main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Monday Mush Mania Discussion Thread and Index - Important Post (19th Feb 2014)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Monday_Mush_Mania, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Sadly, a plot bunny just did not bite for me this time around.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I had some ideas but waited until the last minute and had to deal with snowpocalypse :(

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I'll admit it, I completely forgot. I usually try to do MMM -- I've got ideas -- but I've been working on a few non-SW fics and I didn't take any time off work over the holidays, and I've got costumes to make.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Dangit. I should check this thread more often. Last challenge a bunny bit me right away. :(

7. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo: I could send you a PM when I set a challenge if you want? I'll be posting a new one hopefully Monday but I'm recovering from Surgery so it might be delayed.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Looking forward to a new challenge! I'm determined to do it this time around! I've had kinda bunnies the last few but just never get them written.

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    looking forward too. I love a new challenge

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    moosemousse That's alright. I just can set this thread to watch.

11. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I'm looking forward to one as well!

12. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    Oh, hey! I was going to do a new challenge last week, wasn't I? This recovering from surgery thing is a pain, both figuratively and literally! But it has given me an idea for a challenge, so all is not lost!

The Challenge: Recovery
    The Date: 7th April 2014

We all go through rough times, whether it's personally, or it's a family matter, or even on a larger scale with economic crisis that's going on, not just at home but abroad too. Things do get better though and after the worst is over there's a period of recovery. It's still bad but at least it's easier to see that things will be ok. So the challenge is really to think about your characters and their world and come up with something that they could be recovering from, or their community could be recovering from. Maybe they've had surgery, or maybe Sandpeople have raided. The important part is that the worst is over and things are getting better.

The Discussion: Recovery

Has anything happened recently that you or someone in your family has needed to recover from? If you can't think of anything or there's nothing you're happy to share, feel free to discuss your favourite characters in any medium.

Quick Questions

How long do you like to have for a challenge? This one is eight weeks away, but is that too long? Would it be better to do a short challenge so there's less chance of procrastinating the time away and forgetting about it?

Also, how do you like the challenges? The sock is always open to suggestions, so if there's something you really want to do then you can always PM the sock.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Challenge length: I think 8 weeks is waaaay too long. It's too easy to procrastinate and forget by then or have a great idea in March and it vanishes by the time the deadline arrives. :rolleyes: A month max I think is good. [face_thinking]

What a relevant challenge theme! =D= I love the topic of recovery & how friends/family lend support and become closer. I think the SW events lend themselves to that sort of thing as canon or as an AU. :cool:

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I love the new challenge. 4 weeks should be enough for a challenge.
    And the theme. I have something for sure

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  15. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    8 weeks is a little long for a challenge. Mush challenges tend to be one-post kind of stories that can be done in a short time. 4-6 weeks is a good range. Less than a month is a little rushed. Unless the challenge is for a mushy drabble (100 word story) which might be a good quickie to try out.

I don't have any other suggestions for the moment, but if I do, I'm just as likely to post it in a discussion here as PM the sock.

And 'Recovery' is a perfect subject for mush. ;)

16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    8 weeks is way too long. If I write a story I am impatient to post it. I don't want to wait two months. If you want to keep it at 8 weeks why not let people post their story any Monday from the start date until the end?

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I really like the topic!
    But I too think 8 weeks is too long, I usually don't write right away to give it time to steep, but by that long, I've forgotten about it and don't get to it. I think a month is usually adquate.
    Or I like the idea that J_L has about it being any Monday in that time period.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    As the self proclaimed queen of hurt/comfort fics, I like the topic of recovery! I'm definitely going to try for something. I have 2 bunnies already.

As for the questions: 8 weeks is waaaay too long. Like Mav said, I like to think about what I'm going to write, but then I forget to write it because it's so far away. 4 weeks is good, even 3.

19. Monday_Mush_Mania

Monday_Mush_Mania Jedi Master star 1

Jun 9, 2007
    If everyone is in agreement I can bring the date forward a few weeks. Would that be ok?

earlybird-obi-wan and mavjade like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. That would be great (says the person with 5 papers due over the next 2 months).

21. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I saw my muse twitch. Not much, but it's something.

In terms of the topic, I've touched upon recovery quite a few times, both physical and mental recovery. I prefer to write recovery from either mental trauma or mental illness, as it is a very long journey and has the potential to take the character through different adventures. They are usually able-bodied enough to withstand any physical pressure, as well. I find I have more options for storytelling potential at my disposal with mental recovery than I do with physical recovery.

22. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    So I just saw this thread as I've come back from hiatus, and I wanted to jump back in. The current topic is a great one, and I think I know a good plot Gizka that's waiting to be written for it. I also agree that 8 weeks might be a bit too long of a deadline, especially for me with school and other things to distract me.

23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I've got something mushy going and next Monday is the day. Should the topic header of this thread be changed?

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Mine is ready for the coming monday

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    So excited for tommorrow! I need to do some writing tonight :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.