Tips & Tricks More trooper mods

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by christoff88, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    Thanks! :) I was looking at his yesterday but I wanted to see if I could come up with the deluxe first.
  2. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I had the same problem with the thighs...one of my thighs was bigger....I played it safe and cut a 2" piece of ABS and glued it to the halves! Now they fit much better.....not only am I to short for a stormtrooper....but my thighs and biceps are to big! Now keep in mind I not out of shape (ok ok, I am 10 pounds over)My arms and legs have almost no extra cushing on them....but man are they packed in this armor.....the gut is where there is some cushion....Atkins diet...here I come! ;)
  3. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just noticed that I need to stop working out a bit cause I may Hulk out in my bicep pieces on my armor :)

TD7012 - OUT !!!!
    John Laurel
  4. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I almost cried the first time i tried on my body suit without the armor, that form fitting Lycra is very unforgiven on bellies!
  5. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    LOL - I hear ya Chris, my beer belly looks like I am smuggling a basketball . . .

Take Care Buddy :)
    TD7012 - OUT !!!

John Laurel
  6. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok guys....I just got done putting fans in the helmet! What a difference! Now I just need to get my hands on a amplifier......

Jess
  7. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Jess, good to hear you got the windage going !!!!

If ya go the cheap route for now, you can get one of those voice amps at Walmart for $4.

Take Care Buddy
    TD7012 - OUT !!!

John Laurel
  8. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    John,

Where do I look at in Wal-mart? I went to 2 today and searched in toys and in the halloween section.

-Jess
  9. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    They were located in the Halloween section at mine . . .

$4 a piece - let me know if you are able to find them . . .

TD7012 - OUT !!!
    John Laurel
  10. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I will check the other Wal-Marts tonight!!! ;)
  11. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Best of luck to ya buddy - they had em in the Halloween section. They aren't that good but it'll do for the time being . . .

Take Care Buddy

TD7012 - OUT !!!
    John Laurel
  12. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    OK, I'm finally ready to glue my helmet dome in, so hopefully this will be my last question regarding that. As far as crewing on the earpieces... how tight should those things be? the round piece on mine are nearly flush, but the long part that covers the helmet seam sticks out kind of far. I'm guessing this is normal? My main concern here is having the two halves lined up right prior to glueing on the top. On one side, there's a bit of a gap, but I think it's supposed to have a gap, as the earpiece covers that. On the other side, the helmet halves kind of overlap. Is this normal, or should i be making sure both sides look pretty much the same?
  13. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I am having some problems here....3 days ago before I applied the Industrial Velcro to the calves....I sanded the spots it would go. Then I applied the Velcro...today I take a look and all of the velcro has peeled off....ok...so I say to myself..."Self...lets apply some Plumbers Goop to the back of the velcro and get it to really stick!" Now it has turned into a gooey mess....and it does not look like it is going to dry! :_|

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Check the link at the bottom of my post here and click on "My Stormie Armor"

You will get to see some progress....

Also...the armor is shown on the manniquin I built out of wood and alot of padding!

14. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Geckko, your armor is looking pretty sharp. Not sure what to say about the velcro. So far, mine has held on pretty well with only a minimal amount of sanding. I did notice that on the biceps pieces there was a little bit of lifting, but I just put clamps on it and left it overnight. Seemed to do the trick. You might want to get some Goo Gone and just get that sticky mess out of there.
  15. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    I also had problems with Jason's calve pieces with the velcro sliding off....I have restuck them a couple of times and plan on taking extra velcro when we go anywhere wearing it...
    QS
  16. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Stupid velco. Alas, one more question as I prepare to glue the lid on my bucket. With the Goop, do you have to put it on both pieces being glued, or will it hold if you only glue one side? I don't want to make a mess when I fi the dome in, and was thinking of just putting glue around the inner edge of the mask halves, then popping the dome in. I think I'm going to skip the rivets on the leg pieces and go with goop there as well.
  17. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey Jess, the Plumber's Goop will eventually dry, if you want, you can remove the velcro pieces and the Goop and then try again.

Chris, on your bucket, I would say that the Hot Glue may be better on there than the Goop if you're concerned about it getting messy.

Velcro can be trying my times my friends, but I know that I am experimenting with some different ways for velcro to be applied to the calves.

Oh an Jess, Awesome work on the armor - keep up the pics !!!

