Monthly Podcast

Discussion in 'Bloomington, IN' started by Jedi_Narf, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    Check out the new podcast on our website (go to the site and click the Podcast link on the left hand side). You can either listen to it straight from the site or click on the Subscribe link to subscribe to the podcast in iTunes. As far as I can tell we aren't listed in the store yet, but it should only be a matter of time.

A quick note to everybody, there were some cuts that were made for various reasons, but I wanted to mention that I had to cut out a sizeable section due to the fact someone was playing copyrighted music in the background (I think from a DVD), music that is instantly recognizable as copyrighted material. As I wish to stay completly legal with this podcast and not be sued, that whole section had to be cut. In the future if you bring a device that can output sound please note that I will have to immediately cut any section that contains copyrighted material, so if you would please refrain from playing copyrighted content while the podcast is recording. :)

Later!

T.
  2. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    ITS UP ITS UP!!
    Cool
    This is great Tim!
    One thing we must do is shut the doors to the room,you can hear the gamers in the hall as good as us.
  3. Bodknocks Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ahh, nice save with the music thing. I'll have to investigate what can and can't be used under fair use. Since we're not releasing these for profit, we *should* be able to get away with more, but I know from one of my classes right now (where we're facing a similar problem) that we still wouldn't be able to use the music without licensing it first. Good catch, and I'll check out the podcast after work. [face_peace]
  4. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I listened and I liked the podcast. Actually, it was a nice length. Not too long, not too short. :cool:

I bet that was my audio. It was on a DVD.

No need to cut anything, it actually falls under fair use. Use this form if you ever have any questions.

Specifically, the subject of our meetings (and specifically the audio) are nonprofit and for comment, is used in a small quantity, and was legally acquired from the copyright holder.

5. MusicTrooper Force Ghost

star 4
    ref Fair Use, I'm with HoosierTrooper on this one.

I only had one law class, but it did cover "Fair Use",

GREAT FORM:)

also, think of all the copyright material used on many other web sites,
    such as YouTube.....

but, also good to err on the side of caution til you learn more,
    but worst case that I can think of if things got out of hand in the future,
    would be a C-and-D request
  6. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Agreed. As soon as we say "They'll never come after us", Tim will have some guys in suits at his front door. [face_beatup]

7. tainted_crimson Jedi Knight

star 2
    We weren't commenting ON the music though, so would it still count? In journalism, you're only allowed to use copyrighted material in small quantities if it is to review/comment on that specific material, like with photos from a movie press kit in a review for said movie.
  8. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    Well, from what I know from being on the board for Monroe County Civic Theater (another local non-profit organization) and being the producer for several shows, we have determined that it is OK to show copyrighted work at a event (i.e. we can play whatever music we want in the background) but it definitely is not OK to record and distribute that work without first getting permission from the copyright owner. Otherwise what would keep a non-profit from re-recording an album a thousand times and handing it out for free or posting it on their website? I know I for one would not feel comfortable offering the complete Star Wars soundtrack on our website in downloadable MP3 format, even if it isn't for profit and we said we put it up there to debate the merits of composer. :)

I think the thing to really note here is that we are publishing the podcast to the world at large and not to a small internal audience (though we may doubt that many will actually sign up for our podcast, the truth is a million people could, and to the law that's all that matters). If we were recording something for internal release/debate/whatever I think that would fall under fair play, but a podcast is for general release/consumption.

The trick there, though, is that for movies and such there are usually as you say "press kits" released. These kits have been released to the general populace by the copyright owner and general permission is usually granted to the press and reviewers to post content from said kit.

The thing about the stuff on YouTube, though, is that a lot of the stuff posted is illegal. YouTube just has a hard time keeping up with all the stuff posted. This was taken off of YouTube's legal/user policy:

"You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and/or warrant that: (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize YouTube to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service; and (ii) you have the written consent, release, and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the User Submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service."

Unfortunately on sites like that, people simply post things too fast for the company hosting the content to keep up, but when a copyright violation is brought to their attention the content does get removed.

One last thing, if I recall correctly from dealing with MCCT's forms to the state and federal government, doesn't a organization have to file with the state and feds as a non-profit and receive a tax ID if they wish to utilize benefits given to non-profit organizations? Eric or somebody would have to comment on this one, since I don't know if the HA (or our parent organization) is actually registered as a non-profit organization. If we aren't registered, our meetings would be considered a private gathering of friends and all recordings and stuff thereof would no
  9. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Its not that we are nonprofit (that would require 501c and all that), but that what we are doing is not for a profit. Truth be told, there is no such thing as the "Hoosier Alliance" as far as the law is concerned. Whatever we do here, we do as individuals. Thats why the Lucas attorneys would come after you... [evil laugh] ha ha ha [/evil laugh] [face_skull] ;)
  10. tainted_crimson Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, non-press kit stuff can also be used, such as material from websites, but it is all still copyrighted and an ownership disclaimer is given in the form of a copyright listing. Also, things like song lyrics are used in CD reviews, with copyright listed.

