Salisb, NC MonstoreCon October 4th & 5th - Cabarrus Arena

Discussion in 'South East Regional Discussion' started by RipRoar, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    What is the Comics & Toys MonsterCon? We like to think of it as the most anticipated "Supernatural, Sci-Fi, Superhero Show" on the East Coast. The Comics & Toys MonsterCon is a multi-fandom convention for fans of superheroes, science-fiction, horror, fantasy, games, anime, and performing arts. This year, the convention will be a 2-day event at the Cabarrus Arena & Events Center (www.cabarrusarena.com) on Oct. 4th & 5th. On Saturday & Sunday, you will find a wide variety of merchandise from dealers coming from all over the East Coast & beyond. In addition, you'll be able to meet and get autographs from our featured guests. There will also be plenty of entertainment including gaming, trivia contests, costume contests, movie screenings and much more. On Saturday night, you'll find plenty of music and merriment at the convention after party (costumes are encouraged). The Graveyard Boulevard, The Tremors, Psycho Charger and a few other bands will thrill convention goers with their skele-tunes. Single Cell Productions will also be providing their own style of madness and mayhem. All of that is planned and we're just getting started, so if you're excited about the East Coast's most anticipated "Supernatural, Sci-Fi, Superhero Show", start spreading the word. Those interested in attending as a special guest, dealer, entertainer or volunteer, email us at: comicmonstore@bellsouth.net.

What kind of vendors will be there? We will have a large variety of vendors. There will be vendors selling comic books, collectibles, posters, movies, rare memorabilia, models, games, toys, art and costumes.

Can I come in costume? Of course, costumes are fun for everyone and are encouraged. We are also planning a costume contest. Costume weapons must be non-dangerous. That means no metal weapons and nothing that shoots a projectile.

Do celebrities charge for autographs? Most celebrities do charge for autographs, usually around $20. Many supply a photo or other memorabilia that they'll autograph for you, but they are also usually willing to sign your own items. The amount charged for autographs varies by celebrity. Authors generally sign the book that you buy. Keep in mind that most promoters, celebrities and authors often rely on autograph and book sales to cover travel expenses.

Can I bring my camera or video recorder? Yes. Bring your camera. There will be plenty of great photo opportunities. You can bring your video camera to the show and record in the dealers room only. PLEASE use courtesy and ask before taking a picture or filming an individual. Video cameras are for personal use only. Under no circumstances may any person or company shoot video footage of the convention or celebrities for commercial use without getting express written permission from us.

VIDEO RECORDING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED IN ANY AND ALL OF THE SPECIAL EVENTS AND Q&A SESSIONS.

Do the celebrities charge to have their photograph taken with you? This is entirely up to the celebrity. It is very common that if you buy an autograph from a celebrity they usually will take a photo with you for free. However some celebrities may charge an additional fee to take a photo. It again is entirely up to the individual.

Did you have any special guests or celebrities last year? Yes. We were thrilled to have Peter Mayhew, Chewbacca from Star Wars, attend last year. In addition, we had notable comic book personalities such as Ethan Van Sciver, Shane Davis, Andy Smith, Budd Root and Gary Friedrich (creator of Ghost Rider).

Is this a family friendly event? Yes. Our dealer room and daytime events are suitable for kids of all ages. Children under the age of 10 will be admitted free of charge. However, our after party and nighttime festivities will be geared more
    toward the grown-ups. At night, there will be a concert with several bands along with live performances by Single Cell Productions. Alcohol will be provided by The Cabarrus Arena & Events Center.

Will there be an artist alley? Yes. We proudly support all forms of art.
  2. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm looking forward to this con. Ray, the owner of Monstore comics in Salisbury is good guy and this con will be great - tell all your friends!
  3. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Folks, I'm looking for volunteers to work the registration table. Shifts are 2 hours. PM me if you are interested.
  4. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey I'll do it - have to check my schedule versus times you need... (One way to say THANKS to Ray)
  5. Darth_MacDuff Jedi Master

star 2
    Hey! This sounds like fun. I am going to have to see what my schedule looks like the first weekend in October. That last convention was a blast! Got my feet wet a little. The wife may keep my money this time so I won't come away with any more "toys". [face_laugh]
  6. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Great! At least it I'll have 2 people helping me. :p
  7. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    OK, volunteers that work 4 hours of volunteer time get a free weekend pass plus a shirt OR 1/2 price admission for a friend.

I'll be PMing you guys with some other "stuff".
  8. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok - we will wait for pm...
  9. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    I promise I'll get them to you! I'm running silly these days!
  10. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Received PM and will post on Charlotte board - Paul are you going too? If so let me know...
  11. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    All other from SFF - want to go to the CON? want to help work the registration table? Let me know or Jada from the CFF. Let's try to help out this year since we are not doing Dan Nicholas...
  12. matthewuzimake Jedi Knight

star 1
    yea i will need a ride should i just spend the night on friday
  13. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes - Josh would like that - you two can play The Force Unleashed all night on the Wii or 360! Bring $20
  14. Darth_MacDuff Jedi Master

star 2
    Looks like I am not going to be able to make this one. I have been drafted to man a ladder and a paintbrush this weekend. OH JOY! :_| I have a hall and the rest of the living room to paint and man, do we have some ceilings!
  15. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    Sorry your not coming... Have to do an armor pull soon but Halloween is near - Come to the party!
  16. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    Rip, you were such a big help on Saturday. Thank you so much! I appreciate you manning the door and making sure everyone was in the Con with a wristband.

Sunday I fell victim to some zombies:

[image=http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n290/CharlotteFanForce/MonsterCon2008/Picture069.jpg]

Oh well . . . must eat brains! More pics here.

The Con was a lot of fun. Looking forward to next year. :D

Again, thank you!

~Jada
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.