main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

More Wampa footage in ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthDean, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthDean

DarthDean Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    Is it true that the Wampa is hiding out at the hoth base while Han and Leia are arguing? I read this in a post recently with deleted scenes in Esb. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. MyHomeThisIs

MyHomeThisIs Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2004
    Never heard of that before. The only time I've seen Wampas in Echo Base is in the SotE game.

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, this sequence was originally shot, but never made it into the final film. You can still find plenty of production stills online from this scene. And even a hint of it remains in the movie. If you look in the background during the scene where Han says, "Then I'll have to go out on tauntauns!" you can see 2-1B tending to a tauntaun that was injured during the Wampa attack.

4. DarthDean

DarthDean Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2003
    Thank you! You know a lot for a young jedi! Was the Wampa attacking originally at Echo base? Thanks!

5. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    A scene of the Rebels fighting the Wampa in Echo Base made it into the ESB comic adaption. IIRC they also explain what 21-B is doing to the taun taun in the novelization.

Wampa Wampa Wampa!!!

6. MasterAero

MasterAero Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2002
    Here's one site (of many) that have some info about it.

scene

Also remember after Han shoots the probe droid Leia says it might have been one of those creatures so apparently they'd been having probs with them.

7. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Hmmm, interesting, I was not aware that a wampa was originally shot to be in the base, but was later deleted. I guess that SOTE picked up on that deleted scene when they added wampas in Echo base.

8. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm sure I also remember in the kids version of "The Empire Strikes Back Storybook" that there was a wampa in there...

I also SWEAR that I remember Luke wearing something like a Bacta Mask for part of the scene when he is in the MedBay, although I'm not sure if it was the comic or one of the picture books or what, but I am sure he had one on at one point.

9. Darth Michigan

Darth Michigan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 1999
    That bit about the bacta mask is true. I think you can see it in the original theatrical trailer for ESB. I'm sure you can find it on the net somewhere.

10. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    I remember Luke and his bacta mask from seeing it in the theater. After many years of watching it on VHS, that parts not in it, I thought my memory was off and I was nuts until I saw info on it recently.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I've also heard that door 3PO stops and looks at warily when he, Han, and Leia were fleeing the base was supposed to be a room where the wampas were being kept. The sequence that appeared in early trailers that showed 3PO pulling a warning sign down from a door to trick Imperials into going in may have been set in front of the same door.

12. Darth Michigan

Darth Michigan Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 1999
    StarWarz.com has a lot of info on cut scenes. Go here for the ESB section.

13. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    "I've also heard that door 3PO stops and looks at warily when he, Han, and Leia were fleeing the base was supposed to be a room where the wampas were being kept. The sequence that appeared in early trailers that showed 3PO pulling a warning sign down from a door to trick Imperials into going in may have been set in front of the same door."

One of the links above shows pictures from this and describes it in detail.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yup, first a Wampa arm breaks out of the wall after Han and Leia finish arguing in the corridor (he could us e a good kiss!).

Next, 2-1B is attending to a slain Tauntaun when Han goes out looking for Luke.

Third, a R2-D2 is unknowingly followed down a corridor by a Wampa as Rebels start reacting in fear- R2 finally turns his head around and wails as he runs away from the beast, as Rebel troops with heavy weapons take the thing down.

Additional dialogue during Luke's bacta tank sequence has Leia and Han talking about the creatures.

Additional dialogue in the medcenter has them explaining that the Wampas were atracted to high pitched beeps and whistles (R2 demonstrates), and that they were able to herd them into a holding pen.

Then, as Han Leia and 3PO flee Echo Base (immediately before the cave-in), Han gives a serious look at the holding pen door, and 3Po stops and pulls the warning label off of it (this is why 3PO is so far behind Han and Leia in the next shot, depsite being right behind them at that point in time).

http://www.mastersoftheforce.com/ep456/videos/c3po.mov

Later, Snowtroopers enter the door and get slaughtered, Vader arrives later and asks if it was Rebels, to which a trooper replies "I don't think so, sir."

For the full dialogue (as well as numerous other additional scenes from other sources such as the Radio Drama), check out my example screenplay which complies them all into an expanded/alternate perspective of the events surrounding the Battle of Hoth here:

http://www.denimfilms.com/screenplays/SW-S1-EP14-FireAndIce.html

15. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    "Next, 2-1B is attending to a slain Tauntaun"

LoL, if it's slain then what could he possibly be doing to attend to it? :p

16. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    ^^
    Marinating it, what else?

17. MyHomeThisIs

Jan 7, 2004
    Yum, Won Ton Tauntaun :)

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He's probably going an autopsy/inspecting it.

[image=http://www.evan.org/sw/tauntaunlg.jpg]

19. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
  20. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    I actually remember seeing the above mentioned scenes in a copy of ESB when I was a little kid. I remember it because I always wondered why I didn't ever see it in any of the other copies of ESB I saw after that. It might have been the original VHS from when they first released the movies on VHS. I also remember a scene in RotJ where Luke uses the Force to jump up while in the Rancor pit and grab the grate that is on the floor in Jabba's Throne Room. Then Ree Yees and some other aliens stomp on his fingers until he lets go. I have seen this intercut with the rest of RotJ, but I have never seen it since that one viewing a long, long time ago.

The Cloner

Actually, now that I think about it, it could have been on the "From Star Wars to Jedi" VHS that I saw once or twice but I could swear I saw those scenes intercut with the rest of the movie like they had always existed.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, alot of deleted scenes, or stills from deleted scenes, found their way into other mediums- most famously is the Buggs scenes (including photos) being present in the Star Wars Storybook, as well as Luke grabbing the grating of the Rancor pit in the ROTJ Storybook.

The passage of time blends the images with the descriptions and childhood memories and can create an inaccurate recollection of events.

As far as I've been able to determine from the various sources that have researched the subject, most of the wampa scenes were never released in a finished cut of the film, as many of the scenes were never successfully filmed due to production problems with the suit and other issues. Some bits, however (like 3PO ripping off the warning label) found their way into early trailers and such.

However, I have no doubt that LFL has what footage was shot stored somewhere...hopefully tehre is enough to use for a restoration of the scenes for the ESB DVD.

22. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Here's another link for all the Star Wars cut scenes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.