main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania Discussion Thread and Index - Important Post (19th Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Mush is anything that makes you go, "Aaaaawwwwwwww" when you read it.@};-

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I've seen the definition of mush in that it gives you "warm fuzzies." Does it matter where those "warm fuzzies" are? :p Or, does the location of those warm feelings determine what mush is, say warm feeling in the heart, as opposed to the crotch?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Mush is kinda an arbitrary word.
    I think mush is warm fuzzy feeling no matter how you feel them. To me, mush is not sexual, though that certainly doesn't have to be excluded, (as long as it's in the TOS if posted here ;) ) but it's not mush to me. Romance, sentimentality, causing reactions such as"awww..." and "so sweet", are mush to me.

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Then you got the literal definition of mush which is to squeeze and crush :p

I'm still tempted to write that Vong mush. [face_laugh] My only problem is that I don't think there was ever a pairing in NJO or Legacy.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    BLAsphemy!
    We all know that Tahiri = Riina Kwaad
    Riina Kwaad = Nen Yim

Therefore Ben/Nen Yim is canon! :eek:

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    That's the wonderful thing about writing fanfic. You get to write what you want and if it doesn't fit the canon you can just slap 'AU' on it. ;)

8. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    So, it's Tuesday and I was going to post this yesterday but I kind of had a busy day and couldn't get it done on time. I hope you don't mind not having six weeks to do this, but it's better than four. ;)

Challenge: Amateur Astronomy
    Date: 4th March

This one is going to be a bit different. In December last year the world lost a legend. Sir Patrick Moore passed away on the 9th, leaving a community that will miss him dearly. When I was young I got to see him doing a presentation and it was amazing. He's inspired so many people to look at the skies and take an interest in what is up there.

The challenge is to include some kind of amateur astronomy. This could be young children looking up at the stars for the first time, or seasoned troopers noticing the stars they're travelling through. The challenge is optional, but it would be nice to see some astronomical enthusiasm as the 4th of March is Sir Patrick Moore's birthday.

Discussion: What is mush?

The discussion on mush seems to be going nicely, so I'll keep that going and add a few questions to help.
    What is mush to you? What does the word 'mush' mean to you?
    What's your favourite kind of mush?
    Is there too much Luke/Mara mush?

That's all for today. :)

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Not sure I'll do this one. But eh, who knows maybe I'll figure something out before March.

What is mush to you?

Mush to me? Something that isn't stereotypical romance, I guess. I like romantic situations between characters, but it has to be characters I really like and interested in otherwise I skim over the romance scenes. I suppose I like the more friendly, bonding mush with some intimate affection if its a pairing. Angsty mush is strangely attracting, something I have to give credit and lay the blame on certain authors in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. PotC can get angsty.

What does the word 'mush' mean to you?

To squish, to crush. :p

Seriously though, mush means to me putting two characters in a situation that forces them to explore who they are to each other. It can become intimate or simply be a friendly chat between friends or be a hair-raising adventure.

Surprisingly, the bonding kind either between friends or lovers. Dooku and Qui-Gon bonding is my favorite with Dooku/Jocasta being the only Star Wars pairing I actually like and don't mind if it gets intimately romantic.

Yes! But I'm biased. :p

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Already have a small bunny for this, hopefully I'll remember to write it before the deadline! ;)

I pretty much already answered this in my post above, but mush to me is that warm and fuzzy feeling... I guess love basically. Love between two lovers, parent and child or even friends.

I actually think parent/child or extremes of life mush (like young love or near the end of life).

This is going to be terrible of me to say seeing as I am a L/M shipper, but yes. I love me some L/M mush but I do sometimes feel very over-saturated with it and really crave some angst.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I normally give six weeks for the challenge, so if it's not long enough I'm sorry. I just thought that as Sir Patrick Moore's birthday is on a Monday that this would be good. It'll also be a great opportunity for some family mush, as well as to explore a side of the GFFA that we don't see.

12. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    What is mush to you? At the risk of being redundant, mush has several meanings to me. 1) The overall feel of the story makes me say "Awe, how sweet!" or sigh... sentimentality I think is the main thought. 2) Like CmdrMitthrawnuruodo said, it explores what two or more characters mean to each other.

What does the word 'mush' mean to you? Oatmeal

What's your favourite kind of mush? Stories with families. I've written quite a few Lars family stories for MMM. :)

Is there too much Luke/Mara mush? I'd say yes, and unfortunately, many people don't quite get the Luke/Mara mush quite right... they make Mara too soft and Luke too ballsy. That being said, I love reading a good L/M mush story.

This is a fitting tribute to Sir Patrick Moore.

I have an idea for it, and it ties in to "The Bond"... however, I'm not sure I'll be able to get to the part in the story that it will fit. So if I've not gotten that far in the story, then I will post it anyway.

Oh, that reminds me of a question I have. Can we do a post of a MMM challenge that takes place in a middle of an ongoing story, or does it have to be separate?

13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, this challenge should lure some plot bunnies... maybe. I have a few hopping around, bugging me to draw a comic, since I found my "make-your-own pocket comic" book I bought some years back. Problem is, I haven't a cohesive story to outline and draw, so those bunnies had better find something else to do!

As for the discussion...

What is mush to you?

Lovey-dovey, touchy-feely, huggy-kissy, say such saccharin-saturated sugary-sweet stuff that it would cause cavities and diabetes.

