main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Married me? No, she has to marry Jag, DUH.

:p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I want to make some Twilight joke about being on Team Zekk, but no.

Just no.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Jaina? Who is that? Vaguely rings a bell, the name does have a legendary sound to it. [face_batting]

--Adm. Nick

Force Smuggler, Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    She's like that Duros fleet admiral who never existed. :)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You forget, I don't miss the old EU. :p

--Adm. Nick

6. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I loved the Starkiller fans who are raging about how she's not a real character. Like Starkiller is any more real at this point?

Also from SDCC, people are losing their minds on Twitter about the animated adaptation of A Killing Joke, and not in a good way. It's far easier for me to portray why with a link than with words:

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah I know you're an awful fish. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I was Team Zekk in the day. But then I don''t like being forcefed my ships. I too enjoyed the CT.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

IMO Jaina was great at the end of NJO...from after she got over her whole "I'm gonna die so I'll leave everyone alone" phase until TUF. So, basically, the end of Destiny's Way until the end of the series (plus, of course, she was great–if annoying, for story purposes–in Allston's duology). I won't argue with you, though, she was better when she was younger than she was in DN/LOTF/FOTJ.

I'm really glad Jaina won, though. Although in all likeliness, she'll be as difficult to find as Revan is going to be. That all depends on which outfit they choose for her, of course, as some might be considered "boring" costumes by casual fans and toy-buyers (including parents). Jedi are usually sellers, though, so if she comes with a saber included (of course she will), she'll sell.

However, if they make her in Jedi robes, I'm looking forward to the inevitable "parent buys Jaina Solo for child for Christmas thinking it's Rey." [face_laugh]

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005

[​IMG]

11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I know how I feel about it, and it's not good. It's just...odd.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    WTTTTFFFFF.....

Something tells me context isn't going to make this any better.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    That article mentions how a Bruce/Barbara relationship was implied in "Batman Beyond," but even if that's the case it wasn't quite so uncomfortable because at least then they were both gray-headed old folks and you could sort of squint and imagine they were kind of close in age. This is...squirmy.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    [​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Here's the thing.
    They said early on they were going to be focusing more on Barbara in the lead up to 1. flesh out the story a bit and make it more feature-length and 2. to give her being in the story in the first place more context. This... is just more of an excuse to have Batman go after Joker on a personal level. It's setting her up to make the fridge they will stuff her in that much colder.

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Here's the thing.

You said a "jackdaw is a crow."

Is it in the same family? Yes. No one's arguing that.

As someone who is a scientist who studies crows, I am telling you, specifically, in science, no one calls jackdaws crows. If you want to be "specific" like you said, then you shouldn't either. They're not the same thing.
    If you're saying "crow family" you're referring to the taxonomic grouping of Corvidae, which includes things from nutcrackers to blue jays to ravens.

So your reasoning for calling a jackdaw a crow is because random people "call the black ones crows?" Let's get grackles and blackbirds in there, then, too.

Also, calling someone a human or an ape? It's not one or the other, that's not how taxonomy works. They're both. A jackdaw is a jackdaw and a member of the crow family. But that's not what you said. You said a jackdaw is a crow, which is not true unless you're okay with calling all members of the crow family crows, which means you'd call blue jays, ravens, and other birds crows, too. Which you said you don't.

It's okay to just admit you're wrong, you know?

/reddit jk

More seriously, it's weird that they'd go there because they've been before and it's always been received badly.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    [​IMG]

18. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Just got back from Star Trek, thought it was entertaining for what it was. Nice references and nods to the original timeline. Some really cool CGI shots in general, really liked Space Station Yorktown, and there was one sequence very reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica. All of the normal JJ Abrams easter eggs were in there, though Snap Wexley could of used his X-Wing in this one.

One thing about this movie did make me think of a tie into a small Life Debt spoiler. Space Station Yorktown....
    would make for a nice home for the refugees from Alderaan. It would be cool to build a anti-Death Star out of its wreckage. Maybe name it Hosk Station :)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not buying Armada or Rebellion, Nick? :p

As real as, say, Boba Fett or Darth Vader - that is to say, not at all.

Er... that was established back in Batman Beyond.

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I mean, Bruce is supposed to be perpetually about 30-35, and IIRC Barbara was in college. However you want to feel about it, it's not very hard to find a college girl dating a guy in his thirties. IMO it's weird more because of her relationship with Dick than because of their ages.

.......and yes I realize how that sounds.

21. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I buy it for fun & cool ships, not canon. ;)

--Adm. Nick

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Okay, I realized why the Bruce/Barbara thing is so weird to me. Bruce has always been a sort of father figure to the other members of the Bat family, to the Robins especially. But his relationship with Barbara in that respect is unique because she ALREADY HAS a father figure, her actual father Jim Gordon.

She doesn't need Bruce to be that same sort of influence that Dick, Jason and (depending on the continuity) Tim do. She doesn't see him as a father because she isn't as emotionally dependent on him. So if she has a mixed bodyguard crush on the older man who taught he how to punch good, sure, whatever.

But here's the thing. Her being shot in Killing Joke was never about her being Batgirl. It's about her being Barbara Gordon, Jim Gordon's daughter and the light of his life. What they should have done is given her more attention and screen time with her father to emphasize their positive familial relationship and how she's the only member of the Bat family to have a legitimately healthy home life. Before the Joker comes along and destroys it just to give Gordon his "One Bad Day."

So my complaints aren't in the character decision, it's purely on a storytelling level. They tries to make it more dramatic for Barbara's inevitable fate to loom over her, but they went about it in the complete wrong way.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Gamiel, Jedi Ben, CooperTFN and 4 others like this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The same way I feel about the NEU, then.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Such is your right as a fan. :)

--Adm. Nick

blackmyron likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

So this happened and well...
    [​IMG]

King of Alsakan likes this.