main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Mormonism

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darkside_Spirit, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    Before anything explodes I want everyone to remember that this board was designed for freindly debates, not guting each othe ok?

2. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Well, anyone can say they have faith. It's how you live your life that proves if you have faith or not.

I agree with you though. Our works aren't what save us. It's our faith. But like I said before, our works testify to our faith.

EDIT: Thanks for the reminder, Blue_10. ;) People do get a little worked up at times. Including myself. [face_blush]

3. PowerfulJedi

PowerfulJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2000
    I agree with you Jedi Master.

Yeah, I thank you for the reminder too Blue-10.

4. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I kinda resent the inuendo that I am some sort of troll. What I last posted is what I belive in true. It is not propaganda or brainwashing. I did not mean to be humorous with my post, though it looked like most people who remarked about it found it funny, which is beyond me why they did. I'm also sort of disapointed that no other LDS posters agreed with or even acknowledged the validity of my above statements.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    One-sided, no objectivity at all. You might want to attempt to back up what you said. I know what you speak of, but I doubt many others here do. I had the benefit of growing up with Mormons around me and learning much of the theology involved with it.

I think people found it funny because it was so strongly one-sided that it seemed possible that it was a joke. I'm not saying it was, because I know it wasn't. I think it might have come across that way, though.

6. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I just went back and read my posts keeping in mind that many people wouldn't understand the Mormon religion as well as I do and I realized something. Most of you do not know MoronDude outside the context of this thread. And I come across as a stick-in-the-mud, and kind of a jerk. I'm not, really! I'm a Star Wars geek of the highest order. I know more about the NJO than I do about the Book of Mormon. So, what I'm saying is, I'm sorry if I came off as a jerk.

7. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    You didn't come off as a jerk, and I knew full well that your post was serious. But, as KnightWriter stated, it was kind of one-sided. ;) But don't worry about it, I've done the same thing many times. :)

8. Jorus_Kando

Jorus_Kando Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    MoronDude, I apologize for calling you a troll. But your argument did smack of propaganda. I'm a Catholic, and I could just as easily rely on my church's teachings to say it's the one, true way to God. So could an Evangelical Christian. So could a Methodist. So could a Protestant. Telling your audience that all of them are wrong and your way is the true path will do nothing but set up the stage for a never-ending debate on the virtues of each denomination.

As Christians, we come under enough fire from other religions, as well as the secular world. We should cherish the common element our religions have, which is the belief in Christ as the Messiah, instead of further alienating one another :)

9. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    Being a Mormon I basically agree with the concepts MoronDude mentioned, but, as I said, they came off very "dogmatic and heavy-handed." We do believe that there is a prophet of God on the earth who represents Jesus Christ and reveals his will. But there should be nothing like, "Believe it or else!" in our attitude. The current prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, is actually very tolerant, very easy going, and has a great sense of humor, which actually is not too different than the preceding leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Someone who met Joseph Smith back in the 1830's said of him, "He had very strong convictions about what he believed but at the same time was very willing to let me believe what I believed and was never disrespectful of it."

10. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    "We do believe that there is a prophet of God on the earth who represents Jesus Christ and reveals his will."

Is this not the Catholic's view of the Pope?

So who has the right "representative"?

( I mean this post with the utmost respect. :))

11. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    No, it is not the Catholic view. The pope reveals nothing new, and there has been no new revelation since Christ left this earth in our view. He is the shepherd, but does not reveal anything new.

12. Jorus_Kando

Nov 9, 2001
    Exactl, Jedi_Master. We can say "my guy is higher up in the heavenly food chain than your guy" all day long, and we'll never convince the other.

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    JK, not quite the same thing, in this case :).

14. GreedoCMZ

Mar 13, 1999
    I totally understand, Jedi Master (uh oh, I'm like totally turning into a valley girl here).

I think what is being discussed here is not, "Pope vs. Prophet?" I was just saying that if you believe that the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord's representative on earth, you can still portray such a belief in a respectful manner.

15. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    KnightWriter, what about all the decrees the Pope has made in the past? Many of them did not go along with what Jesus said. ;)

But let's not get into this argument, because as Jorus has stated, these arguments won't convince anyone. ;)

EDIT: I agree, GreedoCMZ. :)

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    According to whom? From a Catholic view, they do agree. Perspective, please.

17. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    I'd actually rather not get into this argument right now. I'm too lazy at the moment to dig up the evidence. :p ;)

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Evidence which has its own counter-evidence :).

19. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I agree with Greedo. I can't really think of anything else to say.

20. GreedoCMZ

Mar 13, 1999
    That's because I've trained you not to think for yourself. J/K It seems like you can only get into so much of a religious discussion at a Star Wars message board.

21. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    Not you, the Church. It seems you have covered that position so well I can't really think of anything else they have said. :p

22. Blue_10

Blue_10 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2001
    Coolguy, your finally at a loss for words after teaching these guys nearly all of our religion? [face_laugh]

23. GreedoCMZ

Mar 13, 1999
    I think he means as far as topics brought up here. Of course more could be said on each one but it apperas there's no burning issues at the moment in this thread.

24. PowerfulJedi

PowerfulJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2000
    As for Catholicism, they(if you think about it) worship idols. We should worship Jesus and the Triune God ONLY. Again I mean no offense, just my beliefs as a Lutheran.

25. Jorus_Kando

Nov 9, 2001
    "Catholics worship idols"
    "btw, I meant no offense."

Hypocrisy...

ps-- Learn a little more about a group before you slam it.