Write something romantic or friendly. Can be borderline erotic without crossing the line. My definition of "mush" is very broad.

Bonding between friends or lovers. Even if it's spur-of-the-moment, need-some-lovin'-right-now kind. Bonding is bonding.

I would say "yes," but to each their own. Honestly, if someone took my "soap opera love scene" definition of mush and wrote a Luke/Mara fic, I'd read it. I am a perverted fangirl and I make no apologies for it. :p

14. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *peaks into the thread she's not been in for years and waves*

What a great Challenge :D

What is mush to you? Bonding; sweet feelings; a closeness that goes beyond love to true attachment and friendship; a heartfelt moment that reaches out to grab you around the heart and makes you feel what the characters are feeling but in such a way you’re left with… erm… warm fuzzies :)

What does the word 'mush' mean to you? Erm… mush is the stuff underfoot when you’re walking through the swamp or forest… it’s that mushy stuff that gives way underfoot and makes a really nice smell ;)

What's your favourite kind of mush? Friendship or familial; sibling in particular [or angsty couple *grin*] – though you’d never know it by what I write lol!

Is there too much Luke/Mara mush? Erm, not someone who is uber picky when reading L/M because Mara must be in character *hides* I’d say no; but then, it wasn’t asked if there was too much good L/M mush, was there?

Great answers everyone :D

*ducks out*

15. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    A great challenge but I won't be able to participate. I am away on a trip with my mom and don't have access to the internet

16. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    What is mush to you? Mush is usually overly sentimental, vomit inducing cutesy-wootsy love stuff to a cynic like myself. The word "mush" can mean something else, but my first instinct is to run screaming for the angsty stuff. Love of any kind is very tricky to write, and it can quite easily veer into the diabeetus territory, particularly the romantic stuff.

Of course I like a good romance or love fic if the approach is subtle. Romance isn't always hearts and flowers. Other kinds of love aren't always about the good feelings. Some of the best moments in any kind of love come from the understanding and connection you have during the worst moments. Knowing you can rely on that person in the middle of anything is the ultimate proof of love. I don't see that written too much, especially in romance fics.

What does the word "mush" mean to you? Alexis Wingstar already said, "Oatmeal", so I'll add to that: spilled oatmeal mixed with slushy snow. ;)

What's your favorite kind of mush? Anything that doesn't try to be overly sentimental. A good romantic fic reveals the love between a couple without trying to drown you in their twue wuv (like with Edward and Bella in Twilight. If Stephanie Meyer had to keep emphasizing how they were destined for each other, then they really didn't belong together).

Is there too much Luke/Mara mush? There's certainly more emphasis on that pairing to the exclusion of others in the GFFA. I'm a Han/Leia fan myself, so it's getting harder to find good fics about them on places like Fanfiction.net or even here, sad to say. That part of the fandom seems to have died in the last couple years.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Probably going to have some pretty unpopular responses here from me, but there you go...

With the exception of this thread, (as the term 'mush' seems to have grown more encompasing over the years) 'mush' tends to be, dare I say - usually overly sickly sweet, teeth hurting, romance, building up to pithily written nookie scenes, and tends to be the written by the 'young' (as in, just finding your feet) writer - and I include myself from 10 years ago in this generalization.

What's your favourite kind of mush? Well written, thoughtful pieces - a nice bit of 'mush' can work as a stand alone, or as part of a broader story - but 50 pages of 'eye batting sweetums' talk is revolting.

Considering I have never written, nor do I read about 'Mara', and since Luke met my OC in 2006/07, she's been his main squeeze (and it was purely unintentional - dratted characters taking on a life of their own! 30 of my 42 works relate to that family alone!) I don't think I need to answer that.

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What is mush to you?
    Writing with some introspection and thoughts. And caring between the characters
    A piece with some nice moments
    Something that has you with a smile after reading
    No, it is written better than the profic

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Just a friendly reminder that you have two weeks to go. :)

20. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Working on something...halfway complete in fact.

21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

OK, looking back through the thread I found it - and within moments, I was [face_beatup] with an idea - first it was going to be in my new comfort area, Beyond, but I was seized by the throat and will venture back to the Saga with it... not ready yet, but will be by the challenge date...

"My god... it's full of stars..."

22. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I'm going to do this the other way around.

That's a big fat frickin' YES.
    I enjoy a good mushy story now and then but the L/M fraction is pushing it. :p I'm at a point where I don't even click on the stories anymore because it's just too much. There's so much more to the Star Wars universe than just mush AND there are different kinds of mush. It doesn't always have to be romantically fluffy. And honestly? Fluffy Mara just doesn't work.

If the mush makes sense and if it's not exaggerated, I'll most likely enjoy it. I don't like over the top romance. I like to keep it as realistic as possible. And there should always be a subplot. Just reading about how two people meet and suddenly get their freak on is meh. A bit of suspense serves a good romance story quite well.

I actually don't even like the word "mush". But that's because it has a...um...somewhat different meaning in Germany... *coughs*
    Still, mush in terms of romance is a beautiful little story that manages to make me smile.

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I need to get to work on this! Probably won't fit the challenge, but I'm getting some ideas ...

24. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I had a response. Not now. I give up.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    NYCitygurl: the challenge is always optional. I like to give a challenge as it's nice to see how different people handle it differently. At the end of the day, the only strict requirement is a healthy dose of mush. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.