I think that if we were ever to do an actual review of something, that we would be able to use sound clips of music, dialogue, sound effects, etc, under the conditions that we note the copyright, and it is used in a review fashion only.

One thing I wonder about... On the podcast MuggleCast, from MuggleNet.com (Harry Potter site), they use a rock guitar version of the HP theme as their opening/closing music. I assume it's a fan creation. Just makes me wonder about the copyright laws and how they pertain to that sort of thing. In case we have any musicians in the group who would want to create a Hooser Alliance theme. The idea makes me giggle.
  11. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    I think that sounds correct, and duly noted for future use. :)

Aye, that's what I thought. That's why I think I'm probably going to continue to err on the side of caution unless it is clear cut that we can use copyrighted material. Last thing I want is to open my door one day and have Jabba's representative there looking to put me in carbonite. :)
  12. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    BTW, I have a question to anybody who listened to the podcast, both the people who were at the meeting and those that weren't: could you tell where I edited content or was it pretty smooth?
  13. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I could not tell where the edit marks were BUT I CANT believe you took out the Cole rant on the IU bus authority! LOL
    We need Cole to sit a lot closer to the Mac so his voice picks up better.Im often told he is so funny and I agree. Over all a top notch job on the hole process Tim!!
  14. tainted_crimson Jedi Knight

star 2
    I could tell where it was only because of the content of what was being said. The actual edit was pretty much smooth.

Hey Tim, are you interested in putting up a transcript of the podcast? Lemme know if you are, and I can try my hand at it.
  15. HoosierTrooper Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I didn't notice until the very last edit and the closing. Until you said some stuff in the middle was in out, I had no idea. :)
  16. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    Hmm, a transcript? I don't think one is necesary, but hey, if you feel the inclination I'm totally willing to put one up. :)
  17. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    March's Podcast is up!
  18. echo-3 Former RSA

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    Is there a way to listion to it with out itunes?
    I went to the HA website and it wont play from there.
  19. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes. Since the file is an AAC file, you just have to have a compatible player installed like Quicktime or VLC. I'm guessing since you just re-built your computer you hadn't gotten around to re-installing Quicktime yet, since I know you were able to listen to it last month. :)
  20. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    The April meeting's podcast is now up! We are pretty good about most things now, but we will still need to watch out for one thing (and I'm guilty of this too): side conversations. Whispered comments to one another don't really get picked up, but when there are side conversations going on the whole recording is muddied up and I have to cut that section out because you can't really make out what's going on. Just something we'll need to watch out for in the future.

Later,

T.
  21. tainted_crimson Jedi Knight

star 2
    Guess that means I need to figure out how to correctly convert things, since I'll be listening to these things over the summer to keep me sane.
  22. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2

You know, since this isn't the first time that I've heard people might have trouble with the AAC format, if people would like I can do one of two things. I can either look into posting the podcast file as MP3 or I can convert/upload a copy of the podcast in MP3 so that people can download it.

Is this something people want?

T.
  23. Bodknocks Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, everyone has iTunes, right? It's real easy to convert AAC to MP3 in using iTunes:

[image=http://x1c.xanga.com/c5ad51f077631119114371/m85640478.png]
    1. Open iTunes and go to File > Preferences

[image=http://x73.xanga.com/4efd57eb77130119114374/m85640480.png]
    2. Click Advanced, then choose the Importing tab. Here, you'll want to click the second drop-down box ("Import Using") and select "MP3 Encoder". Then click "OK".

[image=http://x41.xanga.com/2fbd5bf377130119114375/s85640481.png]
    Now make sure the AAC file is in iTunes. You can do this by simply dragging it into the iTunes library window. Right click (or control click for Mac users) on the file you want to convert, and select "Convert File to MP3". In a matter of seconds, and new MP3 file will appear below it. Voila! You've just converted an AAC file to MP3 in iTunes! [face_peace]
  24. tainted_crimson Jedi Knight

star 2
    iTunes = death.
  25. Jedi_Narf Jedi Master

star 2
    OK, I think I have a solution that should make everybody happy. I researched a few things and figured out a way to get the podcast published as a MP3 file instead of a AAC file, meaning now that any player that can play a MP3 file should be able to play the podcast straight from the website without the need for iTunes (you could also use other programs to subscribe to the podcast than iTunes now, too). I have re-submitted the most recent podcast episode as a MP3 file so that people can hear/test the new format, so if you have subscribed to the podcast you may notice a new download of the same meeting (but this one is a MP3).

Thanks,

T.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.