MONSTER - MONSTER - CLONING FACILITY

Discussion in 'San Antonio, TX' started by ObiJuan70, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Welcome SA Fanforce readers to the premiere post of MONSTER CLONING FACILITY as two Imperial Trooper junkies work on getting fully armored for conventions !!!

I am your host ObiJuan, and we start off with our first Monster Cloning Facility project: One Stormtrooper ABS armor kit being assembled for one Jim Marshall so he can be a part of the Imperial Ranks and terrorize Rebels (especially those who carry beanie babies in their jacket pockets . . .)

The Time Span: depending on how much we wish to tweak out Jim's armor and re-tweak my completed set and our crazy schedules, anywhere from a few days to a week or more.

Resources: my completed armor kit, which will soon be going DIRTY, and I don't mean Christina Aguilera Dirty, I'm talkin Sandtrooper baby !!!

We start off with Day 1: Planning, sizing, cutting and sanding . . .

We took out all the parts to get a glance at what all needed to be trimmed and / or sanded, luckily, there's not that much of a need for a whole lot of sanding but we did cut the ab plate from the cod piece so that Jim can have some torso mobility and not look like a robot. There was Great concern in making this cut but I told him that he was giving his armor an Imperial C-section and that the scar won't show up since his belt will cover it, alas a Trooper bikini cut. Once the pieces were separated it was time to start the sanding and get Jim into his bodysuit for the sizing of the leg and arm armor pieces.

We took alot of time measuring on Jim to determine whether or not he needed to use shims (Monster Cloning Facility Factoid: Shims are extra plastic pieces to fill in spaces on armor to make it look more seamless for you non-prop building cake eaters and not something else) and we also brainstormed on a better way for the bicep pieces to hang better from the shoulder bells with snaps and elastic rather than the traditional and sometimes evil velcro . . .

Jim also got to see his future as ole ObiJuan donned his Trooper armor to show how the finished product will be once we finish this pilot season of MONSTER CLONING FACILITY !!!!

Pics to follow soon and stay tuned for Episode 2 !!!!!
  2. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    It was a real pleasure John. Thanks for your much valued (and continuing) help. Your right about being a little nervous about cutting into the ab section but hey it needed to be done. Oh, and seeing your trooper suit complete was a real treat. I can't wait for us to finish mine. I appreciate your taking the time to help me with my armor. Thanks Jim.
  3. bountyhunter1979 Jedi Knight

What is the cost to get a armor?
  4. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Prices vary my friend since there are some reputable and Not-so reputable makers out there . . .

Ebay is the best place to start . . .

John
  5. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    DAY 2 !!!

More cutting, sizing, gluing, and sanding as well as some shopping and some cracking . . .

Day 2 of Monster Cloning Facility began with a major munch down at TC's (that's Taco Cabana, not that silver protocol droid) then it was off to obtain much needed materials for our tasks.

After hitting Walmart, Lowes, and Sears, to get elastic, plastic, suspenders, and desert camo paint (Think Sandtrooper baby !!!) we made our way back to the Monster Cloning Facility to get to work.

While Jim was separating his buttplate ( heheheheh - he said buttplate)from his back piece, I was working on the plastic strips for the snaps to be attached upon. Once the snaps were ready we threw in some team effort and got the back piece cut.

Next up: Preliminary Gluing - Shoulder bells and Bicep pieces ? Say hello to my little friend !!!

Once the gluing was done it was time to make the cuts for the ab and back pieces so the suspenders can hook in to the pieces.

During that time, I got to make some modifications to my armor doing away with more of the EVIL VELCRO !!!!

In the end, we got ALOT done and this armor kit is on its way to completion . . .

Don't Miss Episode 3 of MONSTER CLONING FACILITY !!!!!!!!!
  6. SilverAlaska Jedi Padawan

Will instructions on armor removal also be posted? They would be much appreciated, you know.
    ~AgAK, Lisa's crazy trooper-obsessed friend
  7. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Uhhh - not on this post it won't . . .
  8. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Day 3: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap . . .

Day 3 started with a visit from another Trooper candidate. New friend to the SAFF and SA area Troops, Jason who is in the works on obtaining his Biker Scout armor and / or Stormtrooper armor met up with the Monster Cloning Facility crew to talk about future endeavors of his armor. Jason, we wish you the best of luck and once you get it and in need of help building it, the Monster Cloning Facility is here to help. . .

Highlights of the day dealt with more sizing, gluing and . . . weathering, my armor received some light weathering on the helmet and the chest piece to signify that there's no going back from being dirty.

While I was weathering, Jim got to work on his forearm pieces. Once those were sized and glued it was teamwork time to get to work on attaching the shoulder straps to the chest and back armor. We started off with gluing the straps to the chest piece leaving the back piece to be attached tomorrow.

Once that was glued and clamped, we got to work on attaching elastic to the hand plates which brings us to near completion of the upper body of the Trooper kit.

Pics will be taken soon !!!!

Don't miss the next episode of MONSTER CLONING FACILITY !!!!!
  9. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Day 4: Upper body and more painting . . .

