main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More homages you would like to see in TCW?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by IG_2000, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    We've had a Magnificent Seven, Alien, Saving Private Ryan, and Godzilla homage episode.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I would find it amusing to have A Clockwork Orange episode where one of the villains is captured and brainwashed into being a good person. Maybe Cad Bane is strapped down and forced to watch horrible videos of Ewoks being brutally murdered [face_mischief]

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Ack! I don't want any of that sort of "homage". It's fine to draw inspiration from other works of fiction or history, but we really can't trust this show with "homages".

WHat I'd really like to see is a Red Baron storyline. PLEASE! It's just so perfect. An organic Separatist pilot, who's not necessarily evil, just on the other side of the war, who rivals Anakin for supremacy in the space battles. I want to see that so bad....

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    No more bloody homages. I got sick of them by the time Bounty Hunters came out.

4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Better question would propably be "What kind of different genres you'd like to see inserted in TCW?" The show has been very good at having different genres (horror, film noir, different kinds of politics, detective stories) and still having the Star Wars feel.
    Yes, Red Baron, please.

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I don't know what I want but I don't want to see "1138" ever mentioned again. It's just completely worn out at this point.

6. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Red Baron is a perfect storyline for a Star Wars story. IIRC I think they did something similar with the final arc of the Clone Wars comic book last year.

7. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Homages= Good

Ripoffs= Bad

The "homages" in Season 2 were ripoffs. :oops:

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    WHat I'd really like to see is a Red Baron storyline. PLEASE! It's just so perfect. An organic Separatist pilot, who's not necessarily evil, just on the other side of the war, who rivals Anakin for supremacy in the space battles. I want to see that so bad....
    O gods yes! A thousand times YES!

Also, I would like to see an episode based on Shadow over Innsmouth. Not like many have read that book anyway.

9. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    They were homages because they used things from other sources in order to pay tribute to them. It was also widely acknowledged that they were doing so. A rip-off would be to use someone else's material without paying that respect or cynically pretending that it was original.

Also I think they should do a Das Boot type episode that follows the crew of a Separatist ship. So you get to know the characters and hope that they'll survive. Then they finally make it back to base to a hero's welcome and a squad of Y-wings flies in and kills them all.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yes. You speak the truth. :p

No, I actually mean it, too. I was so sick of those homages last season. It was endless, and it did suggest the writers were lacking ideas.

11. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Gonna just get in here with my old quote: It's an homage or trope if you like it. It's a ripoff or cliche if you don't. There are lines, but ultimately we end up blurring or redrawing some of them. :p

12. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    No more of these overt homages! We've had more than enough. They were not interesting or clever, the practice is cliché. They imply that the writers are out of ideas, they detract from the star wars universe by taking the viewer out of the GFFA, they force characters to behave improperly or illogically to adhere to the homage story. These forced novelties (pun intended) are better suited to one of the cottage industry of comedy spoof shows of Star Wars, instead of becoming on-screen canon.

There's an infinite amount of potential unique stories to be told, a whole fantasy galaxy of exotic planets, species, technologies, romance and politics - why cheapen it by this tired, old, and lazy practice of homages, normally a last resort for series in their death throes? Star Wars itself is enough of an homage in its own right. Being influenced or giving a subtle nod here and there is one thing, but retelling well known tales by shoe-horning in Star Wars characters comes off as lazy filler. Such episodes are nowhere near as entertaining as the proper ones.

I'd rather watch an original episode where Jar Jar has to babysit Stinky and the "hilarious" hijinks that ensue, and not already know what will happen next, than have to sit through humorless clone troopers stumbling woodenly through a Hitchcock re-enactment, to the predictable result.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Well i didn't like Zillo beast- but bounty hunter's worked pretty well i think- that's may be because i haven't seen 7 samurai :D some more homages would be good but you've got good points why there shouldn't be too many of them... still i cannot agree with last statement- babysitting Jar Jar is too horrible combination- no homage can be worse... not even if we'll see archaeologist with hat and whip searching for a mystical chest on Korriban... Filoni is such an Indyfan i wouldn't be surprised... they have a model for ark already....:eek:

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    actually Magnificent Seven is "homage" or remake of Seven Samurai of Akira Kurosawa....

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That would be nice. We need more recurring Separatists. Hell, we need more multi-episode story arcs, period.

Though the "CIS Red Baron" has already been done...

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20091205125008/starwars/images/6/6a/SWTCW11.jpg]

16. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh, I know. That comic is one of the most excellent pieces of TCW fiction out there.

Still, not many people have read it, it would work better in motion anyway, and the themes could be repeated easy enough without copying.

Or just adapt it to the screen. I wouldn't mind.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd like an "Alien" homage with a civilian crew and a B1.

Yes, a B1. With a broken vocabulator, ideally.

First I'd like this show to demonstrate Anakin's supremacy as a fighter pilot. They can bring in potential rivals after they've established him as the "greatest star pilot in the galaxy". Since, y'know, at the minute all he seems to do is crash land and perform like any other Jedi in the air.

Plo Koon has a better track record, so far.

18. RX-27

RX-27 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 5, 2010
    I'd really like to see some battles based on well... Real Wars notable something like the Vietnam war.

19. Gratulor

Gratulor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2008
    An Indiana Jones homage would be cool, and by that I mean a story involving archeaologists. Would be a nice way to tie in something from the past, even if only back a few hundred years. Perhaps a long-lost treasure being hunted by the CIS, and the Jedi must contact an esteemed archeaologist/adventurer to help them find it.

20. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    Technically they've already done that, but only as a joke - Wat Tambor was trying to nick the Ark of the Covenant off Ryloth.

21. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    It would be fun to see Corellia Antilles.

Especially i she shot a dark jedi after him shows off his fancy lightsaber fighting style.

22. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    More homages you would like to see in TCW?

No, thanks.

23. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I'd really love to see them turn this into an arc. And why not? After all, it was written by Henry Gilroy and Steven Melching. In fact, there are quite a few, including many Genndy Tartakovsky styled comics I'd love to see turned into episodes, or at least use them as inspiration.

24. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    I would love to see, in a throwaway 2 second joke, a homage to Lady Gaga as "that pop singer Anakin really wishes Ahsoka would stop listening to and is that a meat dress HONESTLY".

I would be gleeful to see some influences from KOTOR/KOTOR2. I think there's an excellent opportunity to make all the KOTOR fans happy by leaving details about Revan's life very sketchy, blaming archaeological difficulties and records that have been lost over time. At least I'd be totally all about a storyline where perhaps Anakin/Ahsoka/Obi-Wan and Ventress/Savage/etc are racing to see who can recover Revan's lost mask.

The clones do make me pine for a GATTACA or Bladerunner reference, or another shoutout to classic sci-fi that has discussed similar issues about personhood.

Also, this would never happen, but a Monkey Island reference or two or three or five or fifteen would make me SO HAPPY. "Quick, look behind you! A three-headed monkey-lizard!"

25. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    To be fair, their original content hasn't been much better than their homages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.