Tips & Tricks More trooper mods

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by christoff88, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    I haven't actually installed any fans yet, but that's pretty much the plan. I might even run some sort of small tube/duct to the top of the helmet to suck out the hot air.

I'll have to try different things out, but I'll update here & my site when I get around to it.
  2. BingoBongo275 Jedi Knight

Regarding the new trooper helmets from the guys who made the originals.
    [image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/July/AASteve-4.jpg]

theyre from the original 1976 moulds and they've used the same colour plastic as was used in 1976 (although its Styrene rather than ABS). However the original material was a milky-white colour yet looking at most armour out there (afx, gf, mfx) they are all made from an "inaccurate" bright white almost blue/white colour. so there could be a difference.

In summary the SDS helmet would be the "right" colour but the armor would be "wrong" if you know what I mean. Also as it comes with a plaque/stand I think its supposed to be more of a display piece.

[image=http://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/July/complete1.jpg]

cheers

jez
  3. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Well, here are pics of my completed Fem-Trooper fresh from D*con...
    [image=http://www.swchick.com/images/costumes/trooper/trooper_06.jpg]
    [image=http://www.swchick.com/images/costumes/trooper/trooper_05.jpg]
    [image=http://www.swchick.com/images/costumes/trooper/trooper_09.jpg]

and the rest of the pics can be seen here.
  4. ladystar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Very cool costume-you did a fantastic job!! I've seen a few more pictures of Femme troopers in the DC thread (Thomas's link). You'll all have to get together at C3, that'd be a great photo!!

PS: The rifle is awesome, how did you do it?
  5. Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Mirax, those are great photos. :)
  6. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Thank you. The Photos were done by my best friend Art. He did pics like this for quite a few of us at D*con. The gun is an MG 42 that was cut down to fit me better. It is made out of rubber and is very lightweight.
  7. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Mirax,

Awesome costume. Keep up the great work. I wish Kim and I had been able to make it to DC this year....perhaps next year. Take care and I look forward to meeting up again.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison Public Relations Officer
    South Texas Squad
    San Antonio, Tx
  8. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    damn... wich I could'a made D'Con... *sigh*... but I least I got to do my guard duty over Peter Mayhew at SFX...

Mirax... those are great pics... and wow... looking good I might add... nice... gun...

Got the new straps on the armour... new belt... dyed the pouches finally... hopefully my backpack arrives for the Grape and Wine parade next weekend... that'd be icing on the cake for me!... and for the Cherry... a friend is making Diamond Sniper Plates... too sweet...
  9. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
  10. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    Here I am working hard outside the HMV for the DVD release...

[image=http://grey-starr.ca/501st/my_pics/hmv-b-21sep04.jpg]

and here you'll find me in the white pauldron during the pre-release presentation...

[image=http://grey-starr.ca/501st/my_pics/hmv-a-21sep04.jpg]

Everyone behaved, so no one had to be stuned...

501st.ca site ...

EDIT - That cool hardback poster of the cover in the background is what the first 100 people got.. custom made by FOX/HMV for the release (this store only)... and yes... I did get one!... SCORE!...

11. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    How did everyone put on their Snaps?... put through a fabric and glued on?...
  12. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Grey, long time no talk to my brother - the best way to attach the snaps is to get either a plastic Handicapped sign from Home Depot sign (inside the store that is - NOT one from the Parking lot dude !!) or if you have a place that you can get ABS plastic by the sheet, the better.

You cut the plastic in to strips about 3/4" in length and a 1/4" to 1/2" in width (enough to where the snap looks flush with it.

Drill a hole that's big enough for the male part of the snap to fit through the bottom of the plastic strip(insert Beavis and Butthead laughter here)

Than you break out the Plumber's Goop (remember ventilation or you will be hearing Jimi Hendrix music and left with one brain cell to where you are deduced to making caveman paintings on your walls with crushed berries and . . . Nevermind)

Clamp the strips down to your armor and leave it to dry overnite and walla !!! You have snaps on your armor.

I think I still have pics somewhere that I can send you if you need more details Bro :)

Take Care

John
  13. tk7602 Jedi Padawan

my suspension system is done by way of rivets, snaps, scrap plastic and abs cement.

take the thigh straps for example. i took a strip of elastic cut to length. on one end, i riveted on a rectangle of ABS (using the 2 part rivets available from tandy or any other leather supply place). on the other end of the strap i attached 1/2 of the snap.

the other half of the snap was put onto another rectangle of abs.

i used the abs cement to glue the riveted side of the strap to the thigh armor. the snap half was cemented to the ab plate. then i snap the 2 together.

the only places i have velcro are the insides of the forearms and the back of the calves.
  14. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Well boys, I will be going sandy soon. My buddy is sending out his paints and Fullers earth so I can get dirty ;)
  15. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    TK, do you have any pictures because I'm having trouble visualizing what you describe?
  16. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's a nice looking amp... http://store.xtremegadget.com/nextp6powaam.html

Thanks for the snap replies BTW... though I still have to do the work... I've got my supplies!
  17. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Give yourself to tha Dirty Side Mirax !!!
  18. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    Regarding that amp from Xtremegadget...

I ordered it because it looked like it might be something quick & easy that I could just wear & not worry about for Halloween under my trooper armor.

NOT.

It's MUCH thicker than I expected & was totally unable to use it over the weekend for my armor's unveiling. The amp itself seems like it works great, but I'm going to have to pop open the case & see if I can trim down the footprint a lot. If not I'll either have to trash the idea or stick in in a backpack when I get around to building one.
  19. grey_starr Jedi Master

star 4
    The Radioshack amp is also pretty big... but once painted white... most people don't even see it on the armour... I just strap it to my belt...

BUT... I am thinking about maybe putting speakers into the shoulder ammo pouch... maybe...
  20. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Since we're on the subject of the radio shack amps, I need some ideas about how to secure mine on my belt. The problem is that its too long to fit on there. There's isn't enough room between the front part of the belt with the ridges and the back where the detonator sits. Can anyone think of a way I could maybe hang it sideways off my belt? I should probably get this figured out soon since Halloween is coming up.
  21. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Remove the soundboard and install it in your helmet and wire up some mini-speakers in your areator tips.

-John
  22. iycis Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm pretty sure I have no idea how to do any of that nor do I have the time. So how about something easier?
  23. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    Another quick update on the amp: It's about 2x2x7.5 inches in size, but you can cut the thickness in about half by opening up the unit & relocating the speaker. Still too big to hide behind armor though. :(
  24. VoijaRisa Force Ghost

star 5
    I have a few questions:

-For those that made a body cast on which to mould the amror, using the DP tutorial, how many plaster bandages should I order?

-For the clay to do the moulding, is there any good websites to order from, or would I be better off trying to find a local dealer?

I'm sure I'll have more as this project goes on. Thanks in advance for any help.
  25. Klivian Jedi Knight

You guys might not hear it enough, but this thread is an awesome resource.

I can't tell you how much help it was assembling my armor over the past month or so.

Thanks to all that took the time to post and help lurkers like me. (I'll try to stop lurking now, though)
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.