Tips & Tricks More trooper mods

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by christoff88, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff

VIP
    star 3
    I also hate the Plumber's Goop applicator...you can squeeze the tube as lightly as you can, and it still just "keeps on coming out"...almost impossible to get a light enough application using it...I used an orangewood stick to apply it with. (a thin wooden stick you can get in beauty supply houses that is used to push nail cuticles back or to apply hot wax to small skin areas) I figure a Q-Tip would work as well if you ripped all the cotton off...
    We also used weather stripping inside the forearm pieces to hold them on tightly...great for smaller framed people.
    QS
  2. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    I wish I had the room in my forearms...Now I do not look like Popeye...but between my arms and legs....I am starting to wonder who Gran-Pappy was? ;)

-Jess
  3. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    QS, great ideas. Yes the Plumber's Goop is a mess to work with. It needs a better type of applicator.

Chris, I hear you. I figure you have a decent size gap and possibly some misalignment of the ear pieces after using the pre-molded dimples on the helmet face and back pieces right? Generally most troopers suffer with some slight gap and/or misalignment. Generally its not too big an issue as long as its not that sizable/noticable a problem. In my case I chose not to drill out the pre-molded dimpled marks on the helmet pieces but did drill holes in the pre-molded dimples on the ear pieces. Then I used those ear piece holes to make new marks for drilling when I repositioned the ear pieces for a better and more accurate fit. I marked on the ear pieces with a pencil areas where they didn't fit quite right. I used a heat gun to gently heat the ABS ear pieces in those areas needing work to get a much better/closer fit. That worked extremely well for me and I've been very happy with the cleaner look. As I said before, many troopers will have slight to severe gaps and misalignments in the ear piece area and its just a matter of how unsettling it is to you as to whether or not its worth the additional work to get a better fit. I just figured it was worth it for me as the helmet is the prized piece of the armor and gets the most attention. Click on the link below to see a pic of my helmet in a profile view that (small as the pic is) still shows little to no gap of the ear pieces. Let me or John know if there are any other questions. We'll try to be of help if we can.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx
    501st.com Membership ID TK-6411
  4. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jim or John- do either of you have any pics of your thigh shims? This is a mod I'm annoyed that I have to do, but after gleing the front seam on both pieces, it's obvious they aren't going to make it around my leg. I'm going to use the extra ABS strips, but any advice on how to apply them would be appreciate. This seems like a pretty common mod, I wonder why the good folk who make our armor haven't taken into consideration that quite a few troopers are a tad meaty!
  5. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chris, I'll work on getting pics of my thigh piece shims but till then here is a pic of what basically I've done to my thigh pieces its from The Cloud City Squad of Garrison Titan: Thigh Piece Shim Mod Pic and Info

I hope this helps.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx
  6. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    You're the bomb, my man. That helps alot. Did I notice in your MCF photos that you guys modified the belt too? It didn't look like ABS.
  7. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Chris

Hit the link at the bottom of this post...go to "My Stormie Armor" page and check out the belt mod I did....
  8. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gecko_Fett nice pics and great belt mod. Chris, Thanks and yes I modified my belt a bit differently than Gecko_Fett or the way the manual describes. I cut a long piece of white vinyl 4" wide and long enough to wrap around my body with armor on. Then I mounted the ABS belt to the vinyl via Plumber's Goop and two screws (at the dimpled moldings at the end of the ABS belt section) through eyelets I placed in the vinyl. Then I placed Industrial Strength White Velcro at the ends of the vinyl part of the belt kind of like a weight belt. It gives me room to adjust the belt and won't fall apart. I put small strips of IS Velcro on the inside of the front of the belt as well as on the outside lower ab and back plates and the top of the cod and butt plates to secure the belt in position. This way it stays put even when I bend over to pick something up off the floor. I then setup my Thermal detonator with a large ABS plate section as Gecko_Fett and sandwiched a large/wide piece of white elastic to loop between the ABS plates allowing the thermal detonator to slide into position on the belt. I have a piece of IS White Velcro on the Thermal detonator to fix it in place to the back plate thus securing the rear of the belt. Plus its dificult for someone to run off with the thermal detonator as its very securely attached to the belt and armor pieces.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx

9. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You guys ROCK !!!!

Man I am enjoying seeing the pics ladies and gentlemen, keep up the awesome work !!!

As always, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, let us know !!!

Take Care my Friends !!!

