main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Monthly meets...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by chewykingwookie, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I think it is time to get a discussion going about meets. I know we attempt to have one every month well we talk about it anyways and then things fall apart and the talks stop. Which to be honest with everyone bums me out. I like spending time with the people I have met so far and would like to meet more people that share the same love of SW as I do. I am sure we all feel the same way or else we wouldn't be here and this group wouldn't have formed.

So what should we do ladies and gents? Should we:
    1. Have meetings every other month - 6 times a year.
    2. Do quarterly meets - 4 times a year
    3. Just do cons or special events/holidays - (Xmas, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Super Bowl, SMF, etc)
    4. Continue with the monthly - just pick a set weekend for each month where everyone would know in advance to help them plan accordingly. Location would be the only thing we would have to figure out.
    5. Play it by ear - pretty much just post on here and on the website and if someone wants to have people over we do it.

I know I am not the best at getting the meets discussions going I generally start them with hopes of getting everyone involved to get plans made. There will be talk for a couple of days and things die out. As much as I would like to take the bull by the horns and say hey this is what we are doing I can't. I don't want to dictate what we are going to do and where we are going to do it and when. I want this to be a majority rules type of thing. The reason why I am saying this is I am still fairly new to MA and not sure what there is out there. In the 6 yrs I have been here I really haven't been able to get out much outside of Worcester and that has even been limited to work and family schedule. I know that we are more spread out now and I want everyone to be able to attend when we do have meets.

I would like to hear what everyone thinks about this and what everyone would like to do. It is your group to and everyone has a voice hear. So if everyone could post their ideas and thoughts regarding this matter it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jorge

2. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Hi there!

I am interested in meeting... perhaps not every month but at least every other. I don't think we should only meet for SMF but, that's just my two pennies.

I know that I can't always make it to meets because of my schedule but, I think it's sad that we can't pull one together with more than a month's notice.

I also think it's sad that this thread was posted two days ago and I am the first to respond (sorry it took so long - I really didn't know what to say).

Getting together to hang out, watch football, etc. would be cool. I pretty much have an open door policy from September - February for football games. This culminates with a Superbowl party complete with home-made lasagna, etc.

Beward though.... the dog speaks wookiee and my son will show you just about every SW toy he/we have. LOL

I don't know. I am up for meeting whenever we can as long as it fits into the schedule. I defintely don't want to see the place go up in smoke because of non-interest.

-K.

3. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I would like to add a couple more pennies to this thought process.... well, I guess it's really just one.

If there is no interest in getting together and staying together as a group - as the Massachusetts Imperial Sydicate - then why represent ourselves at SMF?

It's just a thought that I've had in the back of my mind since yesterday.... I am sorry if it comes out wrong but, really - why promote something if it really isn't there?

I, like some others, thought that we were really revitalizing the group when we met over the summer but, now I just don't know.... it's pretty sad though.

4. McLOVIN

McLOVIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    I think if we went to a meet every month and a half to 2 months that might work out better perhaps.

Life gets so complicated and busy.

And those who have little ones know what I mean.

Not that I have any lack of interest in meets.

I will be more active now and in the coming months.

I might go and start an October meet thread to get started so we can lock down a date.

CHris

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I was thinking, and I know I shouldn't do that without a lightsabre, but it happens. Maybe the best way to go about it is to have someone "in charge" of each month. This can be a regular thing (like I'll take each May for the Kentucky Derby) or it can be simply discussed and agreed at each meet for the next month. That person would be in charge of arranging for a posting on here and securing a location. If they want to do a Sharks game, for instance, they would be in charge of getting commitments and arranging the tickets.

I'm just thinking that the onus should not always be on one person to make the arrangements. We can spread the love around, y'know?

So... Who's taking next month?
    Who's taking December and the holiday party? If you show the Holiday Special, I think I'll be busy that weekend...

6. McLOVIN

Aug 19, 2007
    As for November..SuperMegaFest con is pretty much the meet.

I believe that December is open and I would be interested in doing an early December meet.

I was thinking maybe having a nice feast and having everyone bring a little something.

I have always wanted to do a early holiday Turkey or Ham or both.

Chris

7. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I am up for holiday celebration as well.... I usually have a party mid-december where I cook either a turkey or a ham - sometimes both - and the friends bring the rest .... veggies, desserts, etc.

Oh, I make home-made fudge and cheesecake for this event too.... LOL

8. McLOVIN

Aug 19, 2007
    Well if everyone is up for a December Feast Meet I will put up a thread for it and everyone can give their input for a December meet.

Chris

9. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I think we should get that started, Chris!

I am up for having it at my house on Saturday, December 15th... unless that doesn't work and we want to have it elsewhere.

10. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Promise: no SW: Holiday Special.

11. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I think part of the problem is trying to find a date that will work for everyone. It's going to be near impossible to pick 1 particular Sunday (especially in December) that works for everyone. I say set a date and whoever can make it, makes it.

Sure it would be great if everyone was there, but it's better to have one with a few people then to end up not having one at all.

12. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Hot on the heels of WoV's excellent Christmas party... The next definite date is the May meet for the Kentucky Derby at my house. I know Jorge talked about having a meet at his house when they settle on their home (BTW, Jorge, let me know when you move. I may be able to lend a couple somewhat strong arms). Other than that, we don't have anything definite. We should brainstorm a bit. Please post your ideas, no matter how strange or off=the-wall. Maybe we'll get some actionable things.

