main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Monetary currency on Tatooine

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by BuriedAlien, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuriedAlien

BuriedAlien Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    In STAR WARS EPISODE 1 (THE PHANTOM MENACE), Wattoo the Toydarian junk dealer would not accept Qui-Gon Jinn's Republic credits as payment for the parts Qui-Gon needed to repair Amidala's Naboo cruiser. Wattoo said that Republic credits were not an accepted currency on Tatooine. Did this change by the time the Empire took over? Were the denizens of Tatooine using Imperial currency by the time of the Original Trilogy?

If neither Republic nor Imperial credits were ever used on Tatooine, then what *did* the people of Tatooine use as a medium of exchange? Was it a pure barter system, or did Tatooine have its own currency (possibly issued by the Hutts)?

2. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    There's an EU defined Hutt Credit that was used on Tatooine. It's called a Wiuppi or something like that.

I would imagine there were some people and places that took Republic/Imperial credits. Likely not at the current exchange rate though. ;)

3. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    I would imagine they did a lot of trading.

4. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    I believe that Tatooine was initially a Republic planet, but as the Republic got overstreched and corrupt and Tatooine fell out of it's influence. The Hutts move in and are in control. But then the Empire comes on the scene and dominates the whole galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.