main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Monsters / Creatures in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ScorpionJedi, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Choose your monster / creature

1. Banthas

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Space Slugs

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Kryat Dragon (Not in bone form)

71 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Wampas

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Tauntauns

14 vote(s)
    9.9%
  6. Rancors

22 vote(s)
    15.5%
  7. Sarlaccs

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. DewBacks

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Mynocks

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Dianoga (Death Star Garbage Compactor Monster)

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Ok so in both the PT era and the OT trilogy era stories we sometimes see fantastic and out of this world looking animals be it Nexu or Acklay in the PT or Rancors and Wampa creatures in the OT. What do you guys think we'll see in the ST and how would they be done(practical effects most likely I feel)? Would they be creatures lifted straight from the EU or something else entirely?

Thoughts?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I think we will see brand new creatures, and I'm afraid I think they'll go CGI. Maybe a flying creature that someone has to ride, CGI for distant/action shots, practical for up close.

Immortiss likes this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The bioluminescent creature that was supposed to be in ROTJ perhaps?

T-R- and my kind of scum like this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm 100% sure there will be brand new creatures. I have absolutely no idea what they'll be though, since creatures aren't really limited by anything we already know (or think we know) about the universe. I won't even try to speculate on what kind of weird animals we'll see :p

Mystery Roach likes this.
  5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'd mostly like new creatures with a dash of old if done well and different than before (not rehashing). Since more creatures means more worlds and expanding the universe instead of just reusing Rancors all the time or giving them wings like Dawn of the Jedi did... :oops:

A good Example of reusing an old creature would be like Allana Solo and her pet Nexu from the EU, since it was a totally different take on the species. Plus I just love the idea of a girl and a cheshire cat, its both very Disney and very Star Wars [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

The very concept of this is just funny, like Chewbacca running around without clothes and fly starships...

cwustudent, mes520, T-R- and 2 others like this.
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    It dawned on me a while back that Revenge of the Sith is the only film of the saga that doesn't have a hero character in conflict with a creature. If I recall correctly, the only creatures in the film are on Utapau: the Boga and some flying things in the background of a bunch of scenes.

I'd say more alien creatures (a couple old, a bunch new) are pretty much a given in the upcoming films. I mean, this is Star Wars.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I had actually begun typing out "ideas" and then deleted what I had begun writing solely for the reason you stated. I'll warrant a guess and say a species may be based on the general principles of an earth species... as Wampas & Tauntauns would be "mammals". I imagine we will see something amphibious.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tauntauns were eventually portrayed as "hairy reptiles".

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tauntaun

(Some reptiles (certain snake families, for example) do give birth to live young).

Gungans are amphibious - but fall under "intelligent beings" rather than "animals"

9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Rots was initially supposed to have Obi Wan facing off against the Nos monster in the depths of the Utapauan city, but it was scrapped early on...

I'd like to see a nerf herder tending to his flock of nerfs. :)

Rabs, Hydro spanner Celt and T-R- like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novelization, he meets a Slimy Cave Monster - but instead of the two fighting - he uses the Force to convince it to attack the probe droids that have been sent down to check if he's actually dead.

He then has to dodge its young - which snap at him - and reflects that "people who think all baby creatures are cute, really need to get out more."

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    But no reptiles have fur, so calling them reptiles instead of mammals was just strange. Also, a reptile would have a very hard time living in that climate.

Anyway, I agree with The Hellhammer ... there will be new animals, and we have almost no way to predict what they'll look like. :p

Dewback and T-R- like this.
  12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Currently no reptiles have fur. Plenty of protomammalian reptiles probably had it though.

Then you've got pterosaurs- which were covered in something hairlike - but were reptilian in other respects.

The idea of a creature with warm blood and hair - but no mammaries whatsoever - doesn't seem all that exotic.

13. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    [face_tee_hee] mammaries [face_tee_hee]

14. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I expect to see some new and never-before-seen creatures, but I definitely wouldn't mind them getting their inspiration from the EU.

For example, if the ST were to visit Moriband (I refuse to call it this) Korriban, then they can introduce the indigenous beasts of the planet, and perhaps some leftover Sithspawned creatures from times long past. For example, warbirds, hssiss, tuk'atas, and tarentateks. Some powerful and ravenous monstrosities for our heroes to battle. Maybe even a creature created by ancient Sith sorcery, like a Leviathan.

For more familiar creatures, I wouldn't mind seeing a small nexu, like what Ryus posted above with Allana Solo. One being stroked in the hands of a certain Muun, like a Bond villain.
    [​IMG]

If the ST were to visit the Nightsisters of Dathomir, I'd love to see the witches riding on rancors.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Luke should ride around on a horse.

16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Even though they used the Aiwhas in AOTC, I'd like to see someone ride some kind of flying creatures. I suppose there would be a danger of it being too "Avatar", but I still think it would be a really cool thing that we haven't seen used in any major capacity in these movies yet.

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    =D=

cwustudent and T-R- like this.
  18. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    more info on this? thanks.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    A Chorus of Disapproval
    Signature of Co-Signer

I can imagine it is covered in the recent "Making of..." book. Consider my interest piqued.

T-R- likes this.
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If Ewoks can do it so can Luke,

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm sure they'll be a wealth of new creatures/monsters in the ST. And with all these things, I'd like to see a mix of CGI, puppet, model and makeup/masks. I loved Jabba, the Tusken Raiders, the Rancor and Tauntaun from the OT... the Arena critters, the Neimoidians and the Boga from the PT. Am I the only one who wants to see a Krayt Dragon?

Mystery Roach likes this.
  22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I wanna see a Duck Billed Platypus the size of an Elephant in Episode VII

23. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    I'd bet that JJ has Neville Page working on creature design. He did creature design for the new Star Trek films and Cloverfield.

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'd love to see one.

25. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    As long as there are no giant spiders I'll be happy. Those things have been done to death by Hollywood in recent years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.