main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania Discussion Thread and Index - Important Post (19th Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I feel that my writing is mostly a big sandwich of mush with some humor and/or drama in between... But the mush seems to seep in my stories whether I want it or not... I mostly write H/L, Mara never really did anything for me...

I think I'll be checking this thread often. :)

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What I think lends to Mara's mushness :) is that she and Luke were friends first, and can help each other face some hard, unpleasant facts about themselves without feeling rejected--just the opposite. Where you're able to feel that safe and vulnerable with someone as a friend and you fall in love with them... seems like the mush would come natural. :D :D

3. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Mush to me is about the romance, not so much the physical aspects.

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    We hope it will be fun! To be posted here on TF.N it'll have to be SW mush, but I suppose you could do a crossover with multiple mush. ;)

I find I use humor a lot, too, I guess to cut the fluff. LOL! Too, if one were writing Mara, or Han, I think they would often use humor in a situation that felt a little too mushy. (And I agree with your humor--and midichlorian--assessment :D)

Remember, we are not just L/M here. Just because that's my cuppa, doesn't mean it has to be everyone else's. ;) I'm glad to see so many people show up with so many different interests. I'm excited to see how many great stories come from this!

As for the talk of mush and sex, I think the two can go together, but don't have to. Mush can be varied and show up in different situations/relationships. I'll admit that quite a few of my fics run along those lines, but I'm trying to branch out! :p

5. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    Hey, all! Just a reminder that our first MMM is in 10 days on June 25th. Hope to see a lot of wonderful vigs from those of you who are writing!

For a little discussion:

Was there mush in the Star Wars films? If so, what was the mushiest scene?

[hr]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Well, I have to admit that what mush there was in the PT was a bit forced. You could tell it was written by a guy who was much more comfortable writing battle scenes. :p

I liked the banter of the OT better. And to me the relationship that broke my heart the most in the PT is the loss of friendship and brotherly love between Obi-Wan and Anakin. :_|

7. verybusy

verybusy Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 18, 2006
    Hmmmmm.... okay, for me it was definetly the scenes in ESB between Han and Leia. this is what brought me to SW in the beginning anyway.

I have a confession to make, during the tims when ANH and even when ESB came out as the movies, I was not interested in this at all. What got me interested was the pictures in the ESB novellisation my little brother brought home. there was this picture wih Han and Leia short before/ or after they kissed for the first time.

...this made me read the book and falling in love with this little love story, I loved the banter and of course I wanted to know if they would get together finally (meaning if they could free Han in RotJ).

honestly I believe that had not become the kind of Fan that I am now, if Harrison had really decided not to participate anymore and they had let him die at that point.

cheers,

VeryBusy

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I agree. :D

If we're talking canon characterization, I don't see Mara as being mushy. Ever. :p

Fiercely loyal, deeply affectionate, passionate - perhaps even wildly so - but mushy? Not so much. ;)

I think Luke, on the other hand, could be the mushy champagne and rose petals on their anniversary type of guy. Mara would be more inclined to give him new seat covers for his X-wing, LOL. (But enjoy the candy and rose petals, for sure. [face_love] )

9. verybusy

verybusy Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 18, 2006
    I would say I agree completely with what VaderLVR64 and Jedi Trace posted about Mara's character :D. the way her character is described is exactly the reason why I enjoy any kind of mush fics including her.

The interesting thing is how does such a person deal with love or with romantic gestures. Fanfics that are able to have her in character, but at the same time are able to make very clear that the air is electricified with romance and love is what I am usually searching for [face_love]

cheers,

VeryBusy

10. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    good morning verybusy. since you are agreeing with those guys, I'll agree with you. I think ESB Han and Leia is the height, if not the only, romance in the OT.

I have to hand it to Lawrence Kasdan for directing ESB so well. The H/L near kiss and the carbon freezing chamber were wonderfully romantic scenes.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Trace's comment made me make a startling and amazing and fantab discovery. I NOW think of Mara AS mushy. I remember a line of hers in a ginchy fic: she doesn't snuggle but she does mush. [face_laugh] Fanfiction is the bomb!! It's totally revolutionized how I even see "canon" Mara. I see her as being mushy in between the lines so to speak. [face_laugh] Whee!! :) [face_dancing]

12. WyoJedi

WyoJedi Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 2005
    I have to agree with Vadey... any mush in the PT is like pulling teeth. However in the OT it is all over the place. I think one of the greatest mush sequences in the trilogy is when the Falcon is in the Space Slug. From their kiss during repairs (untimely ended by 3PO's interruptions) to their banter in the cockpit after the ship shakes (Leia: Captain, being held by you isn't quite enough to get me excited. Han: Sorry sweetheart. I haven't got time for anything else.)