TD7012 - OUT !!!
    John Laurel
  18. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    I tried with no success using Plumber's Goop on Jason's helmet and ended up using the cement...it would not stick those hard hat clips on for NOTHING...no amount of pressure, curing time or anything would work for me...so I scraped it all off and used the cement and it worked perfect. I was getting pretty upset with it and about had a busted bucket out in my driveway...(alas my Scorpio temper-ha ha ha!)
    But, now it is fine and my insanity is still intact! ;)
    QS
  19. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I used the cement that came with the armor for the helmet. After it had dried...I turned the helmet over and used a hot glue gun and let drip in the cracks...and as it was drying...I applied pressure to both sides and that sealed it up real nice!
  20. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone have any suggestions on where to find some screen material for the mouth vents....I have gone to Lowes and Home Depot for this....they only sell it in a wrapped bulk package. If I was doing a garrison of Troopers...that might work...but since I am doing only one.... :confused:
  21. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gecko, PM me your address and I'll send you some. I broke down and bought the bulk package, so I ended up with quite a bit. I'd be happy to send you some.
  22. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    QS - The Plumber's Goop works well on your armor pieces but we do recommend that Hot Glue should be used on the bucket. Plumber's Goop works well when you are clamping parts together and ABS cement may eat through your helmet so for those of you still working on your bucket, Hot Glue may be the best route, just make sure you give it an ample amount of time to bond.

Chris and Jess, it's awesome to see you two helping one another out. When Jim and myself finished working on his armor and modding mine, we wanted to make our selves available to others in case they needed some tips, I'm glad that this thread was started by ya Chris and I'm looking forward in seeing more pics from you guys !!!!

Hopefully we can all meet at C3 !!!

Take Care Friends
    TD7012 - OUT !!!!
    John Laurel
  23. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    The abs cement worked the best for me with putting the helmet together (hard hat clips, etc.) but I was very careful not to use clamps with it to hold the clips, or not to use too much to avoid any possible warping/eating my helmet. I basically took off most of the excess off of the little cotton-ballesque applicator and barely dabbed the cement on. I can see where it would cause lots of trouble if you just globbed it on...less is more when using the cement...
    As far as the mesh, I preferred using a nylon mesh (not the aluminum mesh like used for window screens) it is more flexible than aluminum and in larger stores like Lowes and in some Ace Hardwares it can be found in huge rolls where it can be cut by the foot like you would by chain or rope-this is what I did.
    QS
  24. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Glad to hear all is going well. The main problem I had with using ABS cement is that the parts are permanently welded. Early on I found it necessary to pull out the hard hat liner and readjust it several times for a better fit...not possible (or more precisely - easy)if I had used ABS cement. I think adjustablity is very important as you'll come to find that as your armor assembly gets closer to completion the ability to adjust this area and that area are key factors in comfort and wearability.

Also as John has stated in the past its extremely important to use clamps to press out any air bubbles in the Plumber's Goop and then to let it set for 12+hrs untouched. That means no touching/trial fitting it at all for that time. Trust me, it has the strength to hold. On my helmet I used hot glue to mount the helmet liner in place as I wasn't aware of the Plumber's Goop at the time and it still remains in place several months later (after numerous repositions), recently I re-inforced the bond with a thin layer of Plumber's Goop over the Hot Glue and adjacent area. If I need to reposition the helmet liner in the future I'll use the Plumber's Goop and remove the dome so that it can be properly clamped in place (again, not an easy process but it can be done).

I recommend the helmet liner be glued in prior to complete assemby of the helmet as it will give you the room to use the clamps. Just have a buddy help out with the trial fitting and adjustment before gluing the helmet liner to the dome. Its also possible that using a large square of thin ABS from a handicaped parking sign could be glued to the helmet liner clamps to give them more surface area for final positioning and gluing to the inside of the helmet dome - similar to how we glued the snaps to the other armor pieces. Also, its important not to use too much Plumber's Goop....use just enough to coat the piece to be glued without causing it to "Goop" all over the place once the clamps are in place. I've found I need to apply it with a pencil tip or plastic knife blade (I hate the applicator tip it comes with) and then spread it out thinly with a finger. Then I find the rest of the afternoon and evening peeling dried Goop from my finger(s) while the parts are drying.

In any event, great to hear the progress and some great ideas that are working for you all. Its also exciting to see how many of you are helping each other out with new ideas as well as with extra items and such. If John or I can be of any further help don't hesitate to ask.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx
    501st.com Membership ID TK-6411
  25. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Getting so close now, it's pretty exciting. however, another question on the earpieces. have you all drilled out the dimples, or did anyone custom fit the ear pieces? I still have some gapping, and was considering taking the whole bucket apart again to redrill the holes on the back and front half. I figure if I drill them a little lower, the the long part of the ear piece will fit toghter against the mask halves. However, if I leave them where they are, I can finish my helmet this weekend. Any advice? I've tried looking around at pictures of other people's helmets, but can't find any good close ups of their buckets, so i don't know if I'm needlessly stressing or not.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.