Some thoughts
    - Star Wars marathon. This would have to start at like 9:30 am. Six movies, 2 hours each, that's 12 hours. We'd start at 9:30 and go to 10pm. We'd have to have a couple rooms available in the house so that those that want to talk can go into the other room.
    - Worcester Sharks game(s)
    - Hiking a trail or two around here

Ideas, ideas, ideas! Let's get some ideas everyone!

13. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    IshyZ, I suggested Eddie Andelman's annual "Hot Dog Safari" for a June meet. It's @ Suffolk Downs in East Boston near Revere, so you'll be able to see live horse racing there. ;)

14. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    While we're on the subject. I got a PM from our NorthEast RSA Strawbary asking if we (Massachusetts) wanted to host one of the 'satellite' mees for this year's NorthEast FF Holiday party. Here is the message:

So what do you guys think? I already explained that it may be tough to pull off since we were already having a holiday party of our own (last night), but I figured I'd throw it out to all of you for your thoughts. The thought was that not only would it be for us, but also for any other FF in the region (RI, NH) who can't travel to western/upstate NY.

I'm not even sure if could pull it off. Does anyone own a webcam? Let me know what you think.

15. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    I don't own a webcam, sorry. :(

A Star Wars marathon would be awesome. It's something I've always wanted to do, but it's impossible to even go through one movie here at my house without being interrupted for something, so I've never been able to do it.

16. McLOVIN

Aug 19, 2007

I don't have a web cam either. I don't know what we can possibly do by January 18th. What about the weather too, We might get hit with a storm like we are getting today.

17. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    That's why we'd need another room for people to split off as they want. The movies can run, after all we all know what happens and probably all the words (Say it with me... "Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father...") So people can come and go as they please. I'd suggest my house, but my TV is so small.

18. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    I have a web cam that we could use for this adventure. My house would be out to have the meet however since we will be in the process of moving if they do the event on Jan 12th. I am willing to bring my web cam to some one's house that would be willing to host it for the NE region. I may not be able to attend for long or if at all but I would let someone borrow the cam for the weekend.

19. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    I don't even get how this webcam thing would work. How can you have a party through a choppy webcam? It's a bit odd. All we would be doing is having another holiday party, though this time with a webcam for people to watch us have drinks and food.

20. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    The regional holiday meeting is a fun idea in theory, but I hope they'd do a practice run with the webcams to make sure it'll be worth the trouble. If the video quality is crappy, and the 3 locations (or however many there are) can't see and hear each other at the same time, then it doesn't seem worth it. I like the idea of traveling to see our fellow NE FFers in person much better, though I understand it's harder to work out. There's no way we could plan for something like that at this point, with less than a month until the target date.

None of it really matters for me though, since I won't be around for it. I'll be in Ohio all of January.

As for other future meets, I'd LOVE to do a Star Wars marathon. I'd offer up my pathetic dorm room but I don't know if all of you could even fit in here standing. :p

21. chewykingwookie

Jul 24, 2005
    concept of having a web cam holiday party sounds interesting but will require a lot to get accomplished. If they set up user names on yahell for each region and use messenger to do the broad casts that could work. Web cams on yahell messenger are actually pretty good quality imagines. But if people move around and stuff too much things will get blurred. But that happens with any cam. None if we did a party and made a video of it and sent them off to a site for people to view that might be a better option. The digital camera I have can take 45 minutes of video and the quality is pretty good. I have recorded Spencer a number of times with it and have been pleased. One of his videos is on my facebook page pretty funny stuff.

22. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    Good morning all!

I am glad to see that this thread is alive and kicking again... I think that's awesome!

Ok, so, May is covered at Christa & Drew's for the Kentucky Derby (which, I can tell you now, if it's the Saturday, I won't be there... Jacob's making first communion on the first Saturday of May - the 5th I think it is?).

Love the Hot Dog Safari Idea... but, that's not til June.

So, we have January/February

March

April

to fill before our next confirmed meet.

I usually have a small get together Superbowl Sunday. I make home-made lasagna and, like the Christmas party, if you want it, you bring it.

I don't have a problem having back to back meets at my house...

I LOVE the idea, and am long over due, for a SW marathon as well. We could plan that for March...

Let's keep this momentum going. I think it's great!

23. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    It is the first Saturday in May (the 3rd this year), but post time isn't until 6:00 approximately. Last year I suggested people arrive at 3:00 so we could play around and grill. It will probably be the same thing this year. What time does your church meet?

Go ahead and start a new thread on it. It looks like we have (a) the excitement for it and (b) the technology available. We just need to nail down location and we're in!

24. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    It is the first Saturday in May (the 3rd this year), but post time isn't until 6:00 approximately. Last year I suggested people arrive at 3:00 so we could play around and grill. It will probably be the same thing this year. What time does your church meet?

Depending on what time his after party festivities end, perhaps we could come by. He is actually making 1st Communion on the 3rd at 10am. Then I am having a small luncheon for him afterward at the house with the family.

The rest of the day will be open!

25. Ryno

Ryno Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    You're more than welcome to use my comic shop for a meet anytime you'd like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.