main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More F/X test-y stuff - or such... comments

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MasterZap, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    It's used "directly" but the processing is done in my plugins... so you use the sphere image, drop it in a bitmap texture, drop the bitmap texture into my plugin texture, which does the re-mapping of coordinates from "3D space" to the "2D space on an image of a sphere" and goes from there.

So yes, it's used directly, and no, you do not somehow first "process" the sphere image in an external program to make a spherical map. If you want to do that (you can!) you can use HDRShop, which I think is free...

/Z

2. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    A great idea from chrome remapping man. Damn near genius.

But I'm tired of the frickin' terminator head thing. :p

3. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    It's used "directly" but the processing is done in my plugins... so you use the sphere image, drop it in a bitmap texture, drop the bitmap texture into my plugin texture, which does the re-mapping of coordinates from "3D space" to the "2D space on an image of a sphere" and goes from there.

So yes, it's used directly, and no, you do not somehow first "process" the sphere image in an external program to make a spherical map. If you want to do that (you can!) you can use HDRShop, which I think is free...

Very cool! This is something that can be done in Lightwave already, albeit a bit less automated. I'd really like to see the process stepped through. And of course, I've got more questions! The sphere is just a guide isn't it? You're using the actual image to light the model? Does it work the same with non-fixed cameras? Would using a higher resolution still shot on a fixed scene improve the quality of the lighting (not that it doesn't look great already!)?

Anyway, could we see some screenshots of your plugins in action?

-tm

EDIT: One more question: Does 3d Max support rendering to HDRI? I ask because with the method you're using to light the scene, you could render in passes as close as you can and then adjust the HDRI images in your compositing program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.