Lit MON MOTHMA IS BACK, Ackbar Approved -- The Lit Forum Ketchup Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Charlemagne19 Chosen One

star 8
    It seems appropriately childish and whimsical.

Albeit, I'm getting Rainbow Bright as an adult than Doctor.
  2. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    Needs more question marks.
    Darth_Duck likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi Mod and Soliloquist of SWTV

Manager
    star 6
    I'm guessing
    Show Spoiler
    the pattern on her shirt is meant to be a throwback to Tom Baker's Doctor's scarf.
  4. Senpezeco Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was looking up Peeps dioramas and found this one. (source) The chocolate carbonite block made me laugh hard enough that I wanted to share. :) And I just realized Boba Fett is a Peeps chick facing downward with its beak decorated with piped candy melts to look like a T-visor.

[IMG]

(Darth Peep is looking a little rough there, though.)
  5. Todd the Jedi Mod and Soliloquist of SWTV

Manager
    star 6
    They left him in the oven too long.
  6. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah, nobody's worn the high-pants-suspenders thing since Rainbow Brite was a thing. First Thor, now Doctor Who... is the 80s finally making a comeback? [face_praying]
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 9, 2017
  7. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    My only issue with the new costume is I don't like how long the jacket is. Ten had the long trench coat as well and Smith's coat continued to grow as well. I am not against it but I was kinda hoping for something different, other wise I love it. The suspenders are perfect
  8. AdmiralWesJanson Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, see It and Stranger Things. Too bad Michael Bay ruined Transformers, and GIJoe by Sommers/Chu
  9. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    I've been kind of avoiding the site lately because I'm not really in the mood for The Discourse, but I had to come out and comment on this: this is going to be a really hard swallow. I just cannot take suspenders remotely seriously.
  10. Ewoklord Jedi Knight

star 1
    Transformers is in the best place it's been in ever! In comics, though. Not the movies. Please God not the movies.
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. vncredleader Jedi Master

star 4
    Finally finished Lost Stars. I can totally see why so many people love it. Not my favorite of the new EU but still very good character piece. Now I wanna re read empire's end after the Jakku stuff
  12. Onderon1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Q.F. T. =D=

After SW, Transformers - I'm talking G1, with all its' flaws (and there were many, I'll be the first person to admit them) was arguably my biggest interest as a kid. (Well, until Marvel in the '90s, and that's a whole other kettle of mixed fish ... :p).

But IDW's revival? Overall, pretty good - not perfect, and somewhat controversial in spots (not necessarily bad controversial, but they've addressed some issues I find ... interesting for giant-robot-fighting stories to tackle) - but there's a coherent path forward and multidimensional characters.

Bayverse ... urgh. It really resparked mass interest in the franchise (true, there's Energon and its' related series, and Animated, which - just IMHO - was better than Energon, even if I can't
    Show Spoiler
    really take the idea of Ultra Magnus being higher ranked than Optimus serious in ANY way ... :p

But quality? Characterization? Good taste? Yeeahhh ... not even a comparison. IDW's got all those in spades; Bayverse ... not so much.

EDIT: And Transformers: Prime! I almost forgot that - what Bayverse could've been ... minus Bay. :p

Like it or hate it, the overall arc of IDW - and the accompanying toy lines - have produced good-quality upgrades to practically every G1 character through the Generations line. (I'm not going to open the can of worms that is the "are they too hollow or not?" debate - this isn't a Transformers forum, after all :p).

And, having said that, I'll just bring it to a close ... but yeah. I'm eagerly looking forward to getting my hands on some Power of the Primes figures in December ... :D
    Last edited by Onderon1, Nov 10, 2017
    Jedi Ben and Ewoklord like this.
  13. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Any thougths on Transformers vs G.I.Joe?
  14. Ewoklord Jedi Knight

star 1
    Haven't read it yet, personally, but I've heard I ought to.
  15. Onderon1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I do like both the original and IDW versions; I was a kid when the Marvel Transformers versus G.I.Joe came out, and it worked for what it was (I've never really felt the toy tie-ins were overly politicized, nor should they be; Cobra's Cobra, and they need stepping on).

Unlike IDW's Decepticons, who are a perfect example of a revolution biting itself in the backside, and the overall direction of the 'verse post All Hail Megatron has dealt well with this, IMHO.

Also, to be fair, IDW's been laboring under the dictum to link as many of Hasbro's properties together as possible. Spoilers for those who haven't read, or haven't yet read, much of the IDW-'verse:

Show Spoiler
    I think IDW's done a really good job with the task at hand - many of the links between the post-Revolution mini-series titles are based on various Cybertronian phenomena/actions, such as ROM and the other Spacekinights' "living metal" armors actually being one of Shockwave's experimental Regenesis ores, or Micronus Prime creating the Microverse, and the Micronauts as a result of that.

G.I. Joe's a BIT of an outlier, but not badly - Cobra's only got so much life in it, and revamping the Joes as first a response to, then peacekeeping partners with, the Cybertronians is a good mix of conflict and cooperation. (I still think Skywarp basically working as the Joes' teleportation taxi is a bit silly, but at least IU, it was a logical outgrowth of his power growing out of control.)

It still remains to be seen how well Transformers versus Visionaries goes - :p- but the end of the recent First Strike mini-series promises a big, planet-eating threat for 2018, so things are looking quite impressive ... :D
  16. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    [IMG]
    have no ide who originally made this
    Ghost, starfish, CT-867-5309 and 7 others like this.
  17. cthugha Jedi Master

star 3
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    We probably would have had a much stronger 80’s revival era had those not derailed things creatively in the live action arena.

I mean, everything up til now is basically the result of Dreamwave’s first Transformers series being the top selling comic at the time, which resulted in Lorenzo picking up the movie rights and a slew of 80’s revival comics that also resulted more film rights sales.

The tremendously disappointing creative results kinda killed that momentum, even if Hasbro has profited greatly (thus recent rumors that they may buy out Mattel).
  19. GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin + Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Administrator
    star 10
    Written by C.R. Horn

(I just made up the middle initial, don't yell at me for fanon)
    Ulicus, MercenaryAce and cthugha like this.
  20. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    I mean, I'd buy his middle name being Rostek.

Anyway, I finally finished Assassin's Creed: Origins. Best AC since Black Flag. It's incredibly gorgeous, massive, fun, and really well-written. Bayek is one of the best protagonists of the series. I have quibbles, as always, but they pale in the face of how much fun I had. I absolutely cannot wait for the story DLC, and I really, really hope we get the rumored Mediterranean trilogy of sequels.
    darthcaedus1138 and Ulicus like this.
  21. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    Basically agreed. And every real quibble I had came in the last twenty minutes, anyway, and wasn't that big of a deal.
  22. Darth_Duck Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The last 3 episodes of this half-season of Star Trek: Disco were pretty good Star Trek stories. Time travel, landing parties, non-corporeal aliens and crazy mushroom stuff.

Can't wait for January.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
  23. Vthuil Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, that's going to be hard to not think about from now on.
  24. Onderon1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Brad Bird apparently has a little arthouse film next year ... :p :

I'm cautiously hopeful for this one. Pixar keeps firing on all cylinders, but I'm hoping this'll be more than just nostalgia ...
    Ulicus and King of Alsakan like this.
  25. Ulicus Lapsed Moderator

star 6
    The fact they chose to avoid a timeskip actually makes me hopeful on that front. It instantly sets Incredibles 2 apart from the "Hey, we're revisiting this beloved universe years later" thing.