When the crew of Monster Cloning Facility met today, the plan was to finish off all upper body parts of the armor and it got done !!!

We also tried a new technique of attaching the bicep pieces to the shoulder bell using a method we used the night before on the hand plates . . . We shall see the results soon and hopefully they will work well to Jim's specs.

The chest and back armor was also glued together today which is also a very daunting task to do but with teamwork involved, the difficulty level dropped considerably.

While Jim was fine sanding some areas on the forearm pieces, I was finishing my Sandtrooper conversion, with it being complete now my designation has changed from TK to TD-7012 on the 501st . . .

We will be taking the weekend off to allow parts to bond and will regroup on Monday for another episode of MONSTER CLONING FACILITY !!!!
  10. Darth-Hulk Jedi Master

star 4
    Aren't you a little short for a clone trooper?
  11. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Anyways, before the disruption, we will have pics up soon so stay tuned . . .
  12. Darth-Hulk Jedi Master

star 4
    I, in no way, am trying to make light of John's major achievement here. I for one can't wait to see him in full gear. That will be an amazing thing.
  13. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Dath_Hulk.....I was privledged to get to see John in full stormtrooper armor and it was very cool. Its hard to believe that those individual plastic pieces come together to create a rather impressive costume.
  14. jediscooby Jedi Padawan

I will be getting my stormtrooper kit this week, so hopefully I will be putting together this weekend. Then at the end of Sept, I will be getting my Biker Scout kit and will be having fun putting it together. The Cloning facility is coming together really well.
  15. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks like we have some more seasons of MONSTER CLONING FACILITY AHEAD OF US !!! - But ofcourse this season with Jim's kit is far from over . . .

Stay Tuned Friends !!!!

John
    TD-7012
  16. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    jediscooby, congrats and good luck. If you are in need of any assistance just ask John and myself.

Jim
  17. jediscooby Jedi Padawan

Jim, appreciate any and all assistance, that goes for you to John! Today is the day that the Stormtrooper kit is suppose to be delivered to my front door. Like a kid at Christmas time... Definitely be giving you guys a call. - Jason
  18. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    jediscooby, did your Stormtrooper armor kit come yesterday as expected. If so what do you think of it?
  19. jediscooby Jedi Padawan

I just got the kit today and must say I am very impressed with it and even came with instructions, so I am looking forward to putting it together this weekend.
  20. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    jediscooby, be careful with those instructions as they tend to emphasize velcro for just about everything on the armor. Which is a big mistake. John and I have been working on better ways to assemble the armor so let us know when you are wanting to work on it....its really a multi-person project at certain points in the assembly process. The helmet is the most painstaking but do-able part....just take your time. Forget using the ABS glue use either a hot glue gun or the Plumbers Goop glue we are now using to assemble the armor. ABS cement is great stuff but it works way too fast and can melt and burn the ABS plastic.
  21. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    CONGRATS TO JASON !!!!

Let me know Bro when you want Jim and myself to get ya outfitted buddy !!!

Important email to be sent to you guys tonight !!!!

Take Care my Brothers !!!

John
    TD-7012
  22. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    One kit is on its way to completion, another one begins . . .

Our Episode begins with the meeting of our new Monster Cloning Facility crew worker, Jason . . .

While Jim and myself brainstormed on ideas for his Trooper belt, he also worked on his other project, a Force Pike for Royal Guard outfit, and then construction began on Jason's bucket . . .

It can be said that bucket construction is harder than a match of tug-o-war with a drunken Bantha, but we pushed forward and with the teamwork of the three, got Jason's bucket to near completion leaving him to just apply some decals and touchups to some of the painting on the helmet.

In the end, Jason is now on his way to becoming a Trooper and Jim is closer to finishing out his full costume.

Stay Tuned MCF Fans, the best is yet to come !!!!!

John
    TD-7012
  23. bebo_lokk Jedi Knight

star 2
    JOhn - send me some pics! (If anyone needs donning instructions, I can help. It's taken me a while but think I have it figured out)
  24. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    jediscooby, glad you were able to make it the other nite it was a blast helping out. I did want to let you know that the rest of your helmet pieces (ear piecs and chin guard) are finished being painted and look great. Let me know when you want to get them so you can finish up the helmet. BTW, how is that bucket coming along? Last I saw it look great.

John, sorry you couldn't make it tonite but hey I know how work goes....gotta pay for these expensive projects. I did manage to start glueing the leg and thigh armor (along the front seam). I still know its gonna need to be cut down as I don't have those long of legs. I did find on my own rough fitting that I needed to glue in some shims so that they won't be too awefully tight on me. Any rate....didn't get a lot done since I have to be patient and wait for the glue to set. I'll let you know how it goes.
  25. jediscooby Jedi Padawan

Glad to be part of the cloning facility. Definitely patience is a virtue. I have a long way to go to get the suit together. I had one problem... the liner in the helmet came out, so the hot glue does not work. Back to the drawing board on that one... I am looking forward to getting together again and getting the suit completed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.