main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Monster of The Week: The Original "Night Stalker" 2/25 RIP Carl Kolchak

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Healer_Leona , Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    One of my guiltiest of pleasures even now are rerun episodes of the short lived 1974 series. Carl Kolchak was originally introduced to us in a Movie of The Week entitled The Night Stalker, which involved Darren McGavin as a reporter with a nose for the more bizarre of stories. This story involved a Las Vegas serial killer who drained his victims blood and left two small puncture wounds on the neck.

While Kolchak had no problem in dealing with the obvious, the authorities and his editor are less than thrilled with talk of vampires. Naturally, Carl takes it upon himself to hunt and destroy the vampire.

Darren McGavin was inspired as the rumpled reported, with a deapan delivery and Simon Oakland was superb as his no nonsense editor.

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y5/healerleona/NIghtstalker.jpg]

From this came a second Movie of the Week, The Night Strangler, with Kolchak again on the trail of another serial killer who hid in the underground beneath the streets of Seattle.

Though low budget as MOTW's were, these were noted for Richard Matheson scripts that mixed horror and quirk humor.

From these sprang a short lived series, 20 episodes in all and has been acknowledged by Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files as a major inspiration.

I know, another golden oldie. :D :D

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
  3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    To be honest, I didn't know him that much.

R.I.P Original Carl Kolchak.

4. steve12553

steve12553 Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2006
    You may also recognize him as the father in the christmas classic "a Christmas Story". They did manage to get him into a couple of X-Files episodes during the final few seasons which was a wonder tribute. One must recognize their roots.

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    i've seen a couple episodes of this. Not too bad, actually.

RIP, Darren McGavin.

6. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I freaking LOVED the Night Stalker. Sad that he's gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.