main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    lol well I didn’t mean that as a negative thing. :p

You’ve read the last wraith squadron book, yeah?

Darth_Duck likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  3. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Reminds me of whoiseyevan's Premakes on YouTube:

Gamiel likes this.
  4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I started watching Killing Eve on BBC America. Really great show. Plus it was created by L3-37.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  7. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Hey kids, wana buy some salt?

[​IMG]

starfish, Vthuil, CT-867-5309 and 7 others like this.
  8. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I do need to refill my salt bowl.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Jack the Giant Slayer has waaaaay more PT era Obi-Wan in it than I expected.

Ewan McGregor as an English-accented bearded knight who says things like "I have a bad feeling about this" and "Take the high ground"?

Perfect.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Watch The Men Who Stare At Goats as well. No English accent for Ewan but he's a journalist following the story of a former "Jedi" special ops agent, played hilariously by George Clooney. Lots of fun playing around with "mind control" tropes.

MercenaryAce and Kylun like this.
  13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Who needs to be a first grader when you can be a first grenader 8-}[face_laugh]

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been busy for the past few months trying to get my life going. I moved out of the house I grew up in, and ultimately got two jobs and my own place.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well done Zeta, sounds like you're now in a much better place than you were.

17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Any fans of the Expanse books?

I just realized the Laconian Empire is basically the First Order from Star Wars. They're a breakaway faction who hid in the Unknown Regions then returned 30 years later to wreck their revenge with a brainwashed new generation.

I wonder if it's deliberate as the authors are huge nerds and included a bunch of Warhammer 40K nods.

cthugha likes this.
  18. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    I watched the first season of the show for the Expanse. It was quite good, definitely got me curious about the books. They’re on my list, might get to them in the fall.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The show definitely solidified my interest in the books, especially since everyone seemed to like them when it was announced they got the Han book.

20. starfish

Oct 9, 2003
    Also, the first expanse book seems to be continuously taken out of my local library, all the others are always available, so may have to just buy the first one.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    [Deleted]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    STAR WARS has sadly been listed as the 2nd most toxic fandom in the galaxy by Wired.

https://www.wired.com/story/10-most-toxic-fandoms/

2. The Dark Side of Star Wars Fandom

The most recent eruption has been a hilariously non-ironic campaign to remake The Last Jedi, but that's sadly just the latest in a long line of online grossness from the entitled Sith who are so keen on reclaiming the Star Wars universe . Somehow, Gamergate has come to a galaxy far, far away; hectoring, harassment, even death threats aimed at director Rian Johnson. To be clear, this is a tiny (if vocal) subset of Star Wars fandom, which on the whole is as joyous and inclusive as the universe is finally becoming. But to to quote our own Adam Rogers:

"Everyone has a right to opinions about movies. Everyone has a right, I guess, to throw those opinions in the face of the people who make those movies, though it does seem at minimum impolite. Everyone has the right to ask transnational entertainment companies to make the movies they want, and if those companies don’t respond, to stop giving the companies money. But harassment, threats, jokes about someone’s race or gender? A Jedi would fight someone who did that stuff. The Force binds us all together. Hatred and anger are the ways of the Dark Side; they may bring power, but at a cost. It harms individuals, debases the people who do it, and it breaks the Fellowship. In the end, the cost of that power will be powerlessness."

23. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    SCREEEEEAAAAAAAMIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOHHHHMYGOOODDDDDDD

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The hell??

(That's regarding the trailer, not the fandom toxicity thing. That's unfortunately no surprise).

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Welcome back Zeta! So just to catch you up, Gamiel is posting weird historic stuff for RPGs nobody understands, we're watching Clone Wars, and we're debating whether being a fan of the old EU is a toxic thing and makes you a bad person. We'll probably be discussing whether the old TCW is canon soon, or whether some of it is canon, because we certainly don't want to like the old TCW if it's not canon because then it would be part of the old EU and that would make you a barbaric toxic heathen.

You might want to sit down Zeta cuz there's just so much that's changed since you've been gone.