main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Monthly gathering

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by navaren, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navaren

navaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2001
    Hi everybody! (Hi Dr. Nick!)-
    The floor is now open for suggestions for this month's meeting. I'd suggest that we have a belated Christmas party, but am open to 'most anything else.
    I'm thinking we should do this around the middle of the month- again, I'm open to suggestions.

2. Handyman

Handyman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Everybody,

I'm here to offer moral support! :D

Make sure that someone at the monthly meetings takes photographs(preferably with a digital camera) so I can post them on http://www.starwarsutah.com.

There are loads of things that you can do. Meetings don't HAVE TO be related to Star Wars, but it helps. ;)

Ideas?

Later,

3. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    I think the belated Christmas party is a good idea.

I think it would be great to get to know everyone. I still have no clue as to who some of you are.

4. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Here's a thought:
    Maybe we could have someone give lightsaber lessons. I dont' know if those fighitng sticks were Mike's or Paul's, but those or broomsticks or toy lightsabers would all work if they were matched against the same thing (toys to toys, sticks to sticks etc). Maybe we could talk (con, bribe, whatever) Paul or the Master karate dude or someone else into giving some lessons.
    I think it'd be way cool, cause then if any of us wanted to do some sort of mini fanfilm in the future we'd have at least some instruction behind us rather than just waving sticks.

5. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Spoo,

That sounds like a great idea.

Paul?

6. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    Spoo-

Great suggestion. I have a large-ish room upstairs that could be used for that purpose.

Paul?

7. Keighvin

Keighvin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 30, 2001
    It would have to be QUITE largish, if we've got multiple people with mock swords in hand. I have 3 kendo sticks (well, 2 1/2, one of them is in serious disrepair and should be retired) and several swords, though only the former would really be of use for training for obvious reasons.

Working with the O Sensei Sama would certainly be fun, but not very Star Wars in this respect. Make no mistake the man is truly a master - but of traditional sword. Entirely different principles apply to the use of lightsabres as well as stunt choreography in general (to avoid killing one another). I've put over a year now just into the development and mastering of a unique style built specifically around the physics, history and intent of lightsabres. Master Davis is picking it up quickly but he still has a lot of un-learning to do too!

So, I am game for this. If my partner and I have a chance to warm up first we can give some pretty impressive demonstrations as well, full speed full force spontaneous sabre fights (though we really prefer the chinese spear against 2 swords). Hrm, perhaps we should have some form of waiver to sign? ;)

8. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Hmmm.... Waiver..... ;)

9. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Ooh, I like the idea. I'm definitely for it. I'd bring my friends.

10. Toran-Kal

Toran-Kal Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2001
    I'm up for it too. Its a good plan.

11. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I know that me and Toran-Kal each have toy lightsabers that are plenty strong to stand up for fighting (unless it's full FULL force fighting). They're a little bit short, but not too bad.

Rats, I left the fightings sabers I made at home again.

12. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    I don't think it's quite large enough to accomodate more than one pair at a time. Suggestions? The only other place I can think of that would be large enough would be a cultural hall.

13. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    I'm sure something like that could be arranged easily enough. Or maybe there's someplace on campus we would be allowed to use? Once we have a date set you could call the Smith Field House or something.

14. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    How about the lawn by the Wilk? The sword-fighting club at BYU uses it all the time. Oh, wait, forgot about lighting needs. May I suggest this activity innocently happen on the 14th? :D

15. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Hehe, we've got laughed at many a time while choreographing with toy sabres on my front lawn.
    I had 5. I broke 2 during filming, so I have 1 qui-gon, and 2 darth maul that I could bring. If somebody can melt plastic together, I've also got a Darth Vader and another Qui-Gon I could bring. :p

16. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    lol, that's too funny. My roommates laughed at me while I'd be writing fics because I'd stand up and pretend to be sword-fighting because I choreograph all my fight-scenes.

17. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    Lighting is certainly a necessity, as is temperature. Doing this outside at the wrong time would be terribly cold.

Clothing: Don't wear bulky or loose clothing while learning some of these techniques, especially if you actually end up sparring at all. Getting a handle caught on a garment can send a hard jab to the midsection, and bulky clothing inhibits motion. Whatever you wear needs to be reasonably close to the body and allow for good, full range motion.

Lighting: Though it's possible to find well lit places outdoors after dark (if this is to be the case) it's wholly inadequate for learning sabre techniques - it's very easy to lose track of yours or someone else's blade in a quick movement.

Cultural halls (gyms) are wonderful if someone cares to reserve one. If there are any concerns you can have them contact me and I'll address them directly.

18. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    I'll reserve a cultural hall. Next week, then?

19. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    That'll probably be good for me. This is going to be fun.

I also have an idea. I just finished my fanfilm. Its about 20 minutes long. So if its possible maybe we could get a tv there (like out of the library if its open) and when we're taking a break we could watch it. I would love to get some input about what you guys think of it.
    I just thought that would be fun. Let me know.

20. Handyman

May 19, 2000
    Greetings Toran-Kal,

I would love to see your Fanfilm. Do you want it hosted on the Net? :D

Later,

21. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    What time/days are everyone available?

Myself:
    Weekdays: 7:30pm onward.
    Saturdays: 2:00pm onward (with enough advance notice).

I can't speak for my choreography partner at the moment, but typically evenings don't work for him even on Saturday's (he's a graveyard shift security officer, meaning he also needs to sleep during the day - not sure of the schedule there though). We need to get some suggested dates/times together quickly to make sure we can move on this, especially if we wanted to try it as early as this weekend.

22. spoo

spoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2001
    Personally, weekday evenings are not good for me, since I have to do all of my homework then.
    Saturday would be best for me

23. Toran-Kal

Apr 23, 2001
    Same to me

24. navaren

Jun 9, 2001
    All right, January 19 at 6:00 pm, then? I'll reserve a cultural hall today.

25. Keighvin

Jan 30, 2001
    This should work, I await confirmation of location and time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.