main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Monthly meets...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by chewykingwookie, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Thank you for your offer Ryno! Please allow me to expand that to "Meet at a comic shop" Your shop does look intriguing, tho. Certainly a place to visit!

PinkYaddle offers a couple other ideas:
    - Cross-country or downhill skiing
    - Woodstock Fair outing (September)
    - Participate in a parade (must be in costume, though)

2. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I think the SW marathon would be cool. Might be hard to swing staying for the whole thing, but sounds like a great idea. I went to the Lord of the Rings marathon in Boston when the last movie came out, that was really cool. I'd be able to have some events here in Waltham, but not for a few months, at least.

Baron's would be cool, that was really nice to offer, it's just a major trek to get to W. Bridgewater, for me anyway, and right now my free time is at a premium (like everyone else).

If people were interested we could do the Indy marathon just before the new movie is released. Would be cool if a theatre played them all in one day like they did for LOTR, but if not, at someone's house. If we do that we should make sure the two marathon's are staggered far enough apart so it's feasible for people to attend both, I think Indy comes out in May of '08? I could be off.

I'm not going to be able to swing the party with the webcam, although if done right I can see it being a really cool idea. I'll be going back to work around that time, so I won't be venturing too far from Waltham.

Excited to see so many events being scheduled already, the more notice for me the better.

Frank

3. McLOVIN

McLOVIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    I definetley like the Indiana Jones marathon idea Frank.

I would like that a lot and the new movie is scheduled for May 2008 release.

4. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    At the end of May is the Walk for Life in Marlborough... I definitely think we should represent ourselves there.

It's for a great cause and would be fun to hang out for the day/night!

Want me to look into it?

Drew/Christa - Every year, there is a huge parade in Marlborough on Labor Day. The entrance fee is $100 and, as long as you pay the fee, you get in!

5. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Do we have enough costumed folks to do it?

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Not sure. I know Rosie and I have costumes. Does anyone else?

7. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    I suppose I could ask Justin if he wants in. Since he has multiple costumes, including stormtrooper armor, I may ask to borrow his "X-wing orange" pilot costume...I think I may be able to fit in it. :)

8. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    I have my Wife of Vader costume but, it's nothing movie related, just something I put together....

I never got any feedback on the Walk for Life in May.... is there any interest?

9. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    I probably wouldn't be able to do the Walk for Life in May, my mother has multiple sclerosis and I always support the MS Society by walking/volunteering for their events, which are April 12 and 13th for the Mass walks in 2008.

Not for everyone, but if there are people who appreciate craft beer/micro brews, I volunteer for Beeradvocate.com's festivals, which are three or four times each year, held at the Cyclorama on Tremont Street in Boston. Good time, great beer, and a mellow, laid back environment, no drunk college students, just people who enjoy good beer. If anyone's interested let me know. Tickets are kinda pricey, $40 or so, but if you volunteer you eat and drink for free. Might be a fun event if there's anyone in the group that's interested.

Might be too geeky, but people from work go someplace for paintball when it's warmer. I've yet to give it a try, but I might this year. I think it's somewhere off Route 24.

I definitely wouldn't be dressing up for the parade...the only three characters I could go as would be the Rancor Keeper, Jabba or Porkins and that doesn't interest me very much. No one likes a fat guy dressed up as a storm tropper, they usually just point and laugh :)

There's plenty of things we could do, we're so close to so many things, but it's funny how hard it is to come up with ideas.

10. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    We have some great ideas here folks! Here's what I've got:
    January ? Possible NorthEast Satellite meet (see separate thread)
    February ? Beeradvocate.com Festival
    March ?
    April ? Indiana Jones movie marathon (for May release of Indy 4)
    May ? Kentucky Derby or Walk for Life
    June ? Hot Dog Safari
    July ? My birthday is the 23rd? I?ll give you a lists of presents later.
    August ?
    September ? Marlborough parade
    October ?
    November ? SW Marathon
    December ? Holiday party redux

May seems to be a contested month! We've got Indy 4 coming out that month as well, but I put the "marathon" in April so that it wouldn't conflict. Honestly, I would prefer to have you folks over for the Derby, but nothing says we couldn't do both.

