main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Pumpkin Pie is the best thing

Havac likes this.
  2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I can't wait to see The Incredibles 2 and find out that Bob and Helen got divorced, then Bob died of a heart attack from stress and being overweight; Violet is a cutter; Dash is a coke addict, a thief and he hates Helen; Jack-Jack is a total psychopath who worships Syndrome; and Frozone was killed by a cop during a routine stop.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    y u do dis

Darth_Duck likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody have any suggestions on where I could find inspiration for a Turco-Mongol inspired space-warrior culture?

cthugha likes this.
  5. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    You can see my response to the original prompt here, which I think takes a somewhat broader view than my colleague /u/facepoundr. In short, Naboo's culture was largely an imitation of the Core Worlds' anyway, and Palpatine surrounded himself with similar aspirants from the Mid and Outer Rims rather than Core Worlders.

Gamiel likes this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    That;s so messed up......and yet it would fit the Pixar style of making its audience weep

7. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    If you ever stop doing this, I'll have to make a Gamielbot that generates questions like these every other week, and posts awesome pictures from DeviantArt the weeks in between. That's like half of the entertainment value of Lit for me.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm half convinced he's faking it at this point.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can give you the background for the question if you want.

That's remind me, I have not posted anything from DeviantArt here in while. Have a thanksgiving joke (it's a bit big so that's why it's behinde spoilers)

MercenaryAce and cthugha like this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Black Friday deals!

You know, if by deals you mean giveaways. :)

My book company is giving away AGENT G: INFILTRATOR (my cyberpunk spy novel) for the entire weekend on Kindle if anyone wants to pick up a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFJ5HF5/

If you do pick it up, I hope you enjoy and drop a review.

Or just enjoy.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm

This reminds me, unfortunately, because I do not want to be reminded, of Arthur C. Clarke (of 2001 fame)'s Time Odyssey series. It was one of the last things he did, co-written with Stephen Baxter, who I suspect did most of it because it didn't read like Clarke very much and was utter sexist racist crap (surprising if you ever read everything else Clarke did, who had pretty diverse casts in his early novels and actively promoted racial and cultural tolerance in his life).

Basically to save you the torture from reading it -- and it is BAD -- aliens take over the earth and shuffle different sections of land across the planet for different time periods, which inevitably results in a Genghis Khan showdown with Alexander the Great after the two pick their own sides with the remaining space age humans. Rudyard Kipling stars. There's a showdown with aliens at Babylon, which apparently got mixed up in the time periods.

This may sound wonderful but trust me, you'll start reading it and realize that first, you hate all the characters, and second, it's really racist and sexist. Also I'm pretty sure they got all their historic info from the History Channel.

Charlemagne19 -- you know I'm gonna pick up one of your books sometime. I need something different.

Charlemagne19 and Gamiel like this.
  12. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I didn’t know the sequel was being written by J.J. Abrams.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Oh look, Warhammer 40K meets Sid Meier's Civilization incoming:

Gamiel likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    YES. Finally. Better looking ships for humans are sorely needed. Those hideous boxy default ones....

Also, I'm so glad they're adding more voices. Authoritarian was great for my imperial games, but I tend to play the UN most and it didn't have good options.

The "diplomatic/dignified xenophile" voice is perfect.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And now, a brief amusing interlude...

Someone on my Twitter timeline called Obi-Wan a "pathological liar".
    Almost instantly, I couldn't help but re-imagine the classic Simpsons skit "Skinner and the Superintendent" with Obi-Wan as Skinner and Mace Windu as Chalmers. And that's hilarious.

♫ Kenobi with his crazy explanations,
    Poor Master Windu's gonna need his medication!
    When he hears Kenobi's exaggerations,
    There'll be trouble in town tonight!♫

OOOOBI-WAAAAAN!

Barriss_Coffee and vncredleader like this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Thanks! I appreciate it!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I've been playing a little of "Fable Anniversary".

People who have played the original Fable will recall that one of the silliest design decisions was having the main character physically age as you levelled up. This wouldn't have been so bad, except the accompanying narrative clearly only took place across, like, three years maximum. Just playing normally, you would out-age both your mother and sister by the end. It was clearly only kept in because it was one of Molyneux's grand promises regarding "Project Ego".

Did Fable Anniversary remove the stupid ageing system, or put it on a toggle?

No.

Still, in the original game, there was a form of character-state saving that allowed you to exploit a "one time" Boon of Youth to get it as many as times as you wanted. This was great, as it meant you didn't have to hobble your character progression for the sake of staying out of your sixties.

Did Fable Anniversary remove this?

Yes.

AUTHEUHAhahgh

Anyway that's my first world problem of the day.

19. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    That's Obi-Wan style aging. I guess it's still half the rate of the original game.

I've been playing Battlefront 2 and Uncharted 4.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I've started playing No Man's Sky. It was a game I was really looking forward to during its development, then passed on after the initial release backlash. Then after hearing the latest update improved it a lot, I bought a used copy for 15 bucks. Perhaps it's due to that price and the reduced expectations I have, but it's been a lot of fun to just put on and play on the casual gameplay setting for an hour or so to unwind at the end of the day.

21. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I've heard it really improved, yeah. I'm sure I'll pick it up one day.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've actually been debating getting it since it can be had for cheap now. I bought it when it first came out and didn't like it at all so I'm still on the fence.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    So, the PS Store sale ends shortly. Should I get: Crash Bandicoot trilogy and/or Uncharted Lost Legacy?

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I remember liking the crash bandicoot games, PS2 was the last game console I had, man that was a while ago now.

As long as we’re talking games, I’m trying out this galaxy of heroes thing on my iPad. Its very strange, it’s one of those collect characters and pitch them against random other characters in arena battles, I think the main point is to trick people into spending money to get the characters they want. I’m sure everyone else thinks that too. Despite that, I’m actually kind of enjoying it, my party of characters is so random it’s hilarious, I have Luke, an Ewok, a Jedi healer and a clone trooper fighting against battle droids and sandpeople.