MOORE WON! MOORE WON!

Discussion in 'Canada General' started by Ian_Ball, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    CANT BELIEVE HE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HIGH CLASS ALL THE WAY!
    AMAZING SPEECH!
  2. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Too bad I missed the speech. He's a good filmmaker.
  3. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    EMINEM WON TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Bless you oscar for making my night
  4. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    That was a good speach. He brought all the other nominees up onto the stage with him and began to talk about how they are documentry makers because they like non-fiction, but that it is hard for them because we live in fictitious times.

"We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man who's sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts. We are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you,"

Asked backstage why he made the remarks, Moore answered: "I'm an American."

"Is that all?" a reporter asked.

"Oh, that's a lot," Moore responded.

--

Bravo to Mike for standing up for what America is supposed to be... a free country. Everyone else is too afraid to say what they felt - for or against the war. You at least have the courage to exercise your rights. Bravo.

5. atomik Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't watch it but I heard he was booed and afterwards Steve Martin made some crack about Moore being drunk? [face_laugh]
  6. Yebbed-Crage Jedi Master

star 4
    You may praise him for what he was saying, but it was the wrong time to be voicing those opinions. It was the Oscars, and a time to enjoy something other than watching the war!

7. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    He got 45 seconds to say what he wanted...you forget that america prides itself on free speech. Anyone that disagrees is a comunist. lol. seriously.
  8. E_Greyshadow Jedi Knight

star 2
    Actually, Martin said that the teamsters were now helping Moore into the trunk of his limo. Kinda funny, actually.
  9. atomik Jedi Master

star 4
    "...free speech. Anyone that disagrees is a comunist. lol. seriously."

I agree 100%.
    This Moore guy sounds like a real nut-job. lol. seriously
  10. TragicLad Jedi Master

star 4
    In another thread, someone posted that Moore's film is a fraud. They say, "he outright lies by stating that he was able to walk into a bank and come out with a free rifle in about an hour. Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. That would be against the law for the bank. The law in the US requires a waiting period. I'm also fairly certain he would have been required to, at a minimum, place a minimum amount in the account or open a CD. He clearly edited the movie together in a falsified manner."

Check your facts.
    US Federal Law only requires a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). These, in most cases, are instantaneous. Michigan State Law requires no additional waiting period.

Moore opened an account at the bank in order to acquire the gun. Now normally, the bank would have you pick the weapon out of a catalogue, they'd have to order it and you'd need to pick it up at a local gun dealership that the bank has an agreement with. For Moore, they ordered the gun in advance so he could walk out of the bank with the gun.

Why? Not to bamboozle you. Not to hoodwink the gullible film-watching public. No. It was done because film is a visual medium. You get your point across in film not by talking but by showing. In this case, showing is handled by walking out of the bank with the weapon you've been given in lieu of a toaster.

Moore states on his website:
    "I put $1,000 in a long-term account, they did the background check, and, within an hour, walked out with my new Weatherby-just as you see it in the film. (I did have a choice of getting a pair of golf clubs or a grandfather clock, but they didn?t have either of those hanging on the wall like they did those three rifles). I learned about the bank?s gun offer from an ad in the local paper that showed a gun across the top with the heading, " More Bang for Your Buck" from North Country Bank. I still have the account and the gun to this day"

Regardless of the staging - the actual facts remain unchanged:
    There is a bank that gives you a free rifle if you open an account. Instruments of death are being given as an incentive for opening up a savings account.
  11. Ian_Ball Jedi Master

star 4
    haazaa for TragicLad.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.