main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Moon Knight Recomendations

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've had a mild corner-of-my-eye curiosity in the Moon Knight character recently- can anyone suggest some really good Moon Knight trades? Also anything in the past decade that's delved into his origins outside of reprints of classic material?

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Just start with the new sequence by Charlie Huston and then Mike Benson:

Vol 1: The Bottom
    Vol 2: Midnight Sun
    Vol 3: God and Country

are all in TPB form by now, I think.

If you like, I think there are also some Essentials reprinting his earliest stories.

3. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    I may check those out. I saw the Moon Knight in Marvel: UA and he caught my eye as well.

4. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I haven't read any of it, but finch art on the first volume and maybe the second volume. It will at least look nice.

5. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Isn't there a new run starting titled "The Death of Marc Spector" where the Thunderbolts are sent after him? Never really knew much about the character, but he seems interesting. Might start picking up some stuff on him.

6. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Yes, there is, and my god has the send-the-new-thunderbolts-after-him story gotten annoying very quickly or what?

7. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999

I have read some of the new Moon Knight series, but I really prefer the old '80's comics of the character, specifically with the art by Bill S. - I this the stories/artwork in those original comics is superior to the newer comics.
    Hopefully at some point they're will reprint all of these classic MK comics in color, on high quality paper (so far, these comics have only been reprinted in the Essential format, which is b&w).

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Blur, I have a few issues of the Bill Sienkiewicz Moon Knight, and they are very good (the one that really sticks in my mind is him faceing off against Morpheus - surreal, and the art is gorgeous). I would worry about a colour reproduction with today's high quality paper and inks, though, as I have noticed that they often use the same colour templates without making allowances for the change in materials, which can make the reproductions horribly garish, and overwhelm the black and white underdrawing. Not pretty.

Back in the 80's Batman was boring, while Moon Knight was smart and kind of edgy.

9. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Glad to hear I wasn't the only one who liked these MK Bill Sienkiewicz comics back in the day. I don't have any of these left, but at one time had most of the series. I think I quit collecting these when Sienkiewicz left (issue #30?).
    What's also interesting is that "Moon Knight" was one of of the few Marvel comics that made the transition to direct market back in the early '80's, i.e. it (along with Ka-zar the Savage) was specifically shipped to comic specialty shops, and not to the regular newwstands (I know I'm dating myself, but at that time comic specialty shops were heaven to a kid like myself - I remember going in those places and not only did they have a great selection, but they would get comics sooner than the newsstands).

I agree, The Morpheus issue (issues?) were great - actually, the whole series was excellent, and the artwork was far superior to most other comics at the time (and even compared to comics of today). Specifically, I also liked Issue #1, the Werewolf Issues, etc.
    The comic was very unusual in that it was a wasn't a straight-up
    super-hero comic - it could probably be described as an action/thriller/horror comic, with some good social commentary thrown in. I don't think there's ever been another comic like this (nor will there be, probably).

I completely concur, I really liked the Moon Knight character much more than Batman.
    Unfortunately, "Moon Knight" is not as popular, and is therefore pretty much ignored these days (except for the new comic, which, in my opinion, is not nearly as good as the original).

I completely see what you're saying about the color reproductions, but, if done properly, I think they would look better than the originals. A good example of comic reprints that were done well were:

- The Marvel SW comics, that were reprinted in their entirety by DH in 2002-2003.
    - The "Chronicles of Conan" TPB's (reprints of the original Marvel series)- these also look good.

The MK b&W "Essentials" that are out are better than nothing, but don't do justice to the great color artwork that was in the originals.
    Hopefully, at some point we'll see good quality color reprints of these MK issues, but I'm not counting on it :)

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I have a few issues which Denys Cowan (iirc) penciled - it just was not the same.
    Living in England, where there were only a couple of comic shops in the entire country, I was lucky to pick up two consecutive issues of any American comic-book in a row. It was grim, and kind of random. Comic shops became common here in the late 80's, early 90's - just in time for me to see Marvel slide down-hill in a desperate grab for cash. Back in the 70's and 80's, I loved Marvel and looked down on D.C., like all right-thinking people. Kids today just wouldn't understand.:p

Bill Sienkiewicz's art is amazing, especially at that period in time, and really lifts the stories to a whole other plane. They're moody, gritty, and fast paced. I've just read Dark Spectre, where Moon Knight gets the crap beaten out of him and is on the ropes for most of the story, where you see the bad guy go from the depths of society to almost becoming mayor - and it's all done in the space of one (double-sized) issue. Today, that story arc would probably have taken an entire year.

Ironically, things like his glider-cape, wrist armour, and sharp throwing thingies have shown up in the modern Batman movies. Not to mention his psychological complexity, which figured prominently in his stories.
    The colouring was done very well on Moon Knight, and these stories do deserve a better quality reprint.

11. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    soitscometothis posted:

Bill Sienkiewicz's art is amazing, especially at that period in time, and really lifts the stories to a whole other plane. They're moody, gritty, and fast paced. I've just read Dark Spectre, where Moon Knight gets the crap beaten out of him and is on the ropes for most of the story, where you see the bad guy go from the depths of society to almost becoming mayor - and it's all done in the space of one (double-sized) issue. Today, that story arc would probably have taken an entire year.

I remember that particular double-sized issue. Excellent, as were all the Sienkiewicz-drawn issues of MK. As you said, these comics are very unique and I don't think I've seen/read anything quite like them before or since.

I recently heard that Marvel is reprinting an Omnibus of "Tales of Dracula", out later this year or early next year. This was a somewhat obscure title, and seeing this gives me renewed hope (possibly misplaced, I know) that at some point they may reprint these early issues of "Moon Knight".
    In a perfect world, they would release a MK Omnibus with the following issues:

- All of the Moon Knight appearances in the '70's "Hulk" Magazine (primarily drawn by B. Sien.)
    - MK Volume 1 #1-30 (this would cover all of the B. Sien.-drawn issues).

All of the above were reprinted in b&w in MK Essentials 1 and 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.