main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More evidence of media bias against Star Wars and George Lucas?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    But fake evidence should be able to debunk a fake media bias. Shouldn't it?

2. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    "He may have made the industry's first-ever $300 million disappointment (Star Wars: Episode II), but he's still a Force. His warning that III will be the series' darkest and least crowd-pleasing may be bad news for a franchise already slightly on the wane. The real phantom menace is the sluggish economy's drag on the digital-effects industry. His Industrial Light & Magic shut its commercial division due to dipping ad sales. But ILM's new digital feature division (now circling Universal's Curious George) could make it another Pixar. Talk of Indiana Jones IV has whipped fans into a frenzy"

AOTC is a disappoinment when compared to TPM. The fact that it got beaten by Spiderman in the boxoffice is just extra news for the media to piss on.

3. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Entertainment Weekly is the biggest piece of trash I've had the displeasure of reading. They do nothing but force their opinion of what the "biggest" thing in Hollywood is; then turn their backs the moment the "next big thing" shows up.

Who else finds it insulting that they release 2 different covers featuring AOTC...then do nothing but BASH AOTC (while promoting a competition with "Spider-Man")

4. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    I can't wait for their Matrix Reloaded & Matrix Revolution articles come May & Oct 2003. :D

and since EW is owned by AOL/TIMEWARNER who also owns the Matrix sequels, iam sure EW will be biased towards the sequels in a good way. :D

5. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    See, the media bias goes even further than you could think Smauldookie. It's rather dispicable how much clout the media has over movies. Of course, I don't think Rupert Murdoch (Owner of Fox) or George Lucas are very much liked by the media. And oh yeah, I really liked AOTC and think its the best one of the saga since ESB. I'm excited too for the Matrix sequels, but knowing that my money goes to AOLTW is just a consequence.

6. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    But Ruppert Murdoch is the most powerful media baron in the world.

7. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    There is so much "evidence" in this thread...I'm convinced! There IS a world-wide conspiracy against multi-millionare movie-tie-in mogul Lucas! Someone call Amensety International! Help! Help! He's being repressed!

[face_plain]

8. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Or for that matter, does Lucas even care?

9. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    Nope. So niether should we. All press is good press.

10. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    LOL ferel! You sure we don't need to convene a meeting of the UN Security Council to deal with this new threat, the Axis of Evil Media?

[face_laugh]

11. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    All press is good press
    I never agreed with that mentality. I think the resentment of the media and Hollywood towards the success of GL is a sad indicator that we (as a society) like to build people up...just to watch as we knock them down.

12. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Anybody wonder if Lucas's VOICE is what drives the media so crazy? I know it bugs the hell out of me. Small nitpick.

13. 2HereKnowsWhen

2HereKnowsWhen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2002
    All press is good press

R. Kelly disagrees with you.

14. Rebel Scumb

Feb 22, 1999
    You never know, look at OJ.

And I don't think we built GL up, or tore him down, I don't think the media figures into it.

And for the record, critics have nothing to do with articles in the same publications.

If EW promotes the movie, then one of their critics dislikes it, its not like they're the editor and can stop the promotion, and in the end the media is the public who choose to buy and read this stuff, and ultimately decide what to believe.

EW, or Premiere or ET or any of them don't act any differently then oridnary people, I was hyped to see AOTC, by all accounts it looked good, and when I did see it, I didn't like it. This happens all the time, sometimes you get excited for a movie and it jsut doesn't deliver.

15. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    To me, the original quote of the thread spells out the media bias perfectly.

Painting AOTC as a letdown when it made $300 is ridiculous.
    They ONLY do that to SW.

That's the heart of the bias right there. Simple as that.

16. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    A couple of people did make the point that GL is apparently unruffled by the supposed bad press. If it doesn't bother him, then I really don't see why we should winge on about it...

17. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    All press is good press

R. Kelly disagrees with you.

Had Wal-Mart and the other ultra-conservative retail outlets not pulled his CD's off the shelves, I'd be willing to bet the sales would have increased at least in the short term due to the curiosity factor.

All press is good press, unless the religious right deems themselves worthy of deciding someone's fate as they attempt to do so often.

