main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More Powerful? Luke or Jedi trained from birth???

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Talon_WildCard, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_WildCard

Talon_WildCard Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2003
    I was just wondering the opinions of other people. About 5 years ago when the Playstation game Masters of Teras Kasi came out I remember reading a post when EpI came out that If there were old republic Jedi in the game they would Smack Luke around like a Lady because they were trained from birth and Luke was trained for a short time at an older age.
    I was wondering why Luke is regarded so highly? Is it because he is Anakin's son. Or because he is the Hero of the OT. What do you guys think???

2. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Like Lucas has said before concerning saber fights. Vader is half-machine, Obi and Yoda are old guys, and Luke learns from these old guys.
    On the other hand, the Jedi and Sith in the prequals are at their prime in this point of the stroy.
    I have no doubt that Maul would be able to kill Luke without him even realizing the fight has started. Same thing with any other prequal vs original saber fight.

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hummm, Luke would get creamed by the prequel Jedi simple because they have more training, and experiance fighting.

Now with all the prequel Jedi gone, Luke can basciallly beat most people in the New order.

4. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    Going from your question I would have to say that Luke is probably more powerful because he is Anakin's son, but is less skilled because of the lack of training. We see the same with Anakin in AOTC. He is probably more powerful than Dooku, but Dooku is a more skilled Jedi/Sith.

5. Talon_WildCard

Talon_WildCard Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2003
    Like Lucas has said before concerning saber fights. Vader is half-machine, Obi and Yoda are old guys, and Luke learns from these old guys. ~~~Atomik

Is this quote referring to a specific question on this matter asked to him or is it just a quote that he has said out of context.
    To me it would seem that just because obi and yoda are old guys doesn't mean they can't teach you the right way. I mean In terms of life span, Yoda was already Old in the PT but he could still train a darn good Jedi.
    From experience I know that a 75 yr old batting coach could teach me to swing a baseball bat very well down to the base mechanics of the swing, even better than a 30 yr old coach could do it just because the 75 yr old knew what he was teaching (very well I might add). In terms of SW it makes me believe that Yoda could still be a good teacher. But I posted this to gather opinions from other well versed SW fans so thanx for the posts and keep them coming.

Ps. as of now I still have to go with the pre empire Jedi over Luke..if anyone would like to offer an opinion to change my mind I'd love to hear it.This has just been a burning question on my mind ever since the PT started.

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think that Luke eventually became as skilled as the old Jedi, but it probably took him another decade or so to get there.

7. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Luke is more powerful in the force than most Jedi would be (mainly because he is the Chosen One's son, he's trained by Yoda and Obi-Wan, and because he tampered into the darkside during his training between TESB and ROTJ, and as Lucas said, the darkside is the stronger side of the force).

But in saber skills alone, Luke would get destroyed by pretty much everybody we've seen duel in the PT [face_devil]

8. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Gotta agree with that. More powerful but less skilled.

9. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Here is the exact quote from the Ep1 DVD, disc 2, Web Documentaries > Prime of the Jedi

"I was looking for kind of sword fighting that was reminiscent of what was in the old movies that we'd already done, but a more energized version of it. Because we've actaully never seen real Jedi's at work, we'd only seen old men, and crippled half droid half men, and young boys that had learned from these people.
    So to see a Jedi fighting in the prime of the Jedi I wanted it to be a much more energetic and faster version of what we've been doing."

"it would seem that just because obi and yoda are old guys doesn't mean they can't teach you the right way"
    I agree, but remember that Luke was only taught by Obi and Yoda for an extremely short period of time compared to what Padawan's in the PT would have received. :cool:

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    EU Luke, around the time of the NJO, could definitely hold his own against any PT Jedi.

ROTJ Luke, well, he'd put up a good fight but lose in a duel. Unless he got REALLY angry, in which case I'd up his odds to 50/50. A fully Dark Side Luke would probably throw starships at people.

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    A Jedi trained from birth would kick Skywalker's @$$!

12. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    Luke is weak. WEAK.

Luke vs. Coleman Trebor. Now THAT would be a fight! A pretty fair matchup, no?

Battle of the 2 worst jedi!

13. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I think Luke is more powerful but he wouldn't be able to use that power since he was only trained for a short period of time. A jedi trained from birth could use all their power while Luke could only use some of his.

14. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Starships, lol. Scary thing is, it's true. One major thing to remember is that Luke went from no training to beating Vader is an extremely short span of time. There's no way Maul would just destroy him. ROTJ Luke is not that far behind TPM Obi-Wan. The duels in the Prequels-especially TPM duel-are better because Lucas hired much more skilled stunt coordinators to set them up. If he had used state of the art martial arts trainers for the OT duels, they would have been on the same level.

15. Kia-Ruse

Kia-Ruse Jedi Master star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    remember that Luke survived a duel with Vader in ESB (Vader was only toying with Luke for half of that fight). No other Jedi could have ever held off the Lord of the Sith with so little formal training. So that is testament to both Yoda and Obi Wan's training AND Luke's overwhelming emphasis in The Force.

I agree that if Luke had stepped thirty or forty years back in time, he'd be out of his league with the Jedi that were around at the time. But saying that, he'd still be a force to be reckoned with. Pure midichlorian genetics! It's still amazing how far Luke came so fast!!!!

16. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Be cool if some Old Order Jedi survived the purge and are aroun dto give some wisdom and training tothe new kids on the block. Nab the best from BOTH orders and you've an awesome Jedi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.