Lit MON MOTHMA IS BACK, Ackbar Approved -- The Lit Forum Ketchup Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Senpezeco Jedi Knight

star 2
    Pray tell, what form of supremacy was being advocated by the counter-protestors?
  2. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think you understand what the left is about. We are not people who wanna stand down. Look at Ferguson. BLM has faced down fing tanks. It is not on us if some ahole wants us to surrender. You wanna know what we call someone who tries to get people to do something by making an example via fear? That is called terrorism. We do not kneel to terrorists. if they wanna show how evil they are that is not on the people they hurt, that is on them for hurting them.

Also the president saying all sides is wrong cause all sides where not wrong in what went down. One side had armed militia and ran a civilian over, the other peacefully protested when at gunpoint and after a flat out terrorist attack. As US president he should openly oppose the LITERAL NAZIS KILLING THE PEOPLE HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE STANDING UP FOR. If someone shot you in cold blood and all you did was throw one punch in self defense and a police officer made a statement that said "it is tragic that there was violence on both sides" would you feel all right?

This clown of a president had a panic attack over Obama not referring to a terrorist attack as having been done by "radical Islam" and yet when white supremacists commit a terrorist attack on HIS SOIL he refuses to identity that it was white supremacists. Also "non-white supremacy"? If that is what you think the left is about then you REALLY don't get it. Equality does not mean talking around the fact that an america based radicalized white supremacist group that worships him, killed one of the people he is supposed to represent.
  3. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    Just because it is worth repeating: He absolutely is supposed to condemn the alt-right. The alt-right are not just another "political spectrum" whose ideas deserve to be heard respectfully, such as libertarians or your standard Republicans. The alt-right are white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

And please show me anywhere in this discussion where it is suggested that Trump should "condemn whites."

Condemning white supremacy is not "condemning whites" any more than condemning anti-Semitism is "condemning non-Jews" or condemning misogyny is "condemning men."

Want a real example of racism against white people, it's not BLM or any other such group that white supremacists like to use as a boogeyman--it's the idea that condemning white supremacy equals "condemning white people."
    Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Aug 13, 2017
  4. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Darth_Duck Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    "Nazis are bad" should be the easiest statement for a politician to make.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
  6. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Trump accepted the KKK's endorsement....well, one of the KKK's endorsements.

I think that pretty much said where he stood on the issue.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised otherwise.
    Last edited by Charlemagne19, Aug 13, 2017
  7. Senpezeco Jedi Knight

star 2
    He could do what Roosevelt did, which was addressing and condemning the Nazi movement by name.
  8. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah a bunch have said it in the past few hours, it's almost as if Trump's refusal to say those words is telling of something.......[face_thinking]
    Vthuil, mnjedi, fett 4 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
  10. Ghost Chosen One

star 7
    It bears repeating... the "Alternative Right" (now the Mainstream Right because of Trump's election) is all about White Supremacy. They focus on Christianity and Patriarchy too, but Race is a dominant feature. The KKK in recent decades has shifted to being anti-immigrant (especially Latino) and anti-Muslim. What is Trump known for? The Ban and the Wall. This is a pattern.

[IMG]
  11. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    I remember the exact moment when I realized my Southern heritage was awful. When I saw Confederate flags being flown with Nazi ones and not a damn person cared or noticed.

Admittedly, I was eleven.
  12. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    On a slightly bright note, it is good to see how on some level this has really shown where people stand. The Nazis are not even tip toeing which is scary but it also makes the rest of us more united in a way. I mean I am a bit less depressed right now cause all of us here are very much taking a stand openly. it is a bit of optimism to be found in so much fear and tragedy.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin + Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Administrator
    star 10
    One would think "I am against actual Nazis" is literally the easiest stand to take and the lowest possible bar.

But I guess not.
  14. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    For a kind of silver lining, the racist side of the support of the Alt-Right and certain politicians caused them all to come out into the light and cast aside their disguises to say what they really felt.

What was good about this is they discovered, in fact, much of the country loathed and were disgusted by them rather than hiding behind a veneer of political correctness.

