main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Moriband? Korriban? Don't care?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by darth_mccartney, Mar 17, 2014.

?

Moriband? Korriban? Don't care?

1. Moriband

13 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. Korriban

51 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Don't care

36 vote(s)
    36.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Moriband? Korriban? Don't care? Which do you choose?

Personally I choose Moriband...I'd never heard the Korriban before people started kicking off about the change. Plus they used the name Moriband in the show, which as we all know is (along with the movies - obviously) the tip top of canon. Ergo it trumps books/games/everything else. I get that the Korriban was established elsewhere, but if anyone can overrule it it George Lucas!

What are your thoughts?

:)

V-2 and cwustudent like this.
  2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If you never heard of Korriban before 2014 your SW-fu is seriously weak. I mean, for a guy who's been on this board for 6 years. Come on.

Watch:

3. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I've heard of KOTOR but that's it. As far as I'm concerned the movies and The CLone Wars is canon. Any books and games are just books and games with the SW name attached. I know there's levels of canon, but as far as I'm concerned it's either canon according to the movies and The Clone Wars or it's not canon.

V-2, cwustudent and Pfluegermeister like this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I prefer Korriban (to me it's Kori-bon). However, I know my personal prefs won't affect what Disney does a bit. It's the name I know and I utterly ignore TCW as for me it brings absolutely nothing of merit to the universe. To each their own.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. DavraCahan

DavraCahan Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 3, 2013
    "I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Where are the Sith tombs?"

"Korriban. They're on Korriban."

As far as I'm concerned, TCW is pseudo-canon at best. A cartoonified version of the SW galaxy, open to nearly infinite interpretation.

Naturally, an individual's own perceptions will be influenced by their first impressions. If your first impression was "Moraband", then you're likely going to think of the planet as Moraband. If, like me, your first impression was "Korriban" and you've thought of it as Korriban for many years, then any other name is immaterial. ;)

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_laugh] Nice variation on a Cushing quote there! =D= Well said.

7. DavraCahan

Mar 3, 2013

Thankya. :D Just popped into my head, can't imagine why... ;)

8. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    :D Well, I appreciate it and you made a very valid point first impressions and time association can factor majorly how someone sees something.

9. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Therein lies the source of frustration. Star Wars is a cartoon. The whole thing is a serialized adventure aimed primarily at children with content that adults can enjoy as well. That means TCW gets it right, and soooooo many of those EU products get it sooooo horribly wrong.

V-2, vw_jedi, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Korriban rolls off the tongue better imo.

Contessa, Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    @ Ian passman: For some. It's all a matter of perception, Sir.

TKT likes this.
  12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't really care. I'm content with the notion that the same place can have multiple names. Like how in English we might refer to the Aztecs, while they refer to themselves as Mexica. Or how we say Spain, while in Spanish it is EspaƱa, Japan/Nippon, etc. I can easily accept the retcon that Moraband is balc while Korriban is basic (or vice versa).

V-2, Katarn's Beard and Togruta like this.
  13. DavraCahan

Mar 3, 2013

It goes right back to perceptions, though. The EU is aimed at an entirely different set of audiences. In its own way, it gets it just as "right" as TCW. It's also a part of what makes Star Wars so great in general. It's not just for kids, or just for adults or those who grew up with it, not just for the gamers or collectors, it's for all of them together. There's a niche for almost everybody who's ever heard the name Skywalker.

14. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Six PG ratings out of seven can't be that off the mark. It's the kids that turned this franchise into a juggernaut, and it's the kids that'll keep it alive in the decades to come. The best gift Disney could ever give them is a world without the EU.

V-2, darth_mccartney, vw_jedi and 2 others like this.
  15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Once again, to you. Not everyone shares this view, I certainly don't.

TKT likes this.
  16. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually prefer Moriband.

cwustudent likes this.
  17. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    But neither is he alone in that sentiment.

KenobiSkywalker and cwustudent like this.
  18. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Why? Given that the powers that be seem content to ignore it whenever they're making new stuff it's not really stepping on anyone's toes and constraining potential directions that any future children's cartoons can go in.

19. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Korriban was always Korriban for me, and that's what I prefer.

And although the Moraband name-change was silly and unnecessary, the justification of it being an alternative name for the planet or evidence of the evolution of language in the GFFA makes perfect sense to me, and I can live with it.

I'll still always call it Korriban.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    The unreliable narrator is what makes mythology so immersive and elaborate. The idea that the storyteller changes the story--as frustrating as it sometimes is--and creates apocryphal contributions to the Edda at large is a crucial element of the mystical power of mythology. With one story and one story alone, it would no longer have that cultural fluidity that slightly obscures the big picture. Yes, we have our exalted scholars who tell us what's official, but as with all mandates, it can't wipe from our minds that which has been revised.

I think getting too involved ("xX_If ThEy WiPe OuT tFu, We WaLk!!1!_Xx") is silly, but also... somehow, it has its place. Without people to take things too seriously and form these fiction-cults, there would be much less happening in the passage of time for the rest of us to sit on and think about with regard to the mythology we all subscribe to. I'm guilty of being snobby about that, but I also realize that while Star Wars isn't my divine pantheon the way it is for some, I do have my other systems and sets of things that I'm that particular about. We all do, really. Whether you're religious or not, there's something in all of our lives to which we apply that human religious fervor in our brains. If, for you, that's Star Wars, then I totally get why stuff like this is so important.

22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Couldn't you agree to both? That's what they say is "canon" anyways.

23. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Korriban. To Hell with Lucas' pointless changes.

24. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It will continue to be Korriban to me. Yoda having a different name for it is not a big deal to me. Voted "don't care."

25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.