main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania Discussion Thread and Index - Important Post (19th Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Great to see people taking part! It always makes me smile whenever someone posts mush. :)

I have some good news and some bad news. The bad news is that I'm thinking of stepping down as host. It's been a fun time but you've probably noticed that I'm not exactly good at getting challenges and discussions up that often. It's not an easy decision, but I'd rather see someone else in charge if they can do a better job than me. If anyone wants to take over, just drop me a PM and I'll sort it out. I'd love to keep going with this but I don't think it's fair to any of you.

Onto the good news! Thinking about the above has given me an idea for a challenge! I'll post that on Monday along with a new discusion.

2. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    So, it's Monday, it's 7:30pm my time, I didn't sleep last night and I've been on my feet all day. I'll try and keep this brief. [face_tired]

The Challenge: The End
    The Date: 23rd September 2013

All good things must come to an end, but an ending isn't always a bad thing. Can you think of endings that can be mushy? Can you turn otherwise un-mushy endings into mushy ones?

As always, the challenge is optional but the date isn't.

The Discussion: Endings

Everything that has a beginning has an end. We're born, and we die. We get a job, and we leave it. We start a book, and we finish it. We take on responsibilities, and we pass them on. What is it about endings that think of the most? Do you dwell on what once was, or do you look forward to what could be?

3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh... good challenge! I'm going to try and actually get something for this one. Hopefully a bunny will bite.

I'll be honest, I hate endings; even when I quit a job that I hated with every fiber of my being I still felt a little sad. I get attached to people and characters so easily that when something ends, I feel like I'm losing something. When I was little, the worst thing was the end of 4-H camp, I usually cried for a day or two about it and then was sad for quite some time. The ending of a favorite TV show feels like I'm losing a friend I see every week.
    That being said, if it's an ending to move on to something else, I still hate the ending but look forward to what could be as well. When I moved from WV to Boston, I really hated leaving my family and friends... I still do and often try and convince them to move up here, but it's one of the best things I've ever done and I don't regret for a minute that I did it.

Writing endings is a completely different matter, I love doing that! Finishing something you've been working on or just finding the right way to end a story can be so very satisfying.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    This is a tough one. I don't know if my muse will cooperate.

5. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Alright, I'm interested. Don't know if the plot bunny will bite but we will give it a shot

6. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    I've been giving this one thought..and I think I'll try for it.

7. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Don't worry if you can't think of anything that fits the challenge, you're more than welcome to add general mush. :)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I read a book (that is currently packed and unable to be located without me making a bigger mess than necessary :p ) that had a last line something along the lines of, "This is not the end. There is more to their story, but this is not the place to tell it." Or ... something. IT's been a few years (and now it's bugging me and I'm going to try to find it 8-} ).

I hate endings. I hate them even when they're happy and there's a sequel and that's happy, too, and I know because I've read them so many times the spines are broken. But I hate them ending anyway because I loved them so much.

I absolutely think endings can be mushy. Really, all the best endings are :p I like to think that this isn't the absolute end, just the end for now, a segue into a new part of a journey. And I'm super excited for this challenge :D

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Usually, I try to plan the ending, first. This way, I have a goal for my story. The ending could be happy, bittersweet, cliff-hanger, or the story may end on a single scene that simply stops because at that point, all the loose ends were tied and there was nothing more to tell. Granted, that last method isn't always a good way to go, as many readers want some sort of final send-off. They want a true curtain-call. Sometimes for me, I can't think of one and just make sure to end on a note that may or may not lead into another story.

Endings can be mushy, and I've written a few, though not as saccharin-saturated as possible. I think my mushiest ending ended with a character's comment on how the falling snow looked beautiful.

When I plan an ending, I don't often plan it down to the letter; I just plan a scene. Sometimes, a phrase will pop up that I want to end on, and I'll fashion the scene to include it. More often than not, though, it's just a scene. Or, I'll just drop the curtain on my actors and end it mid-sentence, simply because I had tied up all my loose ends and there wasn't anything else to do than to get the characters off the stage.

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I just realized I will be on a road trip when this story is due. I guess I won't be able to participate.

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    You could always PM the sock if you want. I'm more than happy to post mush for someone. I'm also fond of bending the rules as much as possible. :)

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, great challenge! I'm definitely going to try to write something for this.

I like endings. I'm a fan of when everything, especially books and tv shows come to a nice tight ending. I love writing an epilogue for a fic - it means I can move on. As for endings in real life, I like to look on the bright side of them. I've had to say many final goodbyes. When my father and grandfather died, as hard as both events were, I took comfort in the fact that their sufferings were over. I'm a believer in "the end is not the end". There is always something more.

Endings in fics can totally be mushy, and I love it when they are.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    <sigh> My best intentions didn't work out, so I'll have to post my story later. The muse works on its own schedule.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Darn it! I completely forgot about this one! :(

16. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Weeeeeell, we might have to think about having another MMM to make up for it. I have something in mind, but I'm working late last week and this week, so it kind of got crowded out for me.;)

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I tried to do one, it ended up really angsty. I was going to post it anyways, then I realized I forgot to save it :(

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I hope to have a new challenge up on Monday. Sorry it's been a bit of a wait but things haven't exactly been easy IRL. Hopefully the next challenge will make up for it. :)

mavjade and NYCitygurl like this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Love the discussion in here on endings from the Sept. challenge. :cool: I agree with many of the sentiments in here. I think authors who don't give an IC ending much less any at all are lazy or sloppy. :rolleyes: I hate it when shows end without plumbing the depths of the potential of a relationship. It just ends. :( I adore mushy endings, middles, and beginnings. [face_laugh] I love to saturate L/M with mushy because profic didn't do that near enough. :p

Will be watching for the next challenge.

~~~

P.S. If there is a schedule conflict for any one who wants to participate, conversate me with your fic and I'll ghost-post it. :D So all can squee! [face_dancing]

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  20. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Glad you liked the discussion. I try to keep them themed to the challenge.

I'd also like to echo that I will post fics with the official account if someone can't make it on the day.

21. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    Hi everyone! Today it is Monday, and as promised I have a new challenge for you!

Challenge theme: New Beginnings
    Challenge date: January 6th 2014

Every ending has a beginning, and sometimes endings lead to beginnings. We've looked at endings, so now let us look to beginnings for mushy inspiration. This can be any kind of beginning. The beginning of a journey, a new life, a new relationship, or the next step in a current relationship. It's up to you. I know this time of year is busy, so I chose the beginning of the new year, which is in keeping with the theme.

Discussion: Bad Beginnings

While this challenge is looking for mushy and perhaps good beginnings, not all beginnings are good. Sometimes they are bad, even if they do lead to good or better things. What bad beginnings have you had? How did things turn out?

22. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm putting this on my calendar! And very much looking forward to it :D

moosemousse and Nyota's Heart like this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have one for tomorrow

24. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That's great! I look forward to reading it. :)

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I also have a yummy something, a L/M sweet moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.