main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania Discussion Thread and Index - Important Post (19th Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    It must be Monday somewhere in the world .... this is more weird than mush and is done for the Costume Challenge as well.

Oouraah Wuuh

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    It's officially Monday on my end, so after much deliberation and having it reviewed, I present to you, my very first attempt at mush.

Night of the Living Beer Goggles

Well, it's more lust than mush, but hey. It was just an experiment anyway. I'm apparently not a very mushy person. Skip the candlelit dinner, let's get right to the action! :p

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Delightfully dark and devious mush can be found here:

"Yorick's Grin", featuring Molly and Moriarty, from Sherlock.

Enjoy. Kinda. [face_devil]

~MJ@};-

4. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I have two fics to add today! The first I posted on behalf of Earlybird-obi-wan who couldn't post this due to lack of internets.

Arms by Earlybird-obi-wan

And the second is by me, in which I tried to blend horror and mush.

In Darkness Bound by moosemousse

I hope you like our offerings. :)

5. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Stasis
    A little Han and Leia for Halloween.

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hah! It's still Monday. Got in the last polish on my horror/mush and posted.

How It Was Done.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, when's the next challenge? Holidays are coming up, I need to jump-start my muse. Perhaps the challenge could be something holiday-themed.

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That is a very good question. I usually allow six weeks for people to write an entry so the next one won't be this side of Christmas. I'm kind of diseased right now (sore throat, lots of pain, blocked ear, etc) so I'm not really in any state to do anything right now. Will post something in the next few days when I'm feeling ok, but this close to Christmas is a busy time. So yeah, there will be something but I don't know when.

9. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    This is just a suggestion, but how about a military-themed mush challenge? You know, to go with the unofficial challenge linked in my signature... ;)

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yikes! Sounds like you have what I had a while back. Nasty stuff going around, hope you feel better!

And... I am intrigued by Goodwood's suggestion. Might be something to consider, if it hasn't been touched upon yet.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Sorry for being sick for so long, I'm never usually sick and this is just getting silly now. I like the idea of military themed mush though I'm not so sure how well it would work out. I'll have to think about it so don't consider it completely ruled out just yet. As always, it would be an optional challenge so that everyone can take part.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Glad you're feeling better. Curious, did you have a lingering cough, as I'm still dealing with one leftover from a bad Thanksgiving cold. [face_plain] But, next time you get a really bad cold or flu like that? Southern Comfort. Good for what ails ya. Tastes like battery acid, but it does help!

Anywho, a military-themed mush challenge would prolly be best if it was character-oriented, with the war aspects taking place in the background. Perhaps, a budding romance in the barracks or in the moments before or after a particularly trying mission. A recruit falls for their drill instructor. A senior officer falls for their inferior. All sorts of possibilities with this.

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Military mush need not even take place during wartime. It could also include tales where a troubled youth enters the military and finds not only the discipline they need, but their soulmate in the form of a fellow soldier. That's just one example; another could be two members of the same species, from disparate worlds and circumstances, find themselves in the same unit and strike up a relationship (two Twi'leks, for example, one a former slave, one the scion of a rich merchant family...).

Ever watch the film Private Benjamin with Goldie Hawn? That's basically military mush.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just a heads up here so you know the situation. I won't be putting up a new challenge until after the move. There will be a challenge on the first Monday that the board are back though and I'll give eight weeks to do it. I figured it would be best to do it this way rather than potentially mess people around by changing dates or anything like that. There's also my depression which isn't all that bad most of the time but it makes it hard for me to want to get on with anything.

Hope you understand. :)

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I can definitely understand Darth Depression, the evil apprentice of Darth Real Life. He thwarts my projects and stuff as well. Hope you're feeling better!

16. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Yeah, best to wait until after the move -- whenever that will be :rolleyes: -- it could get in the way of a challenge.

Military mush challenge has obvious clone potential. Or Rebel Alliance, too.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yikes! The end of the move caught me unprepared! Mind you, I don't think everyone knows we're back so I've come up with a plan! I'll put up a nee challenge next week and give everyone ten weeks to do it. It'll be vaguely generic so everyone can take part, but it'll be optional as always.

Let everyone know, Monday Mush Mania is back!

Edit: oh and if someone could remind me what the old MMM icon was I'll make a new one to match it. I've completely forgotten.

18. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I look forward to the challenge. I can't remember what the old icon was, but wouldn't mind helping to come up with a new one.

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yikes! It appears to be Monday! I'll need a few hours to wake up and stuff, but I should have the challenge up later this afternoon my time!

Who's excited?

Takianna likes this.
  20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I am! Seeing as how Halloween is coming next month...

21. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    Halloween? I'd completely forgotten about that, and as such I have something completely different lined up. Hope you're not disappointed.

Update [10/09/12]

So, since the move we've lost our Owen and Beru icon, the index has been truncated, and the links no longer work! Fear not though, for all is not lost. The admins and clever people are working on the truncation problem, and when that's done I'll update the index with proper working links (hooray for regular expressions), and there's a competition in the works to find a new icon. I don't want to say more about the competition as I don't have details on prizes yet, so watch this space.

The Challenge: New
    Due date: November 5th

New things are always nice, whether it's new video games, new computers, new relationships, new babies, even new forums! So, in celebration of these new forums the challenge this time is 'new'. It's very broad so it'll allow you to interpret as you want. I know a few of you want some military mush, so you can sneak some of that in here if you want. I'm also sure you can find something about 'new' that's Halloween worthy if you want to write something season appropriate!

As always, this is entirely optional. As long as it's mushy it's more than welcome, so if you can't think of anything that fits the challenge then just let your mushy muse run riot! It's all good here.

Oh, and don't forget that the 5th of November is Guy Fawkes' Night in the UK, if you're in need of some treacherous inspiration.

Secondary Challenge: Truncation Station

As you're all probably aware, there's a display issue with the boards which means only the first 10,000 characters are being displayed. The admins and clever people are working on this so it will be fixed. However, we have no idea when that will be. Fingers crossed that it will be soon, and before November too, but if you feel like an extra challenge then here it is: keep your whole post below 10,000 characters!

Can you do it? Can you write a complete mush fic in that short length? Don't worry if you can't as I won't be checking unless you actually want me to. If you do want me to check then just add a note saying so when you post your fic. I'll add a list of participants when I do the index post.

Note: as of writing it seems that the character limit is 10,000 but from the fics I've checked it seems to be 4,100 so I'm not 100% sure as to which. As soon as I know which figure is correct then I'll post it. I should point out that this is only a bit of silliness and I added it because I have a strange sense of humour.

Discussion: Change

In keeping with the challenge, this time we'll be discussing new things and change. There are lots of ways in which change and new things are good. These new boards are quite nice, my new computer is rather good, and new ice cream flavours are always worth trying (if only once). Change isn't always good though, like when your favourite band goes from fantastic and original to mainstream to sell more records. When it comes to writing mush, does it matter if the change is for the better or for the worse? Are there some situations where mush can't happen? And are some situations more inherently mushy than others?

22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    So... just to clarify, mush could be of the violent nature, right?

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Violent how? What's the context of the violence? You do have to abide by the ToS at all times, so there's that to consider too. If you want to elaborate in PM that's fine, I'm just not sure what you mean.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh, good, I have two months to find, trap, and leash my muse. Rather than expand on the "Republic Marines vs Zombies" theme of my last one, I think I'll go in a different direction and use different characters. Not sure what direction or what characters, but we'll see.

In the meantime... *loads snare rifle* ...I have a muse to hunt.

Takianna likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.