main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    We already know that augment virus didn't affect all Klingons, I thought? So that side of things wouldn't be an issue at all.

Though it's a damn shame that the augment arc even exists when the DS9 reference was clearly just a joke. When the guy who created the franchise says "it's a retcon, bro", you take that at face value.

Darth_Duck, Vthuil and CT-867-5309 like this.
  2. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ha. "Face value". XD

cthugha and Darth_Duck like this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    According to the Developers:

1. The Klingons are another race of Klingons and we'll see both Augments as well as Traditional ones, reflecting the fact they've developed in different ways across 1000 years in space.

2. They're not taking the Enterprise of TOS literally as what it looked like given how special effects have improved.

Which seems to be two contradictory schools of thought there.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Did they? I didn't know that. Do you have a link or something?

Which I could have agreed with if it hadn't become the basis of an entire story arc in a past series. But it has, so it shouldn't be ignored.

Not sure they know where they're going with this.

Of all people, we the Star Wars fans know that you should not always take what the creator says at face value...

The2ndQuest and Charlemagne19 like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd have been fine with (1) if they'd started on that foot, even if it was just an early reference that they then basically paid no attention to. I'm all for large variation within species. But every Klingon representative from every house was the new kind.

I'll be surprised if we never see any augment Klingons at all, though. You'd think they'd be pretty important in a "REMAIN KLINGON" story. An augment (rather than albino) Kol might have made a lot of sense, even.

In any case, the only real problem remains the fact the new look guys are all bald.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  7. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Also... Klingon-Human hybrids are canon. But Klingons now look so different that they don't even look like mammals anymore. How on Earth could a species like that, almost reptilian, be compatible with humans?

When you think of it, the real bold move would have been to do this modern, spectacular looking series while keeping the TOS Klingons in it. (I don't mind the redesigns of the ships and armors, though. It's a detail.) But hey, anyone can make an orkish alien these days. But being faithful to an outdated design in a series like that? Now that would be bold.

With a little updating of the gear and makeup (so that it doesn't look like it's just makeup), you could have pretty cool QuchHa' Klingons.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But important details, we should be able to see the TOS's and TOS-movies' designs of ships and armors in the new designs, just like we can see 19th-centery design in WWI designs

Fully agree

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I actually love the Klingons more than the Federation so turning them into, essentially, the Yuuzhan Vong/Orcs really annoys me.

Here's one of the discussion as to why the Klingons look like this

On Thursday, TrekCore excerpted an interview with Discovery writer Ted Sullivan from the magazine SFX... In it, Sullivan explains what the new Klingon Sarcophagus ship is all about. “It’s a 200-year-old ship. This is a group of Klingons who’ve gone back to a puritan way of life. They look very different: they wear armor that’s 200 years old and they don’t have any hair,” Sullivan said.” Their commander runs his Klingon house – the house of T’Kuvma – by the rules of Kahless, the Klingon messiah. And he calls himself the second coming of the Klingon messiah.” Sullivan also claimed that this specific Klingon house was one never before seen in any version of Star Teerek.

Of course, Kahless had hair because that's how he made the first bat'leth.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'm really enjoying Discovery so far, especially the last two episodes. I think that the United Federation of Planets is by and large being portrayed visually & thematically very well. They have done a good job making the Federation diverse (both in terms of human diversity and alien), plus I know that the writers get the Federation isn't just a "homo-sapiens only club". When T'Kuvma describes the Federation as a "muck" where humans, Vulcans, Andorians, and Tellarites all mingle together, I literally cheered. The multiple references to the founding species of the Federation is welcome and overdue, so Discovery gets high marks on that front!

As for the Klingon Empire, I'm still a bit torn. Unlike a lot of Trekkers/Trekkies, I don't mind the visual re-design. The Klingons have changed before, I get the desire to make them more alien. Where I struggle a bit is how different their culture is being portrayed. They just don't act like the Klingons we've seen pre-Discovery and post. It is entirely possible that they re-discover their honor and cultural hallmarks in the aftermath of the Federation-Klingon War, but that is really my only big complaint.

But again, I'm a die-hard Federation fan. I'm watching the series for the Federation, not the Klingons. Provided that they keep up the trend (they've even hinted that we'll be seeing Andorians soon!), I'll be a happy camper.

--Adm. Nick

11. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    They've changed before, yes. But in ways that could be--and have been--explained away easily in-universe. This time, though, good luck with that...

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    mind you, it's an easy fix if they want it to be.

"These don't look like the Klingons Archer encountered."

"There's rumors they've been experimenting with reversing the Augment virus. The results have been rumored to be....freakish."

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I actually find the Klingons an excellent depiction of Klingons - which is why the appearance issue is so jarring. I honestly don't care about the continuity issue in and of itself, but it's really bizarre while watching that they sound, talk, and act so much like Klingons while LOOKING like hairless orc-things in weird ridged clothing.

14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    My only problem with the new Klingon look is how much of the face it covers. Cheeks, chins. It's restricting the actors ability to fully act. And eat. They can't eat while in make-up

It was a missed opportunity to not include a smooth-headed Klingon in T'Kuvma's holo-conference, though.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Ulicus likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I feel the same about the fact they bothered to get all the actors to speak actual Klingon.

I mean, yes, that's nice and Game of Thrones-like but there's a lot of info being dumped and we had Ser Jorah to explain what the hell was going on with the Dothraki.

16. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    They coulda done what they did in the TUC courtrom scene. Establishing shots showed us that the Klingons were speaking Klingon but once we established that we got close shots of Christopher Plummer speaking English because it's easier to understand.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As a swede, I find your complains about having to read subtitles strange

cthugha, La Calavera and Vthuil like this.
  18. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    We're spoiled Anglophones.

19. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Cool Messenger Droid cosplay:

Also this is pretty great:

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
  21. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Taylor Swift's new single "Gorgeous" is great. The first single had me worried that Reputation was going to be a muddled mess, but this single has me more hopeful about the whole thing.

22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The Thirteenth Doctor's companion:

[​IMG]

ONE OF THEM BETTER GO EVIL! [face_devil]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not sure what that is but I raise you:

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A comic adaptation of The Cats of Ulthar by H.P. Lovecraft, illustrated by Jason Thompson
    from http://mockman.com/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]