Of course my favorite will always be:

Leia: I love you!
    Han: I know.

Cheers,
    Wyo

13. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well, IMHO, the mushiest scene is definitely THE KISS in ESB. Does anybody agree/disagree with me? Besides that, the Han-Leia-Lando interaction at Bespin (before Vader's revealed) is pretty mushy too.

14. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Well, that line (she doesn't snuggle but she does mush) was from my self-realization challenge, making fun of myself. [face_laugh]

As for mushy Mara, I don't think she'd ever be dripping in sweetness/fluff (unless she was being sarcastic). I've always tried to write her being loving with her husband, but maybe I'm crossing a line I didn't realize I was crossing. [face_thinking]

As for the films, my favorite mush-ette scene is in Jabba's Palace, when Leia removes her disguise and tells Han she's someone who loves him. [face_love] [face_love]

15. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    The atmosphere of ESB worked well for the beginning of the H/L romance.

the color and music and angst of the carbon freezing chamber was well played.

The compact, claustrophobic darkness of the Falcon while they were hiding from Imperials added to the tension between H/L.

16. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't help but think you mean Han/Luke . . >_<

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    ginchy posted:
    As for mushy Mara, I don't think she'd ever be dripping in sweetness/fluff (unless she was being sarcastic). I've always tried to write her being loving
    with her husband, but maybe I'm crossing a line I didn't realize I was crossing.

I don't see Mara as dripping in sweetness either, but as passionate, funny, but honest with her feelings. I see her as reveling in the wonder of loving and being loved, of being cherished utterly. [face_laugh] :) The tenderest Mara portrayals is hard to find--but an example is divapilot's Ashes. A very serious situation brought out the caring, loving, gentle side of her. [face_love] Takes a lot to bring it out perhaps, but wow! when it shows, it's beautiful. LIke a rainbow. :D

18. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Gal, I think that's a great way to put it. [face_love]

19. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005

I agree with you both!

Mush can mean many things to different people. For me it's the EMOTIONS involved regardless of how they are demonstrated.

And the best Mush scene in Star Wars to me is Han and Leia's scene in ESB, like Wyo mentioned, inside the belly of the slug:

HAN: You're trembling.

LEIA: I'm not trembling.

Then with an irresistible combination of physical strength
    and emotional power, the space pirate begins to draw Leia
    toward him...very slowly.

HAN: You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough
    scoundrels in your life.*

[face_love] Be still my heart!

*courtesy of Blue Harvest.

20. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Excellent scene, jade_pilot.

So, the date is the 25th. Is there theme or challenge related to this second MMM?

Did I miss it? Or is it random?

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I don't think that Mara would ever be sugary sweet, mush gushing, or nickname sprouting, but I can see her being passionate. Her whole life is very emotional, and the wonder of actually being loved instead of used would being out a side of her that isn't normally seen.

And of course, who can resist being mushy around Luke.[face_love]

Was there mush in the Star Wars films? If so, what was the mushiest scene?

personally, I think the mush in the PT was annoying and strained. It had a fake feel to it not like the old stuff.

Now, the OT was wonderful. It wasn't over the top with mush, yet the H/L scenes were priceless!

Fav line:

Leia : "I love you!"

Han : "I know."

Oh, that gust gives me the shivers typing it![face_dancing] [face_love]

~MJ@};-

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Jade Pilot & Mira--stop it! I'm melting!! Those are my fav scenes too. :) Talk about someone you wouldn't expect o to be mushy--Han certainly qualifies. :D His mush factor comes across similar to Mara's I think--humor but with a dep sincerity. :) And not just anyone can ... inspire it. :D

23. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Leia: "I happen to like nice men."

Han: "I'm nice men."

Leia: "No you're not, you're - " :*

*melts*

[face_love]

I'd agree with that. :) (Maybe that's why I've never been able to wrap my brain around a Han/Mara pairing. They're too much alike, LOL.)

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Han and Mara would kill each other. [face_beatup]

I have a feeling that Mara could get mushy, but then she'd get embarrassed about it and have to kick Luke's butt in the sparring ring to make up for it. :D

25. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    This time around, any mush meeting the TOS of the site will do. For future MMMs, we'll work on challenges. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.