main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Monsters / Creatures in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ScorpionJedi, Feb 4, 2014.

?

Choose your monster / creature

1. Banthas

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. Space Slugs

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  3. Kryat Dragon (Not in bone form)

71 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Wampas

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Tauntauns

14 vote(s)
    9.9%
  6. Rancors

22 vote(s)
    15.5%
  7. Sarlaccs

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. DewBacks

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Mynocks

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Dianoga (Death Star Garbage Compactor Monster)

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The ROTJ light creature was to be in Jabba's Palace:

Before this, I didn't know there was any video. I had only seen still shots of filming.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  2. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Whoa, thanks for sharing! I've never seen that before. Anyone know what documentary that clip is from?

3. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    "Even though they used the Aiwhas in AOTC, I'd like to see someone ride some kind of flying creatures. I suppose there would be a danger of it being too "Avatar", but I still think it would be a really cool thing that we haven't seen used in any major capacity in these movies yet. "

There were also the Pauans riding the Dactillions in the Utapau battle in ROTS, but I wouldn't mind seeing another large flying creature like that. (Utapau would be a cool planet to revisit in my opinion, but I digress...)

Mystery Roach likes this.
  4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    anakinfansince1983 :p

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No giant spiders will mean a bonus for my local theaters.

Less vomit to clean off the seats of whichever one I patronize.

EHT likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Since animals evolve differently on different planets, we wouldn't be limited to earth constraint on our creatures. We could have some furry, reptilian looking creatures that lives in an ice cave and squirts molten lava from its rectum (a mechanism kind of like a skunk, only what it spewed would be deadly instead of just stinky).

Yes, I am sure there will be crazy and unexpected aliens, both animal and sentient life. One of the great things about SW.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Its not a reptile if its not cold blooded, it could have never have evolved on Hoth if was cold blooded let alone survived there. Not to mention if it was cold blooded it wouldnt have been warm enough to keep Luke alive when Han stuffed Luke inside it guts, since its internal temperature would have just frozen Luke to death too. That said nothing prevents it from having reptile like skin on top of fur, just as long as its not cold blooded and this reptile like skin helps it maintain heat somehow.

Skywalker Thing and Dra--- like this.
  8. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I am hoping for a sea/water creature that is smart and can ATTACK somewhere between a Dolphin and Shark

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    There's always a bigger fish.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  10. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Baboon-like creatures with turtle like shells, and can hide their heads, hands and feet.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dinosaurs?

12. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If it's on another planet, it's not a reptile, so we wouldn't have to worry about that. The same species wouldn't likely evolve on different planets. It could look like a reptile but have a high body temp, which dinosaurs likely did (bird species often have very high body temps).

Dragons also look reptilian, especially the ones in Games of Throne (and I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they have a high body temp :D).

13. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Seconded. But maybe they pulled a retcon there now that Ben Kenobi scares off the tuskens by imitating that video game dinosaur howl from ROTS.

14. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Thirded (They can't redcon the Krayt completely, since it's skeleton is in the movie, though)
    I'd love to see another gigantic space beast like the ESB slug, or the Zylla Beast from TCW (maybe they pickup that storyline in Rebels)

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd enjoy just seeing some random exotic beings running/walking/flying/floating/swimming in the background, no impact on the story whatsoever and no interaction with the characters. Just kind off add them there to liven up the place.

...then leave it to EU to connect them in some weirdly specific way with a crucial action taking place at that exact same spot as we see in the movie except that we, y'know... don't see it. :p

16. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    There could be other Krayt Dragons, but it seems to me that an Obi-Wan on Tatooine spin-off film would be the perfect place to show the origin of the one from ANH. Obi-Wan fighting the Krayt could be an exciting set piece, and it would also explain how he knew what it sounded like.

Or maybe the twist is that he was friendly with it, and it died protecting him. Either way the Tuskens should probably be involved as well.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    True dinosaurs aren't reptiles (at least in the modern day sense of the word where many mistake lizard as reptile, though they where a seperate brach of reptiles evolution wise with different traits... but I digress), but that was in fact my point 'reptile like skin is fine if it can maintain warm blooded temperatures'. However as to evolution, its tricky to predict what could and couldn't evolve on other worlds. After all their have been something like 23 totally different and unrelated species of 'saber tooth cats' that evolved on earth, some ranging from smaller than a house cat to others bigger than tigers all have independently evolved in totally independent parts of the world. So the cat form has found big teeth beneficial. Just as we now believe many dinosaurs had a type of feather that was close to hair on their bodies, argo not far off from a Tauntaun having both fur and reptile like skin. To sum up about half the dinosaur species where closer to birds than lizards, so where they proto birds or end stage reptiles... but clearly not lizards (which was my point, sorry for using bad terms... trying to layman what I wrote and just further complicated things, lol)

As to animals on different worlds being unable to be classified under another worlds evolutionary branches is unlikely, so true as you say, but then again given enough populated worlds laws of probabilty implies some of these worlds will have braches so close as to might as well being related. Its all conjecture at this point anyways, but when you get down to it there is only so many ways to fly so many different world species would likely share traits, just as skin texture being similar can mean they can only be different in so many ways, just was shape teeth can only have so many purposes. Etc...