The Empire and its supporters have shown their true colors.
    Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  15. fett 4 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    We will see what happens come the next election. You see in the last I wouldn't have dreamt that a man who'd openly boasted about groping women and had done the whole Birther nonsense and who then openly got into a verbal fight with a Family of a dead soldier could possibly be elected President. I was proven wrong :(
  16. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    My general election coverage doesn't actually make me feel that bad about the Trump election because I can pretty much point to exactly what caused Hillary to lose the election. The four states which went for Obama that didn't go for her were all the ones in America's Steel Belt (i.e. the Rust Belt) which have been suffering steady industrial and economic decline for decades. Trump made many promises (none of which have been fulfilled but he's tried to pass his anti-environmental regulation off as) to help repair the suffering in those regions. Hillary, notably, declined to campaign in some. She was, correctly, viewed as a candidate of foreign policy when the USA felt we needed a domestic candidate.

As such, I generally believe Trumps election was born from the economy versus nativism, though he certainly got the nativist vote.
  17. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    Michigan went for Sanders in the primary, but people who offered to campaign for Clinton there were turned down, because "everyone knows Hillary Clinton." She was a horrible campaigner when she ran against Obama in 2008 and she was a horrible campaigner last year. She would prioritize states that she thought she needed and just write off the rest as done deals, which is really arrogant, and in 2008 Terry McAuliffe admitted that's what they were doing. "We're focusing on states that would be big electoral college wins."

The one area where Trump and Sanders agreed was the promises about bringing jobs back to the Rust Belt.
  18. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    Another area Hillary failed at was when she did remove Sanders from the running, she failed to co-opt any of his policies to get his very angry independent base going to her. She continued her exact same policies as before when much of the electorate was fired up for "change."

Trump also, for all his reputation as an awful human being, also has a reputation as a man famous for reinvigorating real estate. There were also other promises which have not been met like increasing the amount of free health care available when the current coverage amounts to, "better than a bare bulb."

So yeah.

It's also a note Trump generally won by a few field goals rather than touchdowns in almost every state. It, like George W. Bush's "win" (I use quotations because there's still many questions about election fraud--real election fraud not "alternative fact" election fraud) over Al Gore, could have gone another way with minor changes.
  19. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    God I HATE my family. Just got done with a screaming match with my mother and father. They refuse to condemn trump and they go on tangents about Muslims the moment I bring up you know the literal nazis. they think that cause they did not join in the racist rallies that that makes their hands clean. I FUDGING HATE people who think that the actions of who and what they voted for do not fall on them. they essentially told me that anything Trump does is not in any way their fault cause they did not make those choices, god do people really have no ability to be held accountable for the fact that they put someone in office?

Thank god I am moving with my sister to California, I cannot deal with my parents anymore.
  20. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    That sucks.

My family are more conservative than I am for the most part, but they're moderates, and we don't have too many arguments.
    fett 4 and vncredleader like this.
  21. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    That's good
  22. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    My parents voted for Trump now deny they ever did.
    fett 4 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    I have a cousin who voted for Trump but that's it. The rest of my fairly-large family were all very pro-Clinton, even more pro-Clinton than I was, which is the primary difference between us--I supported Sanders in the primary and they were pro-Clinton all along.
    fett 4 and vncredleader like this.
  24. fett 4 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Who would you like to be the next Dem Leader, Sanders or someone else ?
    Admittedly I do wish Barack Obama would run for a 3rd term

TBH after this week I'm almost pining for the (literally) days of the Mooch, that could be called a glory period to this week.
    Last edited by fett 4, Aug 13, 2017
  25. anakinfansince1983 Nightsister of Four Realms

Manager
    star 9
    Sanders or Elizabeth Warren. I've got an eye on Kamala Harris but don't know enough about her at this point.

And BTW, about those statues, and why it is important to tear down the monuments to people who invoked torture methods worthy of a Denning book on people just because they were of African descent:

Tear the statues down

No defense for trying to preserve this history.

To be fair, Lincoln was a bit of a white supremacist as well but he was fighting against, rather than in favor of, the ownership of human beings.
    vncredleader likes this.