Look at the Opie and Anthony situation. Two radio DJ's from New York, Nationally syndicated with the highest ratings, 10 million listeners, in their time slot decide to pull a cheap stunt involving sex in public places for a Samual Adams Beer promotion. The contest involved couples running around NY in a sex in public places scavenger hunt for points to win a trip to the Sam Adams Brewery in Boston for a 3 day VH-1 party.

Two of the "contestants" get the stupid idea to try to get points for boffing inside St. Patrick's Cathedral, which is not only a landmark, but a huge tourist attraction. Incidentally, it's the only Catholic Church I've ever seen with a gift shop, weird. Anyway, they get caught by the rent-a-cop working there who calls the NYPD and they go to jail for the night on a MISDEMEANOR. A week later the two DJ's get fired because of complaints by the "Catholic League" which isn't even a religious delegation but a lobbying body.

The couple got caught and they should suffer the consequences of their own actions. No one forced them into St. Pats. But why do the DJ's lose their jobs? Because some whacked religious zealot greased the palms of some media whores to run a campaign against them to further their cause and ask for donations to help with future censorship efforts. The media CANNOT be trusted.

18. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Come on now Tokyo,that's hitting below the belt. 8-}

19. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

I thought I'd seen everything on these boards until Tokyo Extreme took a swipe at Lucas's VOICE. (rolls eyes)

Like he can help that.
    It's never bothered
    me.

Of course, it's always fun to say tacky things about public figures when you're hiding behind a cloak of anonymity.

20. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    "Two radio DJ's from New York, Nationally syndicated with the highest ratings, 10 million listeners, in their time slot decide to pull a cheap stunt involving sex in public places for a Samual Adams Beer promotion. ... A week later the two DJ's get fired ... But why do the DJ's lose their jobs? "

Maybe because they are public figures who encouraged their listeners to engage in illegal behavior as part of a radio sponsored contest? Sex in public places is ILLEGAL and the DJs were both irresponsible and foolish to promote it. There are enough morons in the world engaging in idiotic behavior...we don't need to encourage them.

Says a lot about humanity in general that the kind of people who would encourage such irresponsible behavior also have some of the highest ratings and 10 millions listeners....

*sigh*

21. Darth_groucho

Darth_groucho Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    I really like seeing GL being interviewed, he always seems very relaxed and calm. I have no problem with his voice.

edit: Tokyo, that was a really lame nitpick.

22. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I think the real question here is, should sex be allowed in public?

I think it depends on who is involved. [face_laugh]

23. Palo_Bianco

Palo_Bianco Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    I am involved. All day, everyday. And you're all jealous, thats why there is a media bias.

Even George P. Lucas knows what I'm saying to you.

24. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    Maybe because they are public figures who encouraged their listeners to engage in illegal behavior as part of a radio sponsored contest? Sex in public places is ILLEGAL and the DJs were both irresponsible and foolish to promote it. There are enough morons in the world engaging in idiotic behavior...we don't need to encourage them.

Says a lot about humanity in general that the kind of people who would encourage such irresponsible behavior also have some of the highest ratings and 10 millions listeners....

*sigh*

Like I said don't try to push your Moral Superiority on me. Sex in public places is a misdemeanor. Where's your sense of adventure? It's not like they're encouraging them to steal cars or rob people. Who really gets hurt? It' a victimless offense, I won't even call it a crime. Get over yourself and go get some.

The scarier fact is that a movie which shows beheadings can get a PG rating but if you show 10 seconds of a woman's backside in a poorly lit room it gets an R. This country's morality is so negligible it isn't funny.

There are enough morons in the world engaging in idiotic behavior...we don't need to encourage them.

Maybe someone ought to tell that to the priests of said catholic church who will get all riled up about this couple fooling around in St. Pat's but ALWAYS sweep their own sexual miconduct (child rape is a felony, by the way) under the rug.

25. Palo_Bianco

Palo_Bianco Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    You are right Only_2, we should have lots of sex, sex is love and love is good. We should try to move the love all over. Not trying to be dirty but its true, everyone should make love to everybody. boys, girls, everybody, Only_2 is smart you should listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.