main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Moonlight Sonata (Obi/Qui one poster)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, Jun 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Thought I'd revist this one, have fun!

~*~Moonlight Sonata~*~

(Obi's POV)

My fingers brush the pearly white keys if the piano in the sitting room of the small apartment my Master and I share. Qui-Gon has gone out for a dinner with Tahl and some of his other friends, he tried to get me to come along but I refused. I didn't exactly tell him why, I may have said something about having too much homework.

It is Qui-Gon's birthday tomorrow and I want to do something special for him. Something different, something that I know he will appreciate, something that also happened to require a whole lot of work.

I have been taking piano with Lyra Faylien, a Master who teaches music to those interested. Master Lyra says I'm a promising student, but I'm not always at the Temple so most initiates are better players than I.

One day, when Master Lyra and I were discussing what I should get my Master for his birthday, she told me that nothing would make Qui-Gon happier than to hear me play Moonlight Sonata his favourite piece.

I know as well as anyone how fond my Master is of classical music, it's all he ever listens to, it's his stress relief. If he comes in tense and agitated, all it takes is one session with his music for him to be calm and serene again.

I have never told him I play the piano, I've been back in the Order for about a month and music has been the last thing on my mind. Besides, if I had told him it wouldn't be a surprise now would it?

Lyra lent me the sheet music with the promise that it would be challenging, and Force she was right. This is the singular, most challenging piece of music I have ever seen. If I had been taking lessons constantly for half my life, I may be able to pull this off without much effort.

But I will be able to pull this off, even if I should have to escape into Master Lyra's study in the early hours of the morning. This will be ready for tomorrow.

I enjoy practicing at night, the gentle moonlight shining it. And not to mention, the lights hurt my eyes when it starts to get dark. The minute Qui-Gon left, I had lit some candles, turned off the lights and opened the curtains. Now here I sit, at the piano, three hours later, still slaving over this thing. I can see why Qui-Gon likes this: you have to be committed to pull it off!

I shake out my fingers, hearing them crack. I stare at the moonlight shining across the music and the piano itself. I inhale and exhale deeply. Here we go again.

I position my hands on the keys again, careful where each finger is placed and already thinking about where they are going to go next. My left hand hits the chord while my right plays the melody, my foot hits the pedal allowing the sound to resonate through the room.

The moonlight continues to shine its pale glow as the candle flames flicker with each movement of my hands. I cease to think anymore. It?s like mediation.

Until my fingers hit the wrong keys, the melody dies and the chords seem to collapse themselves. I grit my teeth so tight I can hear them scrape against one another even in the dull echoes of what had once been a sonata. This is always the place where I mess up, so close to end but so far away. Just to spite the music, I play the last few bars again and punch out that last keys hard.

As the sound of the piano dies away, applause takes its place. I snap my head around. My eyes widen at the sight before me.

Qui-Gon Jinn steps out of the shadows, still applauding.

"Why didn't you tell me you could play?" he asks as he walks up to my side and places his hands on the keys, trying to play the melody.

A sense of guilt comes over me, I say nothing as I play the matching chords to the melody. I eventually mutter something about him not asking and music being the last thing on my mind.

I instinctively shove over on the bench to let him sit down, he does so and locks his gaze with mine. A small air of suspicion is in those midnight eyes.

"There is another reason you chose not to tell me." It?s a statement, not a question.

2. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh.. :_|

Incredibly beautiful, incredibly original.

I most enjoyed Qui-Gon telling his apprentice that the flawed performance was perfect, because it was he who performed it. :_| Just wonderful.

And the ending was truly heartbreaking.

Very creative. ;) Great job!

LE

3. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Ahh :_|
    Arwen-Jade_Kenobi you are a great writer. The piano :_|
    The death :_|
    play for me. :_|
    Touching story touching :_|

4. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    A beautifully original and heartrending piece. Wonderful job!

Obi

5. EVILSOAPBUBBLE

EVILSOAPBUBBLE Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2003
    Sad....beautifully written. :_|

6. JediKnickers

JediKnickers Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2003
    Ho-o-o-o-ly..You can imagine my surprise when my cousin started playing that same piece right outside the computer room while I was reading this!! Awesome job, Arwen-Jade_Kenobi!

7. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Beautiful Arwen :) Very touching. And I love this piece of music. It's a very haunting piece but it's still full of beauty. Nicely written :)

8. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    I remember the first time I read this, that it really touched me. Its no different this time. This fic can always bring me on the brink of tears. Its beautiful the way you wrote it. Three thumbs up for you. (I'm holding Obi hostage- that's how you get three thumbs. :D)

9. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Arwen that was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I have read in so very long. Simply gorgeous....

(and it helped that I was listening to Moonlight Sonata whilst reading it!)

Fantastic job!

-sheleigh

10. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Hauntingly, touchingly beautiful, Arwen. I can't imagine a better expression of the feeling that existed between the two of them.

Lovely.

CYN

11. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    LuvEwan: thanks a lot. I was hoping that this hadn't been done before when I originally wrote it

Patty: [face_blush] thanks. Glad u enjoyed it.

Obi: thanks to you as well!

evil: thanks

Jedi: Whoa, freaky. I probably would have gone crazy. Thanks for reading

Ginger: Nice to see you back here again. Ditto on all u said about the piece.

Jess: Nice to see u again as well. Ah, when did this hostage taking occur?

sheleigh: [face_blush] Thanks a bunch

cynical: [face_blush] Thanks. hearing that from you has made my day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.