Tips & Tricks More trooper mods

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by christoff88, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chansplace Jedi Master

star 4
    I finally got the liner in, I put the clips towards the back so that I have room for my glasses. I used an epoxy glue to stick the clips, and i can still slide the liner in and out but cant adjust he position of it because of the clip placement.

I got some white boots from an op-shop, they look pretty good and were only $NZ24 :)
    the only problem is the soles are an ugly creamy colour and i cant get them changed cos they are moulded, so i'll have to spray them black
  2. tk2972 Jedi Padawan

Hi folks

once again thanks for all the advice and tips - you are all very generous and it is great to feel the camaraderie that exists in the 501st, even though I am not quite yet a member.

I have nearly completed my armor (desperate to send my pics in and get ID?ed) although have come up against some hurdles that have slowed me down. Please let me share what I have done and what I?d like some advice with.

Completed to date:
    Helmet: Darkened interior / frown cutout / applied customised frown decals / frown material hotglued / flat green lenses applied ***headband yet to be done***
    Arms: palms have stock Velcro/elastic but down at the wrist; bridge at the knuckles for elastic band / forearms one seam ABS glued / biceps both seams ABS glued / shoulder bells attached to upper torso (shoulder straps via snaps)
    Legs: thighs both seams ABS glued; snap applied for suspenders / shins front seam ABS glued; shim added to rear / left knee plate white riveted in place
    Upper torso: front and back joined with shoulder straps using ABS glue / reinforced from underside with spare ABS that has snap for shoulder bell attachment (elastic runs down to shoulder bell and bicep)
    Lower front torso: separated cod piece at detail line (as per BASSOFeeSH?s pics) / applied black buttons
    Boots: maxed out the VISA and got the CA Boots (factory defects) which are wonderful!

Ok now the tricky part?can I please ask you for your advice on these things?
    Biceps: these feel very uncomfortable. I think perhaps I should cut down one seam (both being glued ? doh!) and insert a shim.
    Forearms: these are too long and pinch ? which is the best end to trim? I expect the elbow crease is the best? Also I need to add shims for a little extra comfort
    Cod piece ? BASSO, I have cut like you did (made sense at the time) although I want to use TonyRB TK-300?s belt mod (not sure if I am allowed to put his url in here?). So now I am really stuck. Where do I fix the belt ? to the cod or the chest? How many points of connection should I use and at what spacing? Should I allow a gap for it to move? Will it really allow me to sit or am I just after some flex while walking around and bending over? I am now a little too chicken to cut the butt plate off given that my confidence waned after cutting the cod.
    Shins/boots: has anyone needed to protect their boots from the shin pieces rubbing? If so, how?

Sorry for the epistle guys?but I have steamed on steadily and carefully?but now come a little unstuck.

kind regards

Aaron
    TK-notquiteyet
  3. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm not sure what mod you're referring to(give me the link), but my belt attaches to the lower piece after the separation.
  4. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    I finally bought my armor! I love it. And thanks to everyone who has added to this thread, it has helped alot. Things are going great, but I still need a little help with my bucket mods. I bought the Radio Shack amp (the black one) and will be purchasing the hyperdyne labs trooper voice amp once they are back in stock.

But I have no idea how to put this all together. I have also heard about putting mini-speakers in your areator tips, but I have no idea how to do this either! If anyone could help me with this I would be grateful.

Can't wait to see everyone at C3!!
  5. loki41872 Force Ghost

star 4
    Do not fear the trooper armor. I built mine from out of the box to wearing it at an event in three days. I just completed my girlfriends armor (not a femtrooper, she's a regular TK) and it was 6 hours from openning the box untill she put it on for the first time.

Those times INCLUDE:

Cutting the frown

Trimming the HECK out of her armor and heating it and molding it to her scrawny little body

Applying/re-adjusting all straps and fasteners.

Final adjustments and trimming after first fit.

I know when you open the box it seems like a HUGE project, but it's very easy if you have ANY experience assembling anything.

A dremel, a high heat glue gun, fast drying cement, industrial velcro and a rivet gun makes the TK project a breeze. Without doing all the cutting and trimming I had to do with hers I could put a TK together in about four hours.
  6. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    PM sent to ya jedi_blynnj

Post Pics Troopers !!!

Juan - Out !
  7. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Thanks, Juan!

