the warmth of bed, Obi-Wan quickly donned his clothes and then stepped quietly toward his master's sleep chamber. While he peered into the enveloping darkness of Qui-Gon Jinn's room, another choking cough sounded to his ears.

Truly alarmed, Obi-Wan rushed into the small room and bent to check his master's facial skin. The skin was hot and dry, but a thin sheen of perspiration covered his face, catching droplets in his beard.

"Master?" Obi-Wan ventured uncertainly. His master never got sick?not on his own, anyway.

Qui-Gon's eyes fluttered open. The green depths, normally clear and commanding, were hazy and cloudy. Qui-Gon's voice was weak and thready when he answered, "Padawan?"

Obi-Wan's distress for his master was evident in his features. "What is it, Master? What's wrong?"

Qui-Gon groaned and turned his head listlessly upon the pillow. All he could manage through a thick throat was, "Sick."

Obi-Wan wasted no time in retrieving a comlink to call a healer.

~~~~
    "How long has he had this high fever?" Master Healer Han'yaie inquired sharply at the boy standing beside him.

Obi-Wan's eyes did not waver as he watched his master aided in breathing easier by a strange type of machine that also periodically suctioned fluid out of Qui-Gon's lungs. Fretfully, Obi-Wan shook his head and answered, "I don't know. I woke to his coughing and just?felt something wasn't right. After I found him, I called you. He wasn't even sick yesterday."

Han'yaie consulted his datapad. "It says here that you two have recently returned from a mission to a planet named Tangoria, populated by backwater humans who have just recently discovered space flight. What did you do there with the Tangorians?"

"Earthlings," Obi-Wan corrected absentmindedly, all of his attention focused upon the one who slumbered near him.

Han'yaie frowned. "What?"

Obi-Wan suddenly realized that he had just corrected a much older and experienced Jedi Master, and he swallowed nervously as he finally faced the healer. "They call themselves 'Earthlings'. They don't even call their planet by the name in the Registry. They call it 'Earth'."

"I'll make a note of it in the Archives, but I'd appreciate it if you'd tell me what happened while you were there," Han'yaie said in a softer tone as he took in the padawan's rumpled, worried state.

Obi-Wan's eyes took on an unfocused look as he thought back. "We helped poor children, orphans. It rained there a lot and was much colder than here. Those children had no protection from the weather," he recalled, shaking his head sadly. "We delivered items to them and helped them find homes with Earthlings in a nearby area. Shortly after that, we left the Outer Rim and returned here. Do you know what's wrong with him?"

Han'yaie's padawan, Anya, suddenly appeared. He silently handed her the datapad, and she was gone just as quickly as she had arrived. Laying a supportive hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder, the elder Jedi nodded. "From that rain, cold, and sick children, Qui-Gon has contacted two vicious viruses, either of which by itself could easily be taken care of. Yet wit
  2. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Great start!! Poor Qui :( loved the idea of 'backwater' Earth! ;) Can't wait for more! :D
  3. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I think Qui-Gon needs a hug! [:D] And I had better hug Obi, too, just so he doesn't feel neglected you know! [face_whistling]

Wonderful work! =D=
  4. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Poor Qui..... yay you started it! After a really hard morning, this was something nice to come to and read -- thanks so much!
  5. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Poor Qui-Gon. He visits Earth to help children and comes home with a potentially fatal illness....uh, this is potentially fatal right?

Nice job

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  6. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hehehe....Earth is mentioned, nice touch!

Stubborn Qui, you had better not die now!

Great post, more soon!
  7. Star_Drifter Jedi Knight

star 3
    "The flu made way for the worse virus: a very old virus known as pneumonia in older Tangorian days..."

About four and a half years ago, a similar deadly combination of flu and pneumonia took the life of a friend's brother, and nearly took my own daughter. However, this was a bacterial pneumonia that was spread in conjuction with the flu.

It is by the grace of God that my daughter is still here...
  8. maychorian Jedi Master

star 4
    Aw, poor Qui-Gon. :( I know he'll got lots of TLC from Obi, though. [face_love]
  9. LilQui-Gon Jedi Knight

star 2
    OOOooo more mush stories! I hope Qui-Gon will be okay. Update soon! ;)
  10. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Kynstar- Glad to see you're still alive! heehee Have you seen my other recent works yet? Layren can direct you, I'm sure, lol. And, well, aren't we "backwater" to them? :}

Vader- Thank you! A couple more chapters to come...

Layren- Glad you are enjoying it. Now for more Qui mush...Just for you.

Kelia- Oh yes. That combo is very deadly. People today still die from the combination. :{

Arwen- Ty ty! I like to shove Earth in every once and a while cause we are out there, somewhere.

Star- I'm glad she's still here, too. ::hugs daughter::

Maychorian- Of course! But first Obi will get all mushy...which is what Layren wanted. Her precious Qui mush... :}

