main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania Discussion Thread and Index - Important Post (19th Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Last time I was away on monday and unable to post but I like a new challenge

2. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    So, who wants a new challenge? I'm scratching my brain meats trying to think up something great for Monday, but I'm sure I'll come up with something! Feel free to send me a PM if I haven't done it by noon US time. Knowing me I'm probably distracted by shiny things!

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    It's summer, so how about heat? Hot weather? Sunshine? Humidity?

I'm sure you can get lots of hot sweaty mush out of that. [face_devil][face_blush]

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  5. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    It's back! The challenge that will never die (unlike your favourite EU characters)!!

Three things today, all of which are important. I'll put the more interesting thing first and go from there.

New Challenge!!

Challenge: Hot and Steamy
    Due date: 29th July 2013

Thanks to ardavenport for this one. As always, the challenge is optional and can be taken any way you want it. Is it a fic in a sauna? Is it a fic that involves steam cooking? It's all up to you!

New Discussion!!

Topic: 'Do's and 'Do Not's.

So, we're all fairly familiar with what mush is. Some of us have written a lot, some of us have read a lot, and some have done both a lot. As fans of mush, what do you think are the most important things when it comes to what to do and what not to do? Any hints or tips to make a scene mushy or to prevent a scene from becoming the opposite of mushy?

New Icon!!

We have a new icon? Oh, wait, we're still an X-Wing. As great as X-Wings are, and they are pretty great, they're not as great as something mushy. I'm not all that 'down' with the canon couples, so some ideas or icons would be great. I'm good at making icons, so pictures that could make a great icon would be good too.

Final Notes!!

I miss my retina burning colour options.
    Non-SW stuff is always welcome.
    Adding your partner's name as an emergency contact is a romantic gesture.

pronker and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Icon: There is a very common ANH publicity photo of Luke looking up, just after they've gotten on board the Millenium Falcon, right after Ben gets ghosted by Darth Vader and Leia has just put his poncho over his shoulders. That would make a pretty good mush icon.

Mush: Is about characters caring for each other, being emotional in a yearning, I-want-to-share, I-want-to-kiss-it-and-make-it-feel-better sort of way.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  7. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When it comes to mush, I'm still learning the ropes, so I'm perhaps the worst person to ask. From what I've gathered, mush is lovey-dovey mushy-gushy warm-and-fuzzy saccharin-saturated romantic schmaltz. Like stuff you'd see on daytime television, or in a romantic comedy. Love so sweet that it gives you cavities.

I don't know how to write that, but I've seen soap operas, so I tend to model my mush after those, even the steamy love scenes. :p Hey, they cause warm fuzzies somewhere!

8. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Can the subject heading of this thread be changed to reflect the new challenge date, 29-July-2013?

Mush doesn't have to be calorie-inducing. It can be as simple as two clones finding each other after a battle, or Luke finding something in his pants pocket from Tatooine after the battle of Yavin that reminds him of Owen and Beru.

9. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    Sorry about that, I just forgot. My internets don't seem to like working at all right now but I'll keep trying to change it.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'll be on a plane on the 29th but if I manage to write something early, I may be able to do it. (Haven't decided if I'm taking the red eye and getting in on the 29th or just flying on the 29th)

As for the discussion, Hmm... I don't really have any do's or don't's. I have personal likes and dislikes, but that's just my opinions and not something that should apply to everyone. I know sometimes (usually!)when I'm trying to write mush my muse decides it needs some angst and I have to work to pull it back to mush. I agree that it doesn't have to be so sweet that your teeth fall out, mush can be pretty simple as ardavenport pointed out.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi: Love the challenge: hot and steamy. I love it in all its incarnations: literal and otherwise [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I adore mush, like duh! I think it's any moment of tenderness or understanding and honesty and increased closeness whether that's between sibs, Master/Padawan, a couple (my favorite kind) LOL or friends.

How to not kill the mush: I think sarcasm is the worst mood killer and that applies in writing and in RL. [face_thinking] Snark is fun and can be a vehicle for flirting, H/L or L/M-wise. But when someone is trying to be serious and the other person is flippant, :eek: Not good. :rolleyes:

How to make something mushy: Woohoo! There are as many ways as there are ff authors, and if it makes J_e squee! and gooify, his/her mission has been accomplished. [face_laugh]

12. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Any hints or tips to make a scene mushy or to prevent a scene from becoming the opposite of mushy?
    Be real. That's a simple bit of words that carries a lot of weight when it comes to anything, especially writing. Think about your daily life. Are there some moments that could fit the definition of "sweet"? If so, work from that angle and keep the emotions as they exist in that real moment. Real life can have many sweet moments, but none of those moments could ever be called "mushy".

As fans of mush, what do you think are the most important things when it comes to what to do and what not to do?It all comes back to reality. How real can you make those emotions of love/joy/closeness/sadness without overdoing them and making the reader or even yourself physically ill? Focus on the reality of emotions.

pronker and Nyota's Heart like this.
  13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Some great tips and responses there folks, keep it up! :)

Don't forget, you have a little over a week to come up with something. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

14. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    So for this challenge we write a mushy story and then we post it on the 29th and not before? Does it have to have known characters or are OC's okay? Also, I assume we post the story in the proper era and then put a link here? Is that right?

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    On and only on the 29th, not before or after. There is a bit of flexibility so as long as it's the 29th on the boards or where you live it's ok. It can be any character, OC or cannon. The only exception is if it's prohibited, like Luke and Han. And yes. You put the story in the right place and put the link in here. Hope that helps. :)

16. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Thank you. I will work on a story, but I don't know if I will make it for the deadline. I guess my Luke/Han plot bunny is out the window. lol! Although a mushy bro-mance would be fun to read. I can see Han and Luke drunk before Han's wedding. "You are my best friend," Han says and he throws an arm around Luke's shoulder. "I love you man!" Then he promptly passes out.

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Ewok_Slayer: Oh, yes! Sorry, I guess I was only thinking about romantic mush. My bad. [face_blush] Non-romantic mush can have anyone.

18. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I am working on a piece with no romance either but some funny and sad things

19. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That's awesome! It's great that there's such a variety of options within the genre of mush.

20. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm currently working on my first MMM! Given recent real life events, I figured I needed a little mush and it has turned into a very catharsis piece for me.

For me, I think there are no real big do's and don't for mush. Just try to put real emotion into it. Diabetic-coma inducing mush has it's place and is certainly fun to read and write from time to time, but its important to remember that that's not the ONLY type of mush.

21. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
  22. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
  24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004