main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Everyone knows that Jason and the Argonauts was crossover fanficition anyway.

Side note: one of my favorite topics that doesn't seem to get brought up very much is the difference in how many polytheistic gods are portrayed in mythological stories that were probably primarily for entertainment, and how they are portrayed in the actual practice of religion. IE Zeus the jerkwad vs Zeus the guy you pray to in order to bring justice.

Kylun and King of Alsakan like this.
  2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This is the Jello version of an exasperated response to the history equivalent of
    [​IMG]

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes and no -- most of the literary canon wasn't for entertainment. The oldest Homeric-style bardic epics are entertainment yes, but also moral edification. Greek tragedy was, in the original Athenian sense, part of religious worship and also had a strong moral component. It didn't become purely entertainment until the Hellenistic period, the era of traveling stage productions etc. same with comedy -- Old Comedy was political, New Comedy wasn't.

And those are just a couple of categories of poetry. I could go on. :p

What I would say instead is context matters. Both in terms of the god's aspect (Zeus as the Guarantor of the Guest Right played a huge role in the Oresteia after all) but also local rites and traditions. Aphrodite was a civic, defensive goddess in Corinth, for example. In Roma, Venus was an imperial goddess. But in Athens? Fertility.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jSarek, Kylun and MercenaryAce like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I know this was asked primarily in jest, but one of my favorite summaries of Alien comes the bibliography of GURPS Dragons:

"Watch it with fresh eyes. This is what it used to be like to meet a dragon."

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So...

As a fan of the Kingdom Hearts video series I have been doing a complete over-hall re-interpretation of the story in the form of 20-22 minute tv series and have been posting it on Deviantart. The First 2 Episodes are already posted and I'm intending to share it with many people as possible. All Feedback and Critique is welcomed

http://jid1234.deviantart.com/gallery/62335059/Kingdom-Hearts-The-Series

8. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    I'm reading SW Dark Times. Is this the most depressing SW comic ever? Cause it sure is to me.
    [​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Finished first play of Mass Effect 1, and am now on my way through ME2. Well, I now get why people dig these so much.

Aphra, Darth_Garak, Vthuil and 5 others like this.
  10. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    This development in Stellaris 1.5 aught to make Nick very happy:

[​IMG]

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    All peoples are welcome in the United Terran Republic. Our democratic, egalitarian, and galaxy spanning federal republic values all species. Join us, join our federation.

Ugh... when will the next update be available? I'm dying to re-start!

--Adm. Nick

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

April 6th is when the expansion and update drop.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That is as fascinating screenshot, and it is ABOUT time. I plan to play an imperial government since they finally make sense in Stellaris too, but my traditional game has been the United Nations so far, so that liberation thing goes well with them.

So Mass Effect is an interesting thing for me. There, it's the aliens who are civilized and the humans which are not. So in the Mass Effect world, I side with the Council. :p

14. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    But the Council is the worst. The worst.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Only in ME2.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm still upset ME2 did its best to completely erase and delegitimize that style of playthrough, when it was one of the approaches you had the option to take in the first game. It's like nope, whether paragon or renegade, you've gotta be anti-Council now. Forget that Spectre stuff that was so important to ME1.

Absolutely disagree. They are wonderful. You have Tevos the asari, carefully diplomatic and accommodating all the while she's actually shutting you down. You have what's his face the salarian (they all look alike to me) who is being a sniveling worm. Every council needs one of those. And then you have Sparatus the jerk turian, who uses his airquotes and in general makes you want to punch him in the face.

I love them.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I hope you can settle your species on other planets, have them secede, then join you. The good old Texas trick.

18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yeah, well, don't get me started on ME2's missteps. At least not until Taalcon's had a chance to enjoy it....

Vthuil, Kylun, Jedi Ben and 1 other person like this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And THEN we can ruin it for him. :p

Kylun and Ulicus like this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  21. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    We have dismissed that claim.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That's another thing I like about Shadows of Mordor, incidentally. The Turian councillor is Celebrimbor.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  23. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Udina was just as bad as the council.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh no Udina is awful. I am pro-Anderson all the way.

25. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Ah Mass Effect - loved that trilogy. FemShep and Garrus were wonderful. This series had a really good cast of characters and a setting I enjoyed.