LilQui-Gon- Hope this is soon enough for you. Life is keeping me insanely busy lately, but I write when I can. This chap has taken me two days to write, lol.
  11. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Chapter Two

Obi-Wan neither slept nor ate as he sat anxiously at his master's side. Anya had made a point to leave food right at his elbow on a regular basis, lauding the flavor of the prepared vittles, but Obi-Wan didn't even stir. He also didn't see her concerned look on the third morning as she left the room.

The machine that labored to keep his master's lungs empty of fluids hummed constantly, always bringing to Obi-Wan's attention the severity of the situation. He fought to keep away despair, but after three days of Qui-Gon struggling to stay alive and fight the viruses battling within him the padawan was beginning to lose his own battle.

As he had done on the previous days, he decided to talk to his unconscious master. Today, though, he wouldn't tell Qui-Gon of his studies or his katas, which he had been neglecting anyway; today he would speak what was on his mind and in his heart.

"Master," he began softly, gazing upon the shallowly breathing man. "I know we've only been a team for a year or so, but I?I wanted you to know something." He paused, gathering his scattered thoughts, and then continued.

"When we first met, I wanted so badly to be a Jedi that I tried to force myself into your attention. This, I know now, wasn't the thing to do. But I felt from the very first time you looked at me to reprimand me that by your side was where I belonged. That's why I fought so hard to stay with you, even ignoring your frequent requests to stay 'where I belonged', on the ship or in the camp. You see, where I 'belonged' was right with you. I don't know when it was that you finally decided to take me as your padawan?and I admit that with the time you took to tell me you had me seriously wondering if I'd really be a farmer?but I've never regretted it. It's been a long road already, filled with long lessons in and out of the Temple, yet I feel as though I've found?"

Did he dare use that word?

Obi-Wan carefully regarded his master. The piercing eyes were closed in sleep, the beard and long hair limp with sweat and sickness, the strong arms that could both punish and comfort folded to a comfortable position. No twitch of movement in Qui-Gon's visage could be seen. After a lengthy hesitation, Obi-Wan finally decided that his master was truly deep in sleep and a healing trance, so he felt like he could say whatever it was that he wished to say without Qui-Gon hearing and rejecting his personal feelings.

"I feel as though I've found a father," the fifteen-year-old finally said quietly. "I don't remember my family; none of us do. If I ever knew my father, I would hope he would be like you: courageous, strong, independent, comforting, and always there for me, no matter what I've done.

"And I've done a lot to you since becoming your apprentice. For that, I'm so very sorry, but those were lessons I had to learn away from you. You have taught me that the Force is a constant teacher, more than you and more than me, and I have seen that proven in many situations we've come through. You probably don't trust me as much as you did?the Council doesn't, which is why they have us going to smaller worlds to keep me out of trouble until you feel comfortable around me again. I know this without you or anyone else telling me. I have felt your impatience to be given missions like you are used to, though you have never voiced your thoughts.

"Sometimes I wish you'd confide in me more; I may be young, but I know how to listen. Aren't you supposed to talk to me about what troubles you since I am your padawan? But you hold it all inside. Is it that you don't wish to worry me?"

Obi-Wan laughed softly at the thought, his gaze slightly unfocused as he thought inward. "I worry anyway, so you're not doing me any good and you might as well tell me. See what not telling me about your sickness has done now? You might die and I'm forced to sit here, helpless, watching as you waste away. You still have me shut out; I wish you'd let me in!"

Truly becoming frustrated now, he paused and took a c
  12. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

I loved the backwater humans who have recently discovered
    space flight bit.
    And the Flu it sure is going around a lot on
    Tangoria [face_sick]

Poor Obi feeling guilty, because he didn't know about his Master being sick

and Qui-Gon Why does he always want to protect his Padawan
    is it because he loves him awwwww.
    Get better Qui and give your paddy a big hug.[:D]

Great Mush [face_dancing]
  13. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Awwwwwwwwwww ... what a perfect way to start out my day! Such lovely Qui mush .. *melt melt melt*

First day back at work with the kids -- at least it's starting off right :D
  14. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wonderful update :) Glad to see Qui awake!

Loved Obi's talk there! ;)

Definitely mush!!
  15. KELIA Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Awwwwwwww....that was so heartwarming.

I liked how Obi-Wan opened up to Qui-Gon and admitted he thinks of him as a father...

And Qui-Gon being concerned about Obi-Wan after waking up that ill...very sweet.

Loved the update!

=D= =D= =D= =D=
  16. Star_Drifter Jedi Knight

star 3