TD7012 - OUT !!!
    John Laurel
  10. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok Guys.....One last time that I am going to ask you to take a look at my pics! I did a test trial fit on myself (with the help of my wife)last night! I cannot believe what a difference it makes puting it on to me compared to putting it on a manniquin! ;)

Click the link at the bottom of my post and then click "My Stormtrooper Armor" then check out the 2nd page! Check back in a few days...I will have the backpack finished!

-Jess
  11. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gecko... snazzy! The armor looks great. I'm drooling over here, as mine is on hold awaiting a drill. Where did you get the belt? I want to modify mine as well, and I'm not sure where to get the supplies or how to attach.
    And for anyone else... are rivets permanent? I was debating riveting the ABS strips together for the belt now, and changing it over later.
  12. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
  13. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jess, glad to see you wearing the armor. It looks great. I like your choice of Pauldron color. I too like wearing the Grey Pauldron of the Dewback Patrol even though I have all the different colors - for some reason I just keep pulling out the Grey one. I'ld say you're definately on your way to joining the 501st. If you haven't signed up yet please do so and send your pics. Nice blaster rifle too. Ever notice that you don't fully appreciate your armor till you see it worn in pics....lol. Great job Trooper.

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx
  14. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Jim!

I sent my application in for the 501st yesterday!
  15. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok that is it You GUYS SUCK! just kidding. Man that armor is so sweet. with helmet i noticed from your pics you might want to put electral splicing caps over the back of those bolts you have to protect your face. Oh and how much did that sweet armor cost man. It is so Cool. Ok another question. Helmet mouth slits. In ANH they were grey in ESB and ROTJ they were black i manly see grey why is that and what would you suggest. That armor is so cool could you give me an estamated costs and the shoulder paldrons are nice to where did you get those.
  16. djmv Jedi Padawan

I have a question on the thigh pieces. I have trimmed my thigh pieces to raise them up and keep them from hitting my calve pieces. However, they still hit my abdomen armor when I try to kneel or bend over. I do not want to trim them any smaller or hang them lowere to avoid a large black gap above them. Any suggestions? Is there a better shape that I need to trim to?

BTW-The tips on the Cloud City link that StormLeader posted on Oct 2 are great! (link was for thigh shims)
  17. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Hawk-Bat

For starters...the armor was in the 5 bills range. As for the mouth...I love the gray look better...I do not know why...it just does! ;) As for costs...I paid $40.00 for the bodysuit, $35.00 for the boots, I got the 4 different colored pauldrons from TK507 on EBAY for $75.00 and I made the blaster myself!
  18. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok thanks. No if i could only get a job hmmmm. How did you make the blaster. And thanks for the help.
  19. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    The blaster is made out of PVC, wood and a bunch of little googlies i found around the workshop!
  20. Hawk-Bat Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok dam you guys are living my dream. What would i give for halloween in school to be in your costume. That would be great.
  21. christoff88 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Jim, thanks for the advice on the earpieces. I redrilled the wholes yesterday, and now i have a much tighter, neater fit. I can finally get my helmet glued together. And thanks John for the pics of the snaps. I'm working on those today, and hopefully I'l actually be able to don my armor by the weekend!
  22. Gecko_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Chris,
    I got the screens yesterday! Thanks Guy....I really appreciate it! They are going in to the helmet this afternoon. I am also going to start the Sandtrooper weathering....I think I am going to try a airbrush to get the results I am after! Pics will follow if I am succesful! ;)

-Jess
  23. ObiJuan70 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hey there Jess :)

For the weathering on mine, I went with Krylon Fusion Camo paint - the color was khaki and I sprayed mine at various angles and from various distances, I also used a brown rubber color from Rust-Oleum VERY lightly from 18inches away to give some areas a powder burn type of look.

If ya need any help, let me know :)

Take Care Friends
    TD7012 - OUT !!!
    John Laurel
  24. StormLeader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Chris, glad to be of help. I firmly believe armor is a constant work in progress with a little tweaking/adjusting here and there for the life of the trooper. Over the weekend we had a local 501st/FanForce hospital visit with some sick kids and I talked with fellow 501st trooper who's had his armor for 4yrs. He said he's allways working on an adjustment/mod here and there. Oh the life of a trooper.....

Jim Marshall
    Star Garrison
    San Antonio, Tx
  25. Reddobie Jedi Knight

Hello all, I am need of a little help. Iam working on a Tie Pilot Helmet and also a Stormtrooper Helmet. The Stormtrooper Helmet did not come with a hard hat liner or clips. I can get the hard hat liners, but where can I get 2 sets of hard hat clips?

Reddobie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.