Lit MON MOTHMA IS BACK, Ackbar Approved -- The Lit Forum Ketchup Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given, Sep 12, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin + Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Administrator
    star 10
  2. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, but those are written by Rucka and Tomasi who make it work for them - a hard trick to pull off.

Once you go into trying to understand DC continuity, forever will it fry your brain.
  3. cthugha Jedi Master

star 3
    This is awesome on so many levels. The thought that people considered computers and computer games as revolutionary tools for changing minds for the better makes me nostalgic on the one hand, and makes me want to pick up that thread on the other. The only place where I still see some of that enthusiasm is in the cryptocurrency community, but even there the game seems to be getting old without fulfilling the big promises of the early days. The extropists are gone, hacker culture has gone mostly stale, and the current AI rush -- which would be the place where one might expect some similar dynamics to apply -- seems like it's rushing forward without any big visions or visionaries (except Kurzweil, whom I still can't take seriously). Sad. Is there another Tim Leary anywhere on the horizon?
    blackmyron likes this.
  4. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6

:confused:
    Vthuil likes this.
  5. Karl0413 Jedi Master

star 4
    So, has the server glitchfest been fixed yet or do I need to wait a few more days?
  6. MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan

star 3
    posting and editing seems fine now. Not sure about emails.
  7. AdmiralWesJanson Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Like a lot of the voices associated with the new ducktales, but have to admit the opening theme is pretty weak compared to the original.
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. blackmyron Force Ghost

star 5
    Maybe it's time to create a new paradigm - or maybe it's happening already somewhere and we just aren't seeing it yet.

In the meantime, back to reading the Sprawl trilogy.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin + Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Administrator
    star 10
    The music is inferior but I think the visuals (esp the running theme of the number one dime) may be better.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    :luke: I'm confused right now.
    Ulicus likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19 Force Ghost

star 8
  12. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    siiigh
  13. Charlemagne19 Force Ghost

star 8
    Did you read the essay? :)

BTW - I write for Grimdark Magazine.

[IMG]

I suspect whatever you think the word is, it's not what I do.
    Last edited by Charlemagne19, Jun 15, 2017
  14. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    I did read the essay, and I can't even say I'm entirely in disagreement with the sentiments about Starcraft having some legitimately good writing (and that the original game's is superior in many ways to Starcraft II's - though largely for unrelated reasons to what you wrote*). I've just come to regard the whole "deconstructive-ambiguity-downbeat means good writing" notion to be very tedious, and the title in context of your post was particularly unfortunate in that regard.

*Just in case someone asks - my feeling is that the original Starcraft is probably objectively better writing not only than its sequel, but also just about everything else Blizzard Entertainment has done, since it's actually telling an original story instead of taking obvious cues from Star Wars. For reasons that are probably themselves obvious, I still do like stories that take obvious cues from Star Wars, but they're still inferior to a game that did its own things.
    Last edited by Vthuil, Jun 15, 2017
  15. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    I have no illusions that it will happen but I hope it will make a crossover with Paperinik.
  16. Charlemagne19 Force Ghost

star 8
    I pretty much agree with you there but am a huge fan of the deconstructive morality trope to the point I'm very disappointed it's not the case in the new trilogy. :)
  17. Taalcon Force Ghost

star 4
    Remember when it was revealed DuckTales!Launchpad and DarkwingDuck!Launchpad were not in continuity with each other? Mind. Blown.
  18. MercenaryAce Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Excellent work, though I have some quibbles:
    -IIRC the heroes of FF7 were called eco-terrorists a lot in the beginning of the story.
    -Personally, the Sons of Korhal struck me as pretty creepy right from the get go. Everything about Mensk screamed bad guy to me.
    -The Zerg very much had individual personalities. I loved how everyone was annoyed by Zasz.

Still, I mostly agree and it was a good read.
    Last edited by MercenaryAce, Jun 15, 2017
  19. Zeta1127 Jedi Master

star 5
    I definitely appreciate StarCraft. Diablo, via Diablo and Diablo II was my introduction to Blizzard, followed very closely by StarCraft. I still haven't completely beaten StarCraft and Brood War, I have been stuck on Eye of the Storm for a few years now and I am half way through Episode V. Everything I have seen and what little I have played of the Starter Edition have cemented my desire to play StarCraft II eventually. Unfortunately, the gameplay almost gets in the way of the story, which is why I like StarCraft II a little better.
    Last edited by Zeta1127, Jun 15, 2017
  20. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    Hey, Brent Weeks! I need to get back to reading his Lightbringer Trilogy Tetralogy Series. Really enjoyed the first two books.
    Dante1120 likes this.
  21. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    Ahh, one of those.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    It's funny because the first book even has "Lightbringer Trilogy" on the spine.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Charlemagne19 Force Ghost

star 8
    I think that's why Patrick Rothfuss never finished Kingkiller Chronicles. There's no way to finish it in 3 books.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. King of Alsakan Jedi Master

star 4
    Sad to hear Stephen Furst passed away, will always remember him for Vir Cotto and his little wave:

25. Gorefiend Force Ghost

star 5
    Well since FOX figured for some reason not to give Neill Blomkamp an Alien movie, he just went and made his own Sci-Fi Short Film with Sigourney Weaver and put it on the internet for free. More a concept movie it is certainly deeply fascinating and utterly NSFW!!! Blood, Violence and Guts to the extreme, so watch it at your own peril.

NSFW Youtube Movie (open)
    Senpezeco and spicer like this.
  26. spicer Jedi Master

star 4
    I liked it a lot, although the dialogue could've been better IMO. Looking forward for the rest of Volume 1.
    Last edited by spicer, Jun 18, 2017
    Gorefiend likes this.