main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What is this I don't even

cthugha and Gamiel like this.
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Funnily enough, the guy who plays the captain here (Jesse Plemons) auditioned for Kylo Ren early in the casting process for TFA.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'll take that as a compliment that you think I can wirte and draw as good as Aaron Williams. But I would like to point out that he has some issues with some movies that I like (f.ex. Lucas' later works). Also if I was him would I not also promote PS238, Nodwick, Use sword on monster, or other of his works.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I thought Plemons was up for the role of Finn.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Charlemagne19 likes this.
  6. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
  7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Guys, I really have to recommend the video game "Dex - The Enhanced Edition" which available for download on Xbox and PS systems. It's an indie game which was created by Kickstarter but manages to transcend its origins to be something really special. The best way I can describe it is the game manages to combine Symphony of the Night and Deus Ex. There's some rough edges, which is to be expected with a budget of 60,000 Euros but it's easily more enjoyment than I've gotten out of a lot of triple A games.

The premise is the blue haired cyberpunk Dex wakes up in her apartment one day to find a bunch of corporate goons are going to murder her. She manages to escape only to end up in the dirty cyberpunk dystopia of New Harbor City. Dex has to figure out who is after her and why then stop them but it's the sidequests were the game really shows itself off. There are lots of really good writing moments in this game. The voice acting is great in the game as well. It's not perfect nor could it be for being an indie game but I really endorse the purchase.

Here's another review which largely agrees with me.

Warning some minor adult subject matter discussed.

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody have any suggestions on books/comics/film that deals with the warrior culture of any of the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast? Fiction or scholarly is just as good

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Car I parked next to on campus today had "TK-007" as its license plate.

10. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Shogun by James Clavell

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Shogun? Is not that about Japan. With Pacific Northwest Coast I meant the American one. Did I write my question wrong?

fett 4 likes this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    My fault, I missed the Northwest coast bit and just saw the Pacific - sorry

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, I see. That happen

fett 4 likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmmmm... this one is tricky. It's one of the most contentious areas in North America in terms of the cultural identity problems with the US and Canadian governments (I recommend the the non-fiction book "Skull Wars" by David Hurst Thomas if anyone's interested in understanding some of that mess -- Thomas is a well-respected anthropologist and not some pseudoscience dingbat like half these non-fiction writers).

I honestly can't think of anything with "warriors" in that geographic area. Closest I can think of to a recent fantasy-esque story told in that area is the video game "Never Alone" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Alone_(video_game)) about the Iñupiaq, which has monsters and stuff, but it's not really a guns-blazing (arrows-blazing?) story.

Dr. Steve Brule and Gamiel like this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It seems like a lot of TLJ-related material is finally starting to leak, and I don't actually even have tickets yet, so I'm considering going dark on this site starting tomorrow. If I'm not back for a while, make sure to make fun of the posts Jello makes about fancy people in the movie for me.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Looks interesting, even if it's not what I'm looking for. Will see if my library has it.

The warrior part don't need to be the focus, if the book just has a chapter that talks about warrior culture and/or warfair it would be interesting for me.

17. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    A Story as Sharp as a Knife: The Classical Haida Mythtellers and their World by Robert Bringhurst might have something in it that may interest you, but it's only about one group of First Nations on the Pacfic Northwest Coast.

Edit: somewhat related:

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I'm so excited about Resident Evil 7's Gold Edition coming out this weekend!

"Not A Hero" for Chris Redfield and "End of Zoe" look awesome.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Finally jumped on the bandwagon and got Stellaris. Gotta say, I've been digging it more than Paradox's other games (although I enjoy them too) - it's got more of a classic Civ feel for me.

Haven't won yet, though. :p

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I saw a 70mm film projector version of 2001 in a local college theater last night. It was something - first time I've ever seen it in that format, and first time I've seen it in years, period. It's funny, for all that Star Wars gets called the anti-2001, I noticed at least a few possible influences on Star Wars that Lucas may have gotten from 2001:

• The heavy breathing of the astronauts in their suits definitely seemed reminiscent of Vader
    • The space station docking bay in the beginning looks very similar to the Death Star hanger
    • Frank at one point says, "I have a bad feeling about him."

I also saw The Disaster Artist tonight. Great movie, but I am biased since I'm a longtime fan of The Room. But to keep it on topic, there is a scene set in 1999 when Tommy overhears Judd Apatow giving his opinion on The Phantom Menace.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    So yinz have convinced me to look into stellaris, but steam has like 5 things listed for it. What bundle or edition should I grab?

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Not like Rotten Tomatoes's scores are worth much, but it does make me happy to know we live in a world where a riff pseudodocumentary on The Room has about the same score as a really good Pixar film. My faith in humanity is restored for the moment.

24. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I finally started reading Brubaker's cap run. Great as excepted but one thing that kinda bugs me is the coloring. I LOVE Lark's art (I am a Gotham Central fanboy through and through) but the coloring just makes it look far to normal which does not fit. I have seen his other Marvel stuff with Brubaker on DD and that coloring looks just wonderful paired with him

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016