main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More evidence of media bias against Star Wars and George Lucas?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    This from Entertainment Weekly. GL #15 on EW power list:

"He may have made the industry's first-ever $300 million disappointment (Star Wars: Episode II), but he's still a Force. His warning that III will be the series' darkest and least crowd-pleasing may be bad news for a franchise already slightly on the wane. The real phantom menace is the sluggish economy's drag on the digital-effects industry. His Industrial Light & Magic shut its commercial division due to dipping ad sales. But ILM's new digital feature division (now circling Universal's Curious George) could make it another Pixar. Talk of Indiana Jones IV has whipped fans into a frenzy"

Less than glowing praise I'm afraid. Obviously more evidence of the media bias against SW and GL.

2. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    for a franchise already slightly on the wane

Already? Already?!?! It started in 1977 for crying out loud. 25 years later the fifth film of the series grosses over 300 Million, so its already on the wane? What do they expect, idiots. Nothing can keep going forever. They said Episode 2 was the first 300 Million dissapointment, did they forget TPM there because that made more than 300 Million and they hate that.

3. flyingseal

flyingseal Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2002
    Oh well :p...
    I don't really care what the media says, Star wars isn't made to please the media...

4. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Entertainment Weekly is so out of touch with the average viewer. Pathetic. [face_plain]

5. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    I am sick of EW. $302m DISAPPOINTMENT!?!?! But Scoobby-Doo which I watch last night is a HIT according to EW? That movie blew chunks!!! Why do we hear only the negative about Lucas and SW? AOTC was great! The majority liked the movie. Why don't we hear from them? Maybe they are the better ones because they do not care about the negativity. Maybe I should start that alos and just enjoy the movies. FOTR and HP made around the same amount and they are not disappoinments. THe 5th movie in a six part series made $302m. How the hell is that a disappointment? WHat other franchise is doing that? NONE!!! Out of the ones that I read on that power list, it seems he was the only one they said anything negative about. Unless someone can tell me they said something bad about someone else. Like I said. I only read a few of those listed. So to me there does seem to be a bias against Lucas. Jealous I guess. Becuase he does not play the Hollywood game. Please. These people at EW are ever getting closer to losing my subsciption. AOTC $302m IS A HIT PEOPLE!!! WAKE UP!!! I would like to see them make 5 movies that all make over $300m!! Damn them!!!

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    These people at EW are ever getting closer to losing my subsciption.

Just wait until Episode 3 comes out. I think we can predict what there reaction will be towards the movie. [face_plain]

7. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    I actually think SW is a Media favorite.

They advertized it heavely on such shows as ET and the E channel.

Alot of magizines like Time had articles for TPM and AOTC when they were 3 or so weeks from coming out.

8. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    I love how EW so often bites the hand that feeds it.

How many people didn't know about nor cared to even look at EW before the prequels came about?

I never even looked at it until I saw Star Wars on the cover.

Bias., No wait, Extreme Bias. Ridiculous Bias.

No there's no bias, none at all. Keep dreaming. I'd swear some of you guys work in the media by your defensive reactions to the media bias claim.

9. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "How many people didn't know about nor cared to even look at EW before the prequels came about?"

There were other movies(and other entertainment news) to cover before the prequels. Don't think EW blew up in popularity just cause of the PT'S.

EW will be around long after the PT'S ends. :)

Yes iam a fan of EW long before the PT'S and the OT'S-SE. :D

10. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Great thread yodaschum! This is how they do it. Can someone send me the file for AOTC Yoda? I want to include him in a fan film I'm making.

11. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    EW will be around long after the PT'S ends.

Great. I'll try to stay as far away fro the industry brown-nose rags as much as possible.

You take EW and Rolling Stone and SPIN and Movieline and Fangoria and the rest of the "pretty pictures but poorly written" drivel and use it for toilet paper for all I care.

12. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    What I love the most about EW, and other movie-mags, is that they trash the movies once they're out, but they pimp them so big-time before they come out. It's like, "We know we're gonna trash this film! But there are so many fans out there we'll make twice as much money selling their image on our covers!" It's so frickin' hipocritical it makes me sick! Talk about not having standards. If I had no faith in something that was popular I wouldn't use that popularity just to make a buck.

Guess I'm not Darth Capitilist ...

D.M.

13. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I hate it when they try to give a movie a bad name. Had AOTC made only $100, then yes, it would be a dissapointment according to the other films. But it made $300 million dollars domestically, and over $600 million worldwide. Not many films have doen that, and further more, they make it sound as if nobody who saw it enjoyed it.

But I don't get it. EW hasn't had one thing positive to say about SW recently. Even when they are referring to box office totals or special effects, they still try to bash it somehow.

14. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    "Entertainment Weekly is so out of touch with the average viewer."

Damn straight!

15. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    "He may have made the industry's first-ever $300 million disappointment..."

Shouldn't they be refering to LOTR and HP?

After all, the FIRST film in those very popular series 'only' grossed just over $300 million.

16. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Didn't EW have a magazine cover with Hayden and Natalie on the cover a little while ago? Yet a few much latter they take as many pot shots at Star Wars and GL as they can. What are they thinking? I can almost guarantee you that they will have another Star Wars cover for episode III and yet they will still hate the movie when it comes out.

Even when you'd think they were trying to *praise* GL, they do nothing but bash him and his 300 million dollar disappointment.

17. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    whats so incredibly funny is that the quote is pro-lucas! did you people even read the thing?

"but he's still a Force."

"The real phantom menace is the sluggish economy's drag on the digital-effects industry."

"But ILM's new digital feature division (now circling Universal's Curious George) could make it another Pixar."

"Talk of Indiana Jones IV has whipped fans into a frenzy"

why must some of you focus on the negative?

18. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001

Shouldn't they be refering to LOTR and HP?

After all, the FIRST film in those very popular series 'only' grossed just over $300 million

Excellent point, but EW and other media sources will continue to cheer those films as box-office smashes(which, of course, they were). Meanwhile, AOTC makes a tad less than them(the difference in their grosses isn't even a good opening weekend for a film)and it will be perceived as a "disappointment". What will be said of HP and TTT if they make less than 300 million(which is very possible, IMHO probable).

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I agree. $300 million isn't nothing to laugh at. That's a good take, despite the heavy competition from Spider-Man. Hell, Lucas already said he expects that one to make the least money. And at the moment, I see no major film to go against it. The OT made so much money because of the time it was released. Not everyone owned VCR's, much less were able to rent them. They didn't want to wait for the network premire, thus the repeat business.

And you are correct in saying that five films in a series, all grossing over $300 million, is pretty impressive. None of the franchise films have done that consitantly. They only promote it in their magazine, to reap the sales increase.

20. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Dr.E, only you would find an article claiming the "industry's first-ever $300 million disappointment (Star Wars: Episode II)" and "a franchise already slightly on the wane" as being pro-Lucas.

All the *positive* remarks EW made have nothing to do with Star Wars.

21. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "Shouldn't they be refering to LOTR and HP?

After all, the FIRST film in those very popular series 'only' grossed just over $300 million."

lotr and Hp were not disapointing to critics or EW(the movies or their boxoffice when compared to aotc). :D

22. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I think EW is a little like me. They want to see a good SW movie but they refuse to pretend that AOTC was on par with the originals.

23. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    "Strong am I with the Force...but not that strong."

24. sdj

sdj Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    302 million dollar failure? What does that mean? That's ticket sales alone btw not including merchandising.

I would love for a failure like that.

It is odd how movies that make not even half that much are considered very successful by the same people saying this was a failure.

25. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Sdj,I think they mean it made money but it wasn't all that great a movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.