main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit More Legacy EU Books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MartyAvidianus, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No one put a gun to Abrams's head and forced him to write a story about Luke going into hiding and Han dying before he can be reconciled with his family or even see Luke.

Though the whole point of the story isn't really Rey finding Luke Skywalker, in the sense that Luke is a total MacGuffin with no effect on the plot. You could actually have Luke sitting around the Resistance base and it would be the exact same movie, since Rey still wouldn't meet him until the end. They'd just need a MacGuffin that wasn't a map. Maybe the MacGuffin would be something about Starkiller Base and thereby it could have any connection to the plot of the film whatsoever.

But no, clearly it's George Lucas's fault that Abrams is a mediocre writer.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Havac you can disagree all you want with the direction Abrams chose to take TFA. However when he created characters that have quickly become as beloved as Rey, Finn, and Poe have. And created their very own journey for them that people have gotten invested in as they have then clearly Abrams isn't an average writer.

Just because you personally didn't see what you wanted to see does not downgrade Abrams storytelling abilities.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I prefer books over films because the films always shoot for the lowest common denominator. The books are targeted towards the dedicated fans while the movies are a lot simpler in many ways. The reason I liked Rogue One so much is because it felt more like the books, containing more complex themes and such.

vncredleader, Zeta1127 and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    Lol at Finn being beloved. Finn was equivalent of Jar Jar Binks.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, it's his inability to write a coherent plot or understand the Star Wars universe that downgrades his storytelling abilities.

6. DarthKuriboh

DarthKuriboh Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2007
    I can't stand anything jar jar abrams does... As a storyteller, he lacks talent. I'm still not sure why people go gaga over his nonsense... Even the newer trek movies he did fail to compare favorably to the older movies.

Also, Finn the Toilet Trooper is effectively useless.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    ... What?

8. Rynobot

Rynobot Jedi Master star 1

Aug 16, 2000
    After watching TFA, me opinion was that Finn was equal to Jar Jar. 18 months later my original opinion stands.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like Finn. :( He's sweet and funny and does not try to eat fruit with his tongue.

Rey and Poe are OK. There is only one new saga character that I cannot stand.

Personally I thought the Legends journey of the Big Three best ended where it did, or a little earlier, but the Solo kids up through The Unifying Force are my preferred canon.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    What? I though Jar Jar was the "for the kids" equivalent of R2 and 3PO which BB-8 filled the role of fantastically. As someone who was deeply upset by the end of the EU, I though The Force Awakens was amazing. Exactly what Star Wars needed filmwise. The new characters were fantastic! Finn is my least favorite of the new characters (I adore Rey) but I do not hate him at all. TFA did surprise me in a good way and I still love the EU and want more of it. There are some things Disney is doing I'm not big on but there were things done in the EU I wasn't a fan of either.

Taylore likes this.
  11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Finn was a purely incompetent comic relief character. Half the time he's only there acting like an idiot and making Rey look brilliant.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm following an AU fan-fic series where Darth Caedus and Tahiri going back in time from Inferno to Star By Star and Tahiri's actions do succeed in saving Anakin. Doesn't do anything for the Inferno era Tahiri and Darth Caedus but a whole era is opened up. Star By Star onwards is completely different. DNT, LOTF (Currently on-going), FOTJ (still to come), and the Legacy comic era (some stories already, with more to come) happen but events are changed dramatically. And eventually does tie into the NEU.
    Characters, planets, ships, groups, aliens, monsters, weapons etc from the OT, PT, TFA Bantam books, Del Rey books, Marvel Comics, Dark Horse comics, games, tv episodes, etc. Takes complete advantage of the 40 year history of SW. And actually has a Jedi Order, engaging enemies, a next generation of the Skywalker/Solo family and even a next generation after that.
    If we never get another old EU story, I'm fine just following the Anakin Solo lives series to whatever end.

And the most recent chapter of the LOTF era stories was way more engaging than the teaser trailer and whatever other info we have gotten for TLJ so far IMO.

13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Link to this fan fic your following?

14. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    To be honest, I really don't understand why us Star Wars fans have to be limited to one universe, and indeed I doubt we will have to forever. The whole "ONE CANON" thing only works once. Once they rebooted it with the NEU at that point there's no reason why the EU couldn't have continued on in a smaller capacity. There's dozens of iterations of various Superhero characters and multiple variations of Star Trek and it seems bizarre to me that Star Wars is trapped into one timeline. You even have the legends brand to easily differentiate!

Truthfully if they think there is money to be made there I'm sure eventually we will see "STAR WARS LEGENDS: FUTURE OF THE FORCE: ECLIPSE" by James Luceno or something. It will be touted as the "The return of Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo, Tenal Ka, Jagged Fel, and the heroes of the NEW JEDI ORDER!" and will a big deal.

15. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
  16. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    True your right about that-my one fear is by the time the suits at Disney and Lucasfilm are considering such an idea most Legends fans will have given up or moved on.

18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    True fans never forget.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Come on. "True fans" is one of the worst terms you can throw around. It's like you chucking a can of petrol on a fire and then going 'hey, I didn't know that was going to blow up!'. Well, maybe you didn't, now you do.

There's just better ways to phrase your position that give you a far better return in way of responses.

If you really want future Legends stories, forget about the existing fans and get new fans, new people to buy the material because it's money that talks on this far louder to Disney than message board posts.

20. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017

He definitely had the klutzy thing down, but I think that Finn is also the moral wild-card with uncertainly loyalties, i.e. the Han Solo character.

Finn is the closest thing that TFA has to Jar Jar, but that's relatively speaking, because there's nothing in TFA on the level of Jar Jar.

Anyway, while I do find the new story underwhelming so far, I love the characters. They have room to grow, which at least gives one reason to hope.

I kind of doubt that we'll see more Legends media, although if we do it won't be until the current trilogy is complete. New releases will be 'canon' since that's what virtually everything Star Wars is sold based on these days (objectively; I don't care for this approach much myself).

Should there be more? Yeah, because there's still an audience/market for those things. It would be really nice if Lucasfilm were to create a sub-group that published new media and licensed merchandise. Maybe even a subscription/club thing so that those of us who are into it could participate/buy, and the average casual fan wouldn't feel confused when shopping. Star Wars is big enough to support something like that. But--I'm sure that it's in no way any sort of discernible priority right now, if ever. Disney/Lucasfilm can do business to infinity with the new stuff.

21. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Yes money speaks. We are trying to convince Disney or the power that be if they write legend eu books, there is money to be made.

Yes the term true fan may offend people. It offends me when someone implies intentionally or unintentionally that I am no true fan. It was an unfortunate phrase. But there you are. A more accurate phrase may be people who are/would be still interested in original eu no matter what happens.

There is no need for us vs them here. Please do not advise legend eu fans to leave.

Jedi Ben why should we forget existing fans and get new fans? That makes no sense.

22. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I was honestly joking when I said "true fans". What I really meant was Disney should market a hypothetical EU story to the more dedicated fans who aren't abandoning the universe.
    Anyway, I think web content would be the best bet for future EU stories, as it's probably much cheaper.

23. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    I could live with the EU version of the ultimate comics.
    But I want Legend EU Canonicity. Canonicity within the Legend EU.
    Webcontents are like 15 minutes youtube videos.
    TT

24. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    What do you mean by 'Legend EU Canonicity'?
    Web content is content on the web, not just YouTube videos. I'm saying EU stories would probably be released on the web, either in comic or text form.

25. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    The reason LucasFilm decided not to continue Legends is because they would have crunched the numbers and found it unprofitable once the NEU got underway. Maintaining two continuities isn't free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.