main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More SW eBooks!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ChicagoCubs, Dec 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChicagoCubs

ChicagoCubs Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    On TOS forums, one of the VIPs said that they plan to release an eBook with each new hardcover from now on.

"The e-books: There will be an ebook released about a month (hopefully) before each hardcover, whether it's a Clone Wars or a Classic hardcover." -one of the VIPs, I'm not sure who they are in real life.

In my opinion this is both good and bad. The good part is that there will be more SW lit, which is never a bad thing. But they will be in eBook form, which isn't my favorite.

Here is a link.

2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    For me that's really good news. Most SW books aren't published in my home country so I have to buy them via Amazon. eBooks are easier to buy (at least, they arrive sooner!).

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What's that sputtering of pops and crackles that I'm hearing? Oh, I know: it's the overload-failure of camel vertebrae.

Methinks that, after Shatterpoint, I shall only be buying the Star Wars books once they're out in paperback.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I agree. I don't have access to a credit card, and won't be able to get one. The only one that I've read is the Darth Maul one...
    And a Yoda one is in the works! :(

5. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Not to mention that I read a LOT of my SW books first via the local library.

:(

6. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i love hard covers, this mean iam going to by the hard and soft covers.
    these ebooks are getting annoying.

7. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I love e-books. You get more official story, and for a small price.

8. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I don't mind e-books at all, but I prefer something that I can put on a shelf after I'm done with it. I'm not about to print out a whole e-book, so I suppose I can wait for the softcovers...

9. Sticks220

Sticks220 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    I'm happy. I love ebooks because I have them on my laptop and it means I have stuff to read when I go places where I can't take along a bunch of real books.

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    You get more official story, and for a small price.

I disagree.

A hardcover is, in the US, 20-30 dollars, and a SW hardcover will be 300-500 pages usually, with some exceptions like Star by Star. That's about, very approximately, 16 pages to the dollar, but it's nice binding that will last.

A paperback will be about 7 dollars, same page range. That's almost 60 pages to the dollar -- significantly more, but lower quality binding.

An ebook will be about 3-4 dollars, at about 50-100 pages. That's about 20 pages to the dollar -- only slightly better than a hardback, but with no binding whatsoever, and the added drawback that staring at a backlit monitor is hardly good for your eyes. If the thing were printable, it'd be a different story, but, well . . .

11. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    e-books are created to make less strain than normal reading.

And put it this way. They're not essential, and wouldn't be made otherwise. Don't want to read them? All you lose are extras. Want to? Good for you, here's the story.

This is a less dramatic version of LOTR. You can buy normal, you can buy extended.

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    In my opinion all it is is the oppurtunity to make more money.

They realize that people will buy the e-books and then buy the paperback which includes the e-book.

It's really annoying in my opinion. **Shrugs**

13. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    While the novels are made out of the goodness of their hearts, right?

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    ebook have and will continue to be included in their hardback to paperback conversions. All I have to do is wait another year for Destiny's Way, and I'll get Ylesia with it. The same way I (im)patiently waited for Shadow Hunter and SBS.

Shadow Hunter, with eSaboteur
    Star By Star, with eRecovery
    Destiny's Way, with eYlesia
    Shatterpoint, with (Stover's story)

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    If they keep doing what they've been doing with the e-books so far, I can't see a bad point to it. I've so far managed to get Sabotuer and Recovery by getting the paperbacks to Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter and Star by Star. And Ylseia is supposed to be in the Destiny's Way paperback when it comes out. As long as they keep putting the e-books in the paperbacks to hardcovers, those of us who don't get the e-books in their regular format can still get them in a much more traditional format.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Agreed! Just a little long year to wait . . .

17. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Exactly. You get them if you wait anyway. So why moan?

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    What REALLY bugs me is if these e-books are meant to be released a month before hardcovers- WHY in god's name can't they include them in the damn hardcovers?!?!?

Arg!

19. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Because they cant give us a taste of the author early :)

20. Cradok

Cradok Jedi Master star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    *Sigh*

21. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    I have never bought an E-Book but from by understanding, what happens if u' delete it? do u' have to buy it again?( I apologise if my ignorance is too much)....I prefer paper I don' know why but I do...

22. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    You re-DL it, for free

23. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Ah right...makes sense
    ReaperFett please change your icon, each time I look at it I laugh too much...Its starting to hurt.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The first three e-books were great, and I hope more are released.

25. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    AFAIK, you can only re-download them from the same computer with the same installation of the ebook reader software though.

I think if you buy a new computer and install the reader, you need to take some extra steps to get your ebooks without buying them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.