"More American Graffiti" - interesting and worth seeing

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Blur, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blur Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey - I looked for a thread on "More American Graffiti" (1978) and couldn't find one, so I started this. I was lucky enough to finally see the film earlier this week (for the first time) on Widescreen DVD, after having wanted to see it for years.

The movie is definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of the first AG, but it's not nearly as good as the first film.

Some thoughts (Spoilers below):

* Overall, I think this movie probably worked a lot better on the big screen. The split-screen sequences were distracting instead of effective, but I may have been less distracted if I had seen this in the theatre.

* The Vietnam sequences were interesting, and kind of reminded me of the later "Apocalypse Now", especially the scenes with the helicopters flying over the sound of rock music.
    The battle scene when Toad and the other soldier were fighting enemy soldiers (after their helicopter crashed) was very tense, even though you couldn't see the enemy.

* I think the Vietnam scenes would have been more effective if they had been filmed so that they took up the whole movie screen, instead of just the block in the middle (obviously they were going for a documentary-style effect).

* Great soundtrack of mid/late '60's rock/folk music.

* The student protest sequences and the hippie/rock band sequences gave you a good picture of the turmoil/social change that the U.S. was going through in the mid/late 1960's.

* The Vietnam scene at the base when the off. and congr. got covered in **** (after cutting the cake) was hilarious.

* I was surprised that Toad was alive at the end of the film, considering the short blurb we saw at the end of AG (even though who knows if he survived the jungle). Obviously he couldn't go back to the U.S. or his family without getting into trouble, since he faked his own death.

* The out-of-order sequence of the various events was unusual in films at the time MAG came out, though it's commonplace in many movies today.

* The John Milner race car sequences were great, and I think it was effective that his death (in the car crash) was not shown, but just explained in the text at the end (much like what we saw at the end of the first AG).

2. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    For me, what makes this worth seeing is the rather experimental quality of the editing (alternating by time eras in the strict pattern), rather than the story itself. Lucas' hand was forced to make the sequel, so he decided he'd get something out of it by making it a playground to try something new and daring, particularly for its time, and particularly for a sequel to a mainstream 'fun' movie.

I would never recommend it to people looking for just a fun movie to watch, but to people interested in Lucas' philosophies and development as a filmmaker outside Star Wars and Indy, absolutely.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  3. WEEBACCA Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, it's definatly an interesting movie to watch, especially for those who are fans of Lucas (most of the Vietnam segment was shot and directed by Lucas himself if I remember correctly).
    I'm especially fond of the Milner story and the Vietnam story. :)
  4. SweiitConcorkill Jedi Youngling

star 3
    The Vietnam sequences will give you an idea of what that other Vietnam movie he was supposed to direct would have looked like.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.