main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit more Sinjir!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Daneira, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Sinjir was a very important character in the Aftermath series, but no one has done anything with him since then. As Aphra has already shown that a comic featuring an original character with gray morality who isn’t a straight and white can be successful, and because new canon loves the post-ANH, pre-ESB period, I think an OT-era Sinjir comic would be warranted, if not necessary. His job as an ISB loyalty officer is the perfect role for the “good Imperial” schtick as we’ve seen in the past from the likes of Mara Jade, Jahan Cross, and Inferno Squad.

Plus we can ship him with literally character he encounters of the same gender. It’s worked so well with Aphra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Nah he's boring

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    ;-;

4. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I got really excited when I saw this thread title but then realized it wasn't because of an actual announcement. :p

But yes, I agree. MORE SINJIR!

5. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Sinphra? Aphjir?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

6. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Dear God no. All the characters from that trilogy became hideously boring by the end, if they had not started that way.

7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Ex-Imperial Loyalty Officer turned Shady New Republic Spec-Ops turned Political Adviser to Mon Mothma?

That sounds like an awesome person to make more stories about.

8. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Which is why it's a shame he became someone who told bad jokes in all situations and basically the most uninteresting flavour he could have been. Sort of like Finn.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd argue that having him be like that is crucial to his character. He's a deeply conflicted person with a host of unresolved issues pertaining to his Imperial service. His humor and alcoholism are coping mechanisms that keep him from having to face those issues. Using comedy to cope with tragedy is not only a widely used trope, but something that happens a lot in real life as well.

BobaMatt likes this.
  10. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    It's crucial to his character to be a poorly written character who tells weird, unfunny jokes? Nah, I tend to think that like most things in that trilogy it was just poor writing.

If Allston was still with us, I'd be happy for him to try to redeem the character but I don't know if anyone else could.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I’d be for an Agent of the Empire style comic featuring Sinjir. Or perhaps he could appear in the Poe comic, I bet old guy Sinjir could give the first order some trouble.

But yes, more Sinjir.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I want Sinjir in live action, beating up idiots (homophobic idiots would be a bonus) in bars while making wisecracks.

“Sorry about the mess.”

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  13. UnshavenWookie14

UnshavenWookie14 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2017
    Agree. Thought he was a good character. Not sure why his jokes are on trial?

Plus I’ve said before that I’m a fan of non-film characters being used to expand the canon timeline. Shows the storyboard isnt dead set on sticking to entries that branch off and end. I like seeing characters created in novels/comics being used to expand the timeline outside the films (rather than being killed off at the end of their initial story). Doctor Aphra has done well with fans in this role

14. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Great idea! We should also make a character who goes around beating up people who criticise Sci-Fi franchises. How meta and cool would that be.

15. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    What?

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  16. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I just feel like having characters beating up homophobes is a bit on the nose. It's like Rose's spiel in TLJ about slavery and animal cruelty.

Landb and SilentGuy66 like this.
  17. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    I would be down for more Sinjir, I actually enjoyed the Aftermath Trilogy, sure, it wasn't the best, but it was still entertaining, though the first book was a bit of a slog.

Sith Iratus and UnshavenWookie14 like this.
  18. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    I want a Sinjir and Conder spy adventure set during the Sequel Trilogy era.

19. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I don't see where homophobia really makes sense in Star Wars. Two people of the same sex being in a relationship seems pretty mundane compared to all the exotic aliens out there to freak people out. There's just no reason why homophobia would be a thing in alien societies without our human based societal influence (often influenced by our human religions)
    But yes, more Sinjir and Conder please. Sinjir particularly is too interesting not to ever see again.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Slavery, animal cruelty and homophobia are evil in any universe so I have no issues with characters giving spiels against all of them or physically defeating those who support them.

I do agree that there would be no reason for homophobia to exist at all, though.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  21. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    Yeah. After they chilled out with the interludes a bit it got smoother. Life Debt and Empires End didn’t seem so choppy

22. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Absolutely this. Was trying to think how best to explain my thoughts on it but this is basically it.

Landb and Endor_boy like this.
  23. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Weirdly the interludes were my favourite bits.

24. UnshavenWookie14

Oct 20, 2017
    I didn’t phrase my original comment right. I didn’t mean to say I didn’t like them, because I thought they gave good POVs from around the galaxy. But I found them to be way to frequent in Aftermath. I’d start to get into a characters story and then it’d jump. I felt like in the LD and EE they had less off them but they were longer and more complete when they popped up.

Basically I didn’t get 5 pages of a random character and then not see him/her again for 150 pages.

Xander Vos likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    In my head, Sinjir is Michael Fassbender so somebody cast Michael Fassbender as Sinjir and make a movie about him being good at torture, drunk, and trying to work his way through politics.