Still need help with knowing how to hook up the hyperdyne labs trooper voice amp to the radio shack (black) amp. Anyone?
  8. Darkmood Jedi Master

star 4
    Hyperdyne is a great guy who makes top notch stuff! You should enjoy whatever you purchase from him.
  9. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Greetings jedi_blynnj, as for hooking up the HDL Voice mod, I believe their main site should shed some light on that, there should be two inputs, one for the mic to go in to and one to direct to the amp . . .

If you need more info, let me know

Juan - OUT!!!
  10. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Thanks again, Juan!!!

I can't wait to finish this armor so I can wear it and join the 501st! I'll post pics as soon as I can!
  11. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well Friends, a buddy of mine from Killeen came in to town last nite and dropped off his TK so that I can mod it and convert him to the DIRTY SIDE !!!!

I got most of the adhesive and velcro off his armor and I also finished up the Imperial C-section. We also picked up some necessities to help fit his armor more comfortable to him. My buddy Patrick also asked for me to handle the weathering of his TD armor. I will post some before and after pics as I go along . . .

I've really had a great time sharing ideas and resources with everone here and let's keep this thread alive for new people just getting ready to suit up for EP3 !!!!

Take Care Friends

Juan - Out

Used to be a TD, now soon to be a TC . . .

12. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    ARGH!! I think I really messed up my armor. I finished asembling everything and looked great, ready to sign up for the 501st. Then, I came home from work yesterday and found my dog got out of the kitchen! (We pen him up when we're not home.) He chewed up part of my costume!! Well, thankfully it was only one part (The righ thigh). Well, I've tried to fix it. I bought a fiberglass patch kit, thinking that would work. Then I painted the piece white. Well, now it looks banged up and not as smooth and shiny as everything else. Someone help me. Should I just leave it and hope no one notices, or try to find a replacment part (I've already checked e-bay). Sorry for the long post, but I'm so frustrated.
  13. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Send pics !!! - more than likely you can patch it up with Bondo . . .

I'll see what I can help ya with . . .

Take Care

TC-7012 - OUT !!!
  14. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Ok, took me a bit to find a place to host my image. Anyway, here is my thigh piece. I placed the bad one next to the good one so you could see the difference. The one on the right is the one the dog chewed on. I tried a fiberglass patch kit and then sprayed it white. It still looks messed up, but I'm hoping that is still good enough for the 501st. It also has a different sheen then the good thigh piece. If you have any suggestions, I'd be greatful.

http://img190.exs.cx/img190/1497/stormtrooperthighmistake6ay.jpg
  15. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    Won't the ammo belt be covering that up anyway?
  16. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, it does cover most of it. But I always worry about stuff like this, wondering if anyone is really going to notice.

Or if it's just really obvious to just me.

Am I worrying too much?
  17. BASSOFeeSH Jedi Knight

star 1
    Probably worrying too much, but you can always hide it with dirt & go Sandtrooper. ;)
  18. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's really not that noticeable, you can do a bit of sanding and if you really wanna be a stickler for it - bondo, sand and paint . . .

Take Care

Juan - OUT !!!
  19. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Great to see the thread being kept alive. John has some great advice for all the troopers. We learned quite a bit through experience and trial and error. Thanks John. Continue the the good work and advice. I know many appreciate it. When I can I'll offer what help I can. I look forward to seeing more pics of future troopers TD or TK.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison Public Relations Officer
    South Texas Squad
    San Antonio, Tx
  20. jedi_blynnj Jedi Master

star 1
    Here it is!

[image=http://img176.exs.cx/img176/7460/10014315zb.jpg]

I just finished applying for the 501st! Now I just need to finish my rifle, so can start destroying rebel scum!!! :D

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. It has helped so much!
  21. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Awesome work Brooke !!!

I can barely even tell which thigh piece fell prey to your dogs teeth . . .

Post more pics when get more people !!!

Juan - OUT !!!
  22. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So, any advise on a voice changer system as far as what to get and what not. I've heard there are some that suck and you can hear your actual voice more than the synthisized one.
  23. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes watch out for those dog teeth lol. Oh and not of experence dogs like glasses too so don't let them near them. :)
  24. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    S_S edit: soliciting for costumes/props is against our Forum Rules:

-No soliciting. This includes creating threads with the sole purpose of asking where to purchase unlicensed costumes and props or asking for someone to make and sell you an unlicensed costume and/or prop.
  25. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Spooky - feel free to PM me about the vendors that out there, we don't want to anger the forum Gods here :)

Take Care

Juan
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.