I put the SW marathon in November. It's just cold enough that we don't necessarily want to do an outdoor event but not a lot of chance of snow. Since it's far enough out we don't need to get specifics, just ideas.

How's things look?

11. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    DarthIshyZ, you may want to strike the SW marathon in November...November is always the Super MegaFest meet.

12. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Even better!

January ? Possible NorthEast Satellite meet (see separate thread)
    March ?
    May ? Kentucky Derby or Walk for Life
    June ? Hot Dog Safari
    August ?
    September ? Marlborough parade
    October ? SW Marathon
    November ? SuperMegaFest Meet
    December ? Holiday party redux

13. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    Hmmm...my birthday is July 14th...Anyone else with July birthdays? Seems like a good enough excuse for a get together to me!

14. rpvee

rpvee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 23, 2007
    Those sound nice, though I, of course, wouldn't be able to attend February's meet! lol

15. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    That is a good list there Drew. Damn it looks like we could do monthly meets again. lol

From what I have been seeing the Jan holiday party thing may be a bust if people are interested in helping removing wall paper and painting my new house could be used for a meet say the middle of Jan. lol j/k

16. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Yeah, the January meet is kaput. We only got 3 'yes' votes and no interest from the NH and CT boards. Plus the Pats will be playing that Saturday night, so I'd be out anyway.

17. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005
    For the meets that are out of someone's house (and even those that are - Kentucky Derby, etc) can we add dates to that list... that way no-one can say, I didn't know when it was going to be?

I haven't decided on a Superbowl Party just yet. I may let someone else do it this year. I'll keep you posted on that! :)

Happy New Year everyone. This list looks like a great start to 2008 ... I really hope we can keep the momentum going!

PS - Roseanna - anytime you need a ride from the train station, just let me know. It was no trouble at all!

18. WifeofVader

Sep 22, 2005

I'm back - already... LOL

Ok so, the January sat meeting is out... what shall we do instead? Anyone interested in getting together for playoff games (besides you, Mike - you'll be there!)???

I don't mind hosting the holiday party again in December... and I will try to dig up some information about the Marlborough Labor Day Parade for you guys as well.

If I can, I've revised the list a bit...

January ? AFC/NFC Championship games (??)
    March ?
    May 3rd ? Kentucky Derby
    June ? Hot Dog Safari
    August ?
    September 1st ? Marlborough parade & BBQ to follow (??)
    October ?
    November ? SuperMegaFest
    December (TBD based on Nutcracker performance) ? Holiday party redux

Let me know your thoughts!

19. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Frank, would you be willing to host the Indy Marathon? For meets that are time intensive, we should proabably start making plans early. Dates, times, etc. For six hours of movies, we should probably get together around the 3:00 range and ask people to bring pot-luck. Also a new thread should be started to plan.

20. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    I just had a thought about November. Election day! This would be a Democrat-friendly event. You'd just have to meet Christa to know that. What would you folks think of getting together to watch election returns? Perhaps not an "official" meet, but we'll probably be watching anyway.

21. chewykingwookie

chewykingwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I am always down to watch a playoff game. A few yrs ago Chris, DW, and I watched a couple together. Depending on how things are going with the house I may be up for watching the games some where. Hell I may need a break from moving. lol

22. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    I'll have to pass on the election return event, you lost me at "deomocrat-friendly" :)

23. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Aug 5, 2004
    I can host the Indy marathon, I'll start looking at dates and see what we can do. Looking forward to it!

24. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, I suppose you could come, but you'd be like a Yankees fan at a Red Sox World Series game.

25. McLOVIN

McLOVIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2007
    I would be up for meeting up for a Patriots playoff game in January.

Docs in Milford is a great restaruant/sports bar and is fine for the under 21 crowd too.

The prices of the food are reasonable and the food is pretty good.

It is a sizeable place.

We could watch the game at someone's house also

Just some option..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.