main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have to complain that the only thing on that cover that says SF is one world in that yellow sentence. Any reason why the lack of things that say 'future' on the cover?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The first books take place in 2020 and gradually follow the world transforming into a cyberpunk dystopia.

But yes, my publishers probably will go with a more cyberpunk theme for the Omnibus.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ok, but why do he dress in a suit that is so dated? And let's not even talk about that haircut and attempt of a beard :p

What would you loke to see on the Omnibus?

Personally I really like the ShadowRun 1:th ed. look

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

cthugha likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Hahaha.

A friend of mine said he looked like Ryan Gosling and the fact he's a cyborg assassin is doubly funny given Blade Runner 2049.

Especially given the revelations about his origins at the end of the book.

But generally I prefer Cyberpunk 2020 to Shadowrun.

Corporate Solo!

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I quite like GURPS CyberWorld myself, in all it dated-ness, even if I dislike their complete disregard of all of Africa and the Indian peninsula and that they don't really do anything with China

6. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Periodically (like once every two years or so) I get this huge craving for Shadowrun -- not playing, but just immersing myself in the world. Then I reread all of the 1st edition materials I have, scoff at the sprinkles of later editions I've accumulated, try to reread some of the old novels and drop most of them again immediately because the style puts me off, and rant about how we still don't have a Shadowrun TV series for a few weeks.

Seriously: How do we still not have a Shadowrun TV series? Such a fertile, well-developed and long-running paradigm, and in this age of IP resurrection nobody's picking that up?

Anyway, thanks for triggering that familar effect again :p

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

cthugha likes this.
  8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It is odd.

We've got BRIGHT coming up, but that's a film and not cyberpunk.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Charlemagne19 What would you like to see on the omnibus' cover, if you went with a more cyberpunk theme ?
    As an visual person I have to say that much of the art in later editions I have seen lack some of the fun and cretive madness of the 1st edition. Why don't we see wizards with star spangled fedoras anymore?

cthugha likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Guys, thanks to Fable reminding me, I have solved poverty. The planet should take note.

What you do is find a random market trader with a surplus of a kind of item, which means they're selling it on the cheap. Emeralds and rubies are ideal, but anything will do, even carrots.

Then you just buy all of that item. All of it!

This creates a new demand for the item from that merchant, meaning you can sell it at a premium.

Then, and this is the super clever part, you sell it all back to them!

Which means they now have a surplus of the item and are selling it on the cheap.

Then you just buy all of that item. All of it!

REPEAT.

Genius, right? Why doesn't the government do this? Why did Theresa lie about the magic money tree? :confused:

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a tough call because I went with a very oddball premise in that the story starts with the present-day world with all the cyberpunk being behind the scenes. Corporations secretly controlling the governments, A.I., cybernetics, and so on all being restricted to secret agents as well as assassins working for the powers behind the scenes. The point being eventually things spiral out of control, the technology gets out, and becomes a cyberpunk future. In retrospect, I wonder if I should have combined the three books this happens into one single omnibus as that's the story rather than the three segments.

https://img00.deviantart.net/1aae/i..._a_corporate_lobby_by_klauspillon-d83vk9o.jpg

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Something you could do, even if it don’t represent what's in the book (but since when do American book covers actually show what's in the book?), is to have your Agent G with sunglasses and a red light coming from behind one of the lenses (like Arnold on the Terminator poster) indicating a cybernetic eye. Or something similar...
    Another way could be to have him wounded and showing cybernetic parts.

EDIT: there is also the way of the old school pulp with a short catchy sentence on the front of the cover, like the "Both came form another world... Our enemy and our ally" on the cover below

[​IMG]from https://astoralexander.deviantart.com/

Remindes me of Cast A Deadly Spell

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    cthugha and Gamiel like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So it's an E-RPG (if you now really can call those CYOA video games RPG:s).

Hope they go for something a bit different then the black-on-black/black-on-dark fashion style that the current RPG-line seems to be using

15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I miss the days when dystopias ruled by rich corporations were fiction, and not the path our own government is trying to speed us towards :(

vncredleader likes this.
  16. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Yeah, maybe it's that -- too close to home. (You could even read partisan polarization as goblinization if you wanted to be really cynical :p)

Oh there's a book for you (read it all, but here's the most immediately relevant part) :-B

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    The sad thing is it was never something we were speeding toward, even before dystopian literature was a thing we had this bull going on during the Gilded age. I guess people just forgot and learned nothing from that hell

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tell that to the United Fruit Company

cthugha, vncredleader and Vthuil like this.
  19. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah those people where freaking insane.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My single most famous Blog Post and most shared is this:

TOP SIGNS WE'RE LIVING IN A CYBERPUNK FUTURE

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-signs-were-living-in-cyberpunk.html

cthugha, Gamiel and vncredleader like this.
  21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I grew up in Appalachia so cyberpunk was never a "joke" given in my town's museum, the Daycare Center was a micro oil refinery and 90% of the building was how we all needed to do what they say. In my area, rulership by corporations and their goons is just Tuesday.

The big difference is we aren't as wired yet.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    And of course the East India Company - or rather, any of the various East India Companies. They had their own militaries and everything.

Gamiel likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Those were the good old Days

MercenaryAce likes this.