main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Money, money, money

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Lewis_Black, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewis_Black

Lewis_Black Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 6, 2002
    After spending my hard earned cash (okay, I used credit) tonight, I was struck with the idea: Where do Jedi get their funding from? It seemed to me that it would be against Jedi code to accept money from people. But none of them looked like beggars anyway.

It can't be cheap to build a light saber. And robes don't just grow on trees. And food. And transportation. And money to blow on blue-headed strippers.

It must be coming from somewhere.

2. jangoboy71

jangoboy71 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2002
    maybe they get paid by the senate or taxes. they are kinda like the police of the galaxy so thats a job which has to bring in money.

3. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    LB brought this up last night at Media Play and I suggested it would make an excellent discussion topic.

I thought of them being funded by the Senate and/or the Supreme Chancellor since they were on a mission from here at the start of EP I. But would the Jedi, who follow a strict moral code, want to be beholden to a political body by accepting payment for their services?

4. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    It is quite obvious. Jedi mind tricks, which work well on the weak minded Senators. :p

Jedi to Senate Appropriations Committee: *waves hands* You will give us all the money we need.

Senate Appropriations Committee in unison: We will give you all the money you need.

Jedi to Senate Appropriations Committee: *waves hands some more* We need money to build us a spiffy new temple with a fleet of starfighters.

Senate Appropriations Committee in unison: We will give you money to to build a spiffy new Jedi temple complete with a fleet of starfighters

Yoda: Jedi mind tricks, I like. Weak minded politicians, easily controlled, they are. Hmmmm. A new gimer stick, I need. More money, we need.

:p

Seriously, though, I believe that they are funded by the Republic, because they are basically Ambassadors and keepers of the peace (basically a UN) for the Republic. The government (such as the US government) provides housing, food and compensation for their representatives and keepers of the peace. Either that, or they just use Jedi mind tricks to get their money. :p

5. jangoboy71

May 14, 2002
    however, jedi are keepers of the peace. i think with all the money they'd be losing to the jedi there would hardly be any peace

6. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    how do cops get paid? how do politicians get paid? how do ahem military members get paid? by the government...meaning your tax money (don't you feel good knowing my paycheck comes from your pocket...wait...my paycheck comes from MY pocket too...wtf?).

Anyway, I'm guessing they're funded by taxes like any government agency. Nobody would really feel they're losing money to the Jedi b/c they're just paying their taxes. Do you really stop and think about how you're losing money to the police or military?

7. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Regardless of the services they volunteer to the Republic, I don't think they see themselves as the military.

They are an order, pretty much a religious one. The Jesuits historically have served a very useful role as teachers, but the government doesn't fund the Jesuits, a more apt analogy in my opinion.

8. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I don't know. I would say they're involved with the government the way they're interacting with the chancellor and senate at the first of AOTC. I wasn't saying that they are the military, just that they'd be funded the same way through taxes and what have you.

9. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    it said in the book rogue planet that that many people make donations to the jedi. and in the book it said that several billion creds is just a few percentage points of the jedi bank account. so they must have allot of rich fans or know how to make a killer investment.

10. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    Farseeing, does wonders for the stockmarket. Plus when people see the Jedi investing "They must be on to something" and invest as well making the stock go up anyway.

11. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    It's probably closer to reality. In the Roman Catholic Church, enormous amounts of money pour in every minute by the devoted legions to ensure the Vatican never falters. I would surmise that with the vast charitable wealth of a Galaxy, funding the Jedi via that route is no biggie.

12. jangoboy71

May 14, 2002
    they might sevretly steal it from people :D

13. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    I think the Jedi are like the CIA...within the law, but still above it. Know what I mean. AND they are their own branch of protection who do whatever they want. Sound good to anyone?

14. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I'd guess theres a combination of gov't funding, private donations, investments (a thousand generations is a lot of time to let an investment mature) and probably a variety of prices they've picked up in various ways throughout history that are now valuable. As was mentioned before, I'm basing part of this on the operations of the Catholic Church, without going into some of the details of how the CHurch aquired some of their prizes.

15. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    I just want some :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.