    "When we first met, I wanted so badly to be a Jedi that I tried to force myself into your attention. This, I know now, wasn't the thing to do. But I felt from the very first time you looked at me to reprimand me that by your side was where I belonged. That's why I fought so hard to stay with you, even ignoring your frequent requests to stay 'where I belonged', on the ship or in the camp. You see, where I 'belonged' was right with you."

You tell him, Obi! You knew you belonged with Qui-Gon! [:D]

I am so glad that it only took three long days for poor Qui-Gon to wake up! Next time, tell your Padawan, Qui-Gon! [face_shame_on_you]

But, even knowing sometimes isn't enough to stop this horrible combination... :(

"Ani" says, "Thanks for the hug," and sends [:D] back to you!

Darth Mom ;)

17. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Awe..poor obi!! k Qui has some explaining to do. Go to it!! *kicks qui*
  18. hyperspace_police FanForce CR Arkansas US

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    =D= :) Absolutely wonderful.
    Very touching.
    Great that Qui is awake.
    Keep up the good work.
  19. LilQui-Gon Jedi Knight

star 2
    YAY! Qui-Gon is okay! [face_dancing] Now he's got some explaining to do. Update soon! :D
  20. maychorian Jedi Master

star 4
    Yay! Poor Obi. Han'yaie's right--Qui-Gon wasn't doing a good job of protecting his Padawan. But at least he had good intentions. [face_love] Good banter between them, too.
  21. obi-wanfan123 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh, poo...

*Sulks in a corner*

But great story though!!

Can't wait for next post!!
  22. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Gkilkenny- Thank you!

Layren- heehee- Sorry you had to wait so long for the conclusion. As you know, Darth Real Life swooped in for a while...

Kynstar- I don't do plain mush often, or for just anybody so credit Layren for begging me to do it, lol.

Kelia- Thank you very much! :}

Star- Yes, unfortuntely. At least in writing we can change it as we will it to be, correct?

Arwen- Yes he does...and he will-of course, in his own way.

hyperspace- Thanks! Here's the rest!

LilQui-Gon- well, it wasn't 'soon', but here it is...

maychorian- Glad you liked the banter. I love writing these three.

Obiwanfan- Well, here it is, a month later, haha!
  23. Durhelediel Jedi Knight

star 3
    Chapter Three

A week later Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were slowly walking along a path in the Room of a Thousand Fountains. Qui-Gon had been approved to start building up his strength with short walks and since this room was his favorite in the Temple, he had been spending much of his week here. Today he had allowed Obi-Wan to accompany him instead of working on his katas with another Jedi Master.

He glanced down at Obi-Wan's coppery hair. The boy was silent, letting his master have time to think and soak in the beauty of the nature that surrounded them. From Qui-Gon's taller perspective, he could see Obi-Wan's hands folded behind his back, fingertips loosely intertwined, as they walked?a gesture that Qui-Gon often did when thinking while walking.

"Credit for your thoughts, Padawan," he finally said once he had brought his eyes back to the trees and plants around them.

Obi-Wan startled a little at the sudden noise in the peaceful room, then settled back down. "I'm just?glad you are getting better, Master, that's all. You gave me?us?quite a scare."

Qui-Gon took a few more steps along the path before he answered. "I know now that not telling you how I was feeling was the wrong thing to do, Obi-Wan. You must have felt?" he paused, searching for the right word.

In a bitter voice, his padawan supplied it for him. "Ignored? Shut out? Rejected?"

Qui-Gon hid a smile as his ploy to get his padawan to open him to his true feelings worked. "I was going to say 'frustrated', but those will do as well."

"Oh," Obi-Wan murmured quietly, ducking his head a little to avoid a tree branch that stretched over the path.

The Jedi Master led his padawan to a small lake that had a few benches near it and sat down, motioning for Obi-Wan to do the same. "I can see that you are upset with me, Obi-Wan, and you have good reason to be. I have not given you much trust in the past few weeks since we returned from Melida/Daan, and since that time you have not given me a single reason not to trust you. Yet there is one thing that you must understand: trust takes a long time to be built, and once broken, takes a long time to restore. I will try better to give you more responsibility and my trust, if you will continue to learn from me and grow as a Jedi. Agreed?"

Obi-Wan's eyes were wide and he smiled as he nodded. "Master, I regret deeply what I did at Melida/Daan. Though I still believe I was right, I could have handled that situation better than I did. I will try to trust you, my Master, more with what I think and feel as well."

Qui-Gon reached out and tousled his padawan's hair. "And I will learn to listen."

"Hey!" Obi-Wan reached up to smooth his hair, mock glaring at his master. "I guess that's all I can expect."

"'You guess'?" Qui-Gon repeated in mock severity, catching his padawan's joke and laughter through the Force. "Come here, you! It's time you learn to respect your elders."

Qui-Gon chased Obi-Wan, both laughing, all the way back to the Healer's Ward.

The End
  24. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Awwwww such nice mush -- but I bet Obi-Wan got there first ;)Not that easy to run after the flu and pneumonia :p silly Qui ... lovely lovely mush..
  25. Valairy Scot Force Ghost

star 5
    AW, that was cute. Very nice.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.