No dinosaurs where reptiles in the modern day laymans term of misusing the word (aka lizards, which was my point) though they where a seperate branch of reptiles, in fact about half of them where way more bird like. So you get the debate of where they proto birds or end stage reptiles. Also remember lizarss and protomammels lived when dinosaurs where alive too. Dinosaurs branched off from common relatives to lizards about 300 million years ago. Dinosaurs are reptiles but not a brach of reptiles that still exsists today (hence the confusion of reptile = lizard which is false, though lizard = reptile is true)

[​IMG]

Again I said reptile meaning lizard due to it being really late and me not wanting to complicate things... of course didn't think that one though correctly being the internet and all where people on the other end actually know things, lol. Yes dinosaurs are reptiles but they're not lizards which was the context of how reptiles where being used in the post before mine. Not wanting to bring up the differences between lizard and reptile just continued saying reptile, my bad... sorry again for any confusion created by my poor choice of wording.

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    The odds would be astronomical that you would not only have the environmental conditions, but also that the extremely complex circumstances would fall together where a nearly exact form of life evolved on another planet. The thing that would even make it conceivable is pure probabilities (as you say) given that (hypothetically), space never ends- there are endless trillions of planets that could be a similar distance from a similar sun to create similar conditions for the evolution of life.

The funny thing is that the animal that is LEAST likely of all to evolve on other planets (Homo Sapiens) is the only animal from our earth that I can think of appearing in any SW movie. The appearance of life is quite certain on other planets, but there is a debate at even the highest levels of science as far as if intelligent, sentient beings existing elsewhere; they could be unique to earth. That gets into a pretty deep debate.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    How did we go from evolutionary patterns to the drake equation in paragraph 2? They're totally different topics... We're talking about creatures not the intelligent aliens. Also just based on the sheer number of N (still living intelligent interworld traveling species) in the drake equation odds are the FL (just life in general, not even intelligent life) part of the equation is astromically high, imply a great deal of simlar species that evolved on independent worlds regardless of how many different conditions these worlds have since clearly in Star Wars the FL part of the equation is close to the ne part of the equation. Argo the shere number of worlds that can sustain life out weighs how diverse these worlds are, to the point common traits in species from other worlds is very possible.

[​IMG]

Mathatically if you had a pool large enough its not impossible to have another you being born... so why can't species from two seperate worlds have some commonality?

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Evolutionary patterns actually include the most intriguing (IMO) questions of all- those pertaining to human evolution; after all, we are an animal despite distinction that we have from other animals. So that discussion could be separate or together; it is literally a true statement that we are the only earth animal in SW. My point in bringing that up was the irony of the only animal in SW being the least likely animal to be found on other planets.

Two species could possibly share commonalities on other worlds; however, whether intelligent life is one of those traits is still up for debate. Since we still have a relatively limited understanding of the brain, and what it is that separates us (aside from a more generally put statement, such as our brain being "like a more complex computer," which doesn't really give clarity to the reasons for our awareness), that aspect is still very much up for debate. There are theories that point both ways (obviously).

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Personally, I'm holding out for Rancornado!

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Lee_

I get what you're saying but this is a thread about creatures, even if technically all intelligent creatures are animals and animals is in the title of the thread... I feel you're veering off topic. I love studying human evolution, to the point where my biology college professor forced me to write about bird evolution instead, lol, apperently I knew more than her on the subject so she couldn't grade me (biology 101 professors [face_rofl]). Anyways point being we where talking about skin being reptilian but warm blooded but you've totally steered this convo into intelligence. Do you want to talk about actors with CGI velocoraptor heads or something? However whatever the answer in a GFFA there is hundreds of intelligent species, so debating if two planets can evolve intelligence independently has already been answered in this context as 100% yes, so much in fact that in a GFFA the adnormal would be a world capible of sustaining life not doing so would be against the norm.

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    More Rancors

Krayt Dragon

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, to be technical about it, our conversation evolved to a discussion related to but slightly outside the thread topic.

I never took straight biology in college, I took Physical Anthropology (labs also) classes, so I didn't have that issue. My favorite general ed classes, easily.

25. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Would love to see Krayt Dragons on-screen, finally.

Thus far there have been giant worms, amphibians, reptiles, mammals, etc. but I don't think there was any bird-like creatures, as of yet. Closest that came to that was Watto, if I recall correctly. So, yeah...I'll go with birds of some sort ftw.

T